Speculation: Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

Does Engvall deserve to be on the Leafs?

• Total voters

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He's one of our better defensive winger options. As it stands he's needed for our shutdown line.

3rd line right now would be Engvall/Kampf/Mikheyev
Kerfoot - Kampf - Mikheyev would be a way better 3rd line. Bunting on the second and with Engvall traded and the open cap space we can use towards a winger to play with Matthews.

Reactions: CupcakeSprinkles

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This guy is 6'5 , played 13 minutes in a game 7 and didn't throw a single hit?

I'm surprised he's still on the roster.

Engvall was a direct result of 2 goals that line scored

He actually took a hit to make a play that led to a goal( He didn't get an assist) , second he made the pass that led to a goal

I don't have a problem. He still hasn't played more than 100 games in NHL and somehow without playing with good players, without getting any PP he has put up 27 points in 90 games

Not throwing a hit? even the guys who were supposed to throw hits didn't throw hits ( Looking at you Simmonds)

That's more to do with the Leafs less to do with him

I say give him 20-30 games in 4th line. I do not question his confidence, he can really carry the puck

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes a tyical 3rd/4th line player. great defensively limited offensively ....

what in the world are people expecting bottom 6 players to do ?
you want a bunch of travis boyds out there ? sure they will score but for every 5 goals they score then will let in 20.

engvall - kampf - mik ... will be an insanly good shutdown tandem.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
hes a tyical 3rd/4th line player. great defensively limited offensively ....

what in the world are people expecting bottom 6 players to do ?
you want a bunch of travis boyds out there ? sure they will score but for every 5 goals they score then will let in 20.

engvall - kampf - mik ... will be an insanly good shutdown tandem.

I am sorry to say but this shut down crap needs to stop. That's like the softest line I have ever seen and I am a leafs fan I have seen soft lines
Are you goign to have a shut down line against McDavid who plays 24 mins a game? When will our stars play?

Our star line should be our shut down line, they should be holding on to the puck so other teams dont' get chances. Other teams should have to worry about our guys than other way around

Get a hitting line. That's more effective to have more than anything.
Martin Czek line was effective. Very effective
Goodrow line was a good hitting line
Eaves line was very effective in hitting and causing turn overs. They ruined Girard's confidence

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I am sorry to say but this shut down crap needs to stop. That's like the softest line I have ever seen and I am a leafs fan I have seen soft lines
Are you goign to have a shut down line against McDavid who plays 24 mins a game? When will our stars play?

Our star line should be our shut down line, they should be holding on to the puck so other teams dont' get chances. Other teams should have to worry about our guys than other way around

Get a hitting line. That's more effective to have more than anything.
Martin Czek line was effective. Very effective
Goodrow line was a good hitting line
Eaves line was very effective in hitting and causing turn overs. They ruined Girard's confidence

thats your opinion. danault, bergeron, bonino , wennberg are amazing defensive guys and dont play physical.
just because you hit doesnt make you a good defensive player. goodluck trying to shutdown mcdavid with "hits"

did i mention a shutdown line playing 20+ min a night ? thats your interpretation. all it means is we have a line that the coach wouldn't worry about playing 15-16 min a night against the other teams top 6 so that the team can have better matchups. thats all it is .

Reactions: Northernguy10

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Would prefer someone else, but I think we might roll two low event lines for the bottom six, probably won't produce much, but not getting scored on either, so if that is the case, he is fine.

Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Engvall - Kampf - Spezza

Would give us 4 defensively responsible lines and 2 that really drive offense, mind you, I think both these can contribute sparingly, but these would be two annoying lines to play against.

Definitely would not hate this.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
When he played with Marchment in the AHL I thought they looked great…..hitting people….circling around after the whistle just waiting for someone to do something. The only time he seems to play with an edge is if he’s partnered with tough players. Not sure what I think about that lol.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
thats your opinion. danault, bergeron, bonino , wennberg are amazing defensive guys and dont play physical.
just because you hit doesnt make you a good defensive player. goodluck trying to shutdown mcdavid with "hits"

Yes, if we can get Bergeron, I'll slot him anywhere because unlike our players you mentioned, Bergy can do 10 other stuff to win you games
Like pass the puck, score some goals, make plays
Denault is very underrated physical player actually.

You don't have to play all physical, but you cannot be just all about defensive game either.
The line you produced, is all defensive. There's no physicality nor there is any offense

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think engvall offers anything of substance we can't get from a 750k-900k player. So no. And I'd be looking to move him

Reactions: DivInit23

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Yes, if we can get Bergeron, I'll slot him anywhere because unlike our players you mentioned, Bergy can do 10 other stuff to win you games
Like pass the puck, score some goals, make plays
Denault is very underrated physical player actually.

You don't have to play all physical, but you cannot be just all about defensive game either.
The line you produced, is all defensive. There's no physicality nor there is any offense

i live in montreal and pretty much watch all danault games, using your login he would be a garbage forward because he drives 0 offense. just saying. you cant have it both ways.

also if you looking just at "goals" sure that line may not produce but mik and engvall were extreely effective at getting positive shot and chance attempts last year. if mik even scored 10% of his chances he would be looked at better on these boards. Also having your best PKers on the same line is great so that kerfoot, marner and others can rest and their lines dont get jumbled after a pk kill.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yes. He is a solid bottom six forward for us based on our cap constraints.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly I think Pierre has the skill to be in the NHL but he doesn't have the will. Soft as baby shit for someone his size. I am not asking Pierre to run guys out of the building, just be physically engaged in the play. Go into the corners, use his body to gain position on the puck...etc.

Willy is not a "physical player" but he is one of the best on our team at protecting the puck and using his body efficiently to dispossess the puck from the opponent. I am not sure why Pierre refuses to at least try to play that way.

To me, he is not an NHL'er until he figures that aspect of his game out. It is a shame, because it really isn't hard to learn, and he has the skill to play in the league. He is just far too hesitant of a player IMO. He looks terribly unconfident most of the time.

Last edited:

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I would trade Matthews to ARZ for Chychrun + Keller + and the then trade Marner+ to BUF for Eichel. Then trade Rielly/Muzzin for a forward like JT Miller.

Ahaha you do realize there is a second GM who has to agree with you right? No way Buf says yes to eichel for Marner straight up…much less Morgan Reilly for JT Miller straight up man give your head a shake multiple times…thank god you aren’t Leafs GM

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Ahaha you do realize there is a second GM who has to agree with you right? No way Buf says yes to eichel for Marner straight up…much less Morgan Reilly for JT Miller straight up man give your head a shake multiple times…thank god you aren’t Leafs GM
Where did I say Marner straight up for Eichel? Clearly you have a reading comprehension issue. Of course another GM has to agree. This is HFBoards, none of his is real. The point is the team is top heavy and those are the players I would target in a trade to balance out the roster.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
He’s ok. My issue is him and Mik are too similar and Mik does everything a little better. we need more variety in the lineup. would prefer to move him for something different. More jam. More offense. Better PK. Anything.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Engvall is fine in a vacuum and could certainly find a role on a good NHL team. The problem is when your bottom 6 is shaping up to be Engvall, Mikheyev, Kampf, Bunting, Spezza, Simmonds, and/or Brooks, then you're probably in contention for the least amount of secondary scoring from your bottom 6 in the league.

A Mikheyev-Kampf-Engvall line for example looks like a pretty solid shutdown line, but with virtually no offence. So you'd probably want to compliment that with a depth scoring line, but Bunting-Brooks-Spezza isn't exactly producing the type of offence Tampa got from the Gourde line, Washington got from the Eller line, St. Louis got from the Bozak line, Pittsburgh got from the Kessel line, etc (when looking at the 3rd lines on some recent Cup winners).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He’s a useful athlete who should be in the NHL but the downside is he doesn’t compliment it he core pieces farther up the lineup with any kind of bottom six snarl. It’s not so great when you need a tough guy to activate him since these bottom six guys ought to be self starters. He and Mikheyev are redundant and they both play with that deer caught in headlights look whenever things get a little rough.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Anyone remember the HEM line? What happened to that?
No more Hyman so therefore around here that means no balls so therefore the other two are useless… personally I see them putting kampf between Engvall and soup and creating a line that for 12ish 5v5 mins a game will shut everything down and basically turn the game into who can get the job done between our top 2 lines and the opponents second and Third lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad