Does Dallas' Run Feel Strange?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Reactions: Kranix

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Dallas in prime position to win this thing. Tampa lost game 5 so another game of rest for the stars. I think our series goes the distance so they get a nice long rest. Definite advantage for Dallas against whoever they play next.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's hilarious how you have now added the word "clearly" into the sentence.

:laugh:
I need to clearly make things over-the-top obvious so there's no misunderstanding. Since "debatable" means "better than." And, yes, it is debatable.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I laid it out. Johnson is as valuable to the Avs as Klingberg is the Stars. Next. :sarcasm:

This just isnt true. The Avs can move the puck up the ice without Johnson and defend well enough without him and score goals. Stars only have like 3 or 4 goals this entire postseason when Klingberg or Heiskanen are NOT on the ice...and they're one of the highest scoring teams in it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This just isnt true. The Avs can move the puck up the ice without Johnson and defend well enough without him and score goals. Stars only have like 3 or 4 goals this entire postseason when Klingberg or Heiskanen are NOT on the ice...and they're one of the highest scoring teams in it.
Not having Johnson cost the Avs the playoffs. But, whatever, your Stars are moving on--enjoy and good luck. This started out as a comment about depth reversal and has gotten out of hand.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
If Monty gets another shot it won't be with Dallas.

Bowness was able to put his mark on the system through the season and playoffs, this isn't Monty's system anymore.

Monty's system isn't even Monty's system, he wanted to play possession hockey, not defense first hockey, but when he got here he realized that wasn't an option because the team was built around Hitch's boring defense first system, so he changed his system.
Well, called that one...

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
There's actually been a fair amount of that, tbh. :laugh:

If both teams were fully healthy? Sure, good chance the Avs might have won. I even picked 'em to win before the series started. Nearly pulled it off, too.

But I do still get a chuckle out of the odd salty fan who insists that the Stars don't deserve to be Western champs.
mf avs busted my bracket tbh.

get some goaltending depth for crying out loud!
maybe theycan snag khudobin in the offseason

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
dallas is built for the way the leagute is going and they're going to produce a lot of copycat attempts. they've drafted and developed an absolute elite defensive unit full of players that can score and defend adeptly and isn't full of plodding penalty killers and selectively physical presences. they beat you with speed in transition and those defense turning into attackers. the nhl is soon going positionless. think about it this way, if a player turns into a liability when the puck is in your team's possession, your team is playing shorthanded 4 on 5 hockey. to make up for that offensive liability they present, they have to be honest to thomas elite at suppression. but if you fill your team with players who are decent to good enough defensively and can roll a five man attack to score without accounting for the liability of a player that can't participate in the offense, you're a lot closer theoretically to winning the battle. the stars are just loaded with those guys. especially when you put a goaltender playing elite hockey behind them.

Reactions: kabidjan18

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
St.Louis won it all with an interim HC, if Dallas does it we all know the secret to winning it all now. Fire the head coach and name an interim before the playoffs.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
As a Finn I am not that overly impressed with what the Swedes of Dallas come up with this far (but Sweden media is!); John Klingberg starts every power play, and I mean every power play, and quite often he gets nothin' done - then comes the "Finland" boys for the rest of the 50 seconds or so and makes total mayhem.

Mattias Janmark plays in the second line of the Dallas Stars from time to time - and he has 0+5 (!) on his CV. No Dallas sharpshooter exactly.

That about me for the Finland vs Sweden ... war.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
dallas is built for the way the leagute is going and they're going to produce a lot of copycat attempts. they've drafted and developed an absolute elite defensive unit full of players that can score and defend adeptly and isn't full of plodding penalty killers and selectively physical presences. they beat you with speed in transition and those defense turning into attackers. the nhl is soon going positionless. think about it this way, if a player turns into a liability when the puck is in your team's possession, your team is playing shorthanded 4 on 5 hockey. to make up for that offensive liability they present, they have to be honest to thomas elite at suppression. but if you fill your team with players who are decent to good enough defensively and can roll a five man attack to score without accounting for the liability of a player that can't participate in the offense, you're a lot closer theoretically to winning the battle. the stars are just loaded with those guys. especially when you put a goaltender playing elite hockey behind them.
This. I don't think the NHL is quite going "positionless", but the best teams will be the teams whose players have a range of skills. And almost more important to note is that their forwards play defense even in the offensive zone. Lindell will jump up or Klingberg or Oleksiak or Heiskanen, even Sekera. Sometimes both Ds jump up. And they don't just jump up they stay up. As a result, you could have a center and even a winger playing point defenseman for 15 seconds at a time. And they have to be able to seal the point, defend the break, do everything that a defenseman would normally do.

That's even more important than the Dman jumping up. Because the rate of conversion for a Dman jumping up is significantly lower than the rate that can be punished if the puck gets by the point. Dallas forwards are not known for scoring, but what they can do is they can defend, down to the last man. It's what makes it possible for Lindell or Oleksiak or these other defensemen to jump up in the zone.

Reactions: Vagrant

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
As a Finn I am not that overly impressed with what the Swedes of Dallas come up with this far (but Sweden media is!); John Klingberg starts every power play, and I mean every power play, and quite often he gets nothin' done - then comes the "Finland" boys for the rest of the 50 seconds or so and makes total mayhem.

Mattias Janmark plays in the second line of the Dallas Stars from time to time - and he has 0+5 (!) on his CV. No Dallas sharpshooter exactly.

That about me for the Finland vs Sweden ... war.
Lol what? What? Did you not see last game?

Miro was switched onto the PP1...and it was Klingberg's unit that scored the tying goal and then the winning goal...

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Let's not pretend like Dallas was clearly the better team, series went to OT in game 7, series was decided on a bounce. Main difference in that series was goaltending.

Dallas doesn't scare me anyways in the future, they have an aging core that won't be a threat as soon as next year. Their fans sound like San Jose fans after beating us last year and look at where they are now. Colorado is built to compete for at least the next 5 years.
One made it to the Stanley Cup, the other didn't...

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I would probably not be making this argument directly after the Stars win an elimination Game 5 on the back of two PPG's with Klingberg having the primary assist on both.

Klingberg is awesome and has been a huge part of the team's success. Get out of here with the nationalistic garbage.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pretty sure that dude is just doing the usual Finland-Sweden chirping stuff and not that serious .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad