Does Finland have the best 23-under forward line by any country?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Looking at what a few of the young Finns are accomplishing these days, could Finland have the most dominant, legit, young line in the game? Age 23 and under...

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen

All three players are playing at roughly a PPG clip - Barkov is above, Rantanen exactly a PPG and Laine slightly under but is one of the elite snipers on the planet.

All three of these kids are insanely skilled and they are all massive in size, 6-4 and thick. And, when you think of it, they sort of form the perfect chemistry...

Laine is a pure shooter - perhaps one of the two or three best on the globe. Barkov is a hulking, two-way center who can pass and shoot equally as good. He's also a tremendous playmaker who thrives on deception. And he has world class puck possession skills. Rantanten is a top-end utility knife player who protects the puck as good as anyone in the league, pretty much. And, like Barkov, he can pass and shoot equally as well, which would play right into the hands of Laine. The thing is - if you try to take away Laine, Barkov and Rantanen can slice you apart themselves. If you don't pay special attention to Laine, he'll score a ton. Pick your poison.

I'm sure Canada and the US have some dynamic options as well, headlined by McDavid and Matthews, but I'm hard pressed to think of a legit possible line that matches this one in terms of size, skill and potential chemistry.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I guess you could debate that Barzal would have to play out of position on the wing but this line immediately comes to mind and is certainly better:

Barzal-McDavid-MacKinnon
Not enough pucks to get the most out of that line. You want to keep the best puck carriers in different lines.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't know if it is better then anyone elses but a strong case can be made it is as good as anyone currently.

Barkov-Laine-Rantanen matches up well with anything else any country has.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Canada and USA can match that easily.

In a tournament format, it would boil down to which line gels quicker and/or simply gets hot.

There's so many awesome young players coming into the league these days. Gonna be great to watch hockey for the next couple decades at least.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not enough pucks to get the most out of that line. You want to keep the best puck carriers in different lines.

Yes if you are talking about building a team overall but for that one line the Canadian line, 1 puck or not, would be a better line.

I am sure they would quickly get over the puck issue and dominate the other countries any time they were on the ice.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
USA 5 some

DeBrincat-Matthews-Boeser
Werenski-McAvoy

That above would kill anyone with tons of speed,hockey IQ and pure 5 on 5 goal scoring,
also would be really hard to score against.

All 3 forwards can be snipers + DeBrincat&Matthews can make the play as well as snipe,McAvoy can do it all.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
USA 5 some

DeBrincat-Matthews-Boeser
Werenski-McAvoy

That above would kill anyone with tons of speed,hockey IQ and pure 5 on 5 goal scoring,
also would be really hard to score against.

All 3 forwards can be snipers + DeBrincat&Matthews can make the play as well as snipe,McAvoy can do it all.

You're forgetting Eichel and Jones for D

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Laine( 6`5")-Barkov( 6`3")-Rantanen( 6`4")
Ristolainen( 6`3")-Lindell( 6`3")

Doesnt seem to bad and they have size too. Team Finland now:

Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen
Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi
Puljujärvi-Filppula-Armia

Ristolainen-Vatanen
Määttä- Heiskanen
Lindell-Honka
Nutivaara

Rinne
Raanta
Raanta

Spares: Komarov, Lehkonen,Kapanen, Vesalainen

I`d take on any team with this lineup. Great goaltending, great 2-way play and 3 snipers in Laine, Tolvanen, Vesalainen. The best part of it is that most guys are U25 and will be playing for years. Finnish hockey seem brighter than ever.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I wouldn't go that far. But I think we've never had a U23 trio that would be closer to what Canada & USA can bring to the table.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's up there, Laine's becoming one of the top goal scorers in the league. Rantanen's a good 1 as well. Barkov is over rated but is still a very good talent. Think though Canada and possibly the US might still have them beat though.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It's up there, Laine's becoming one of the top goal scorers in the league. Rantanen's a good 1 as well. Barkov is over rated but is still a very good talent. Think though Canada and possibly the US might still have them beat though.

In what way is a 22yr old 1C on PPG with selke-caliber defense, 122 stickchecks(next one <100), 6 SHG, 56,8% defensive zone starts and faceoffs at 55% overrated?

Reactions: Lovsan and mattihp

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Uhm.. Canada doesn't ring bells?

Of course Canada rings bells, but I'm specifically asking u23 and players playing in their correct positions. Chemistry also being a big part of it. Like in the case of Barzal-McDavid-MacKinnon, you're taking 3 centerman and forming a "star line." Try making that line using McDavid as the centerpiece then giving him two wingers U23 that compliment the line. Same with Eichel and Matthews - two centerman who love to control the puck and shoot the puck. The best suggestion I've seen so far has been DeBrincat-Matthews-Boeser, but I would still put the Finns up there with them (or ahead of them) based on pure chemistry roles, size and strength.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
People who say "Canada" haven't put the actual lineups out...

You aren't playing 3 top centers as a single line just because, right?

Although, x-McDavid-MacKinnon would likely still be the best. MacKinnon has had great success as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->