Does Dallas' Run Feel Strange?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
What's stark to me isn't even thinking EJ is better but thinking they're at all similar. I mean, I could understand an argument that goes like "well, EJ is a better defensive defenseman than...Johns, or than Polak." Ok, that's a reasonable discussion to have. But comparing him to Klingberg?

That's literally like if Isles fans (to be fair, none have, none are this foolish), said "yeah, you're missing Brayden Point? Well, we're missing Casey Cizikas." Like woah. Those are nothing alike. Cizikas is very good in his role as a energy player, defensive bottom-6 style forward, can kill penalties. Cizikas makes great contributions to the game. But the Tampa equivalent of Cizikas is not Point. It would be absurd to suggest.

Reactions: Elysian

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Johnson was maybe the #4 defenseman for Colorado until he got injured and suddenly they were "missing their best defenseman." Super disingenuous.

What are you babbling about? Who said Colorado was missing their best defenseman? That is clearly Cale Makar.

Who said Johnson was better than Klingberg? And if you think Klingberg is better than Heiskanen, you're out of your mind. I don't care if Heiskanen is 11 years old and still rides a bike.

It seems as if people take what someone posted, twist it, then make it into some fabrication lol. I don't think "Erik Johnson is better than John Klingberg" was mentioned once in this thread. If it was, my mistake.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
What are you babbling about? Who said Colorado was missing their best defenseman? That is clearly Cale Makar. If you think Klingberg is better than Heiskanen, you're out of your mind. I don't care if Heiskanen is 11 years old and still rides a bike.

numerous Avs fans have said it several times during the series and shortly after. Regardless dude, you’re stating EJ is better than Klinger when its not even close. Hard to take anyone seriously when someone spits out that take.

Reactions: Elysian

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
numerous Avs fans have said it several times during the series and shortly after. Regardless dude, you’re stating EJ is better than Klinger when its not even close. Hard to take anyone seriously when someone spits out that take.
To be fair, he's not stating EJ is better, only that it's debatable. That, on its very face, is farcical, but still.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Regardless dude, you’re stating EJ is better than Klinger when its not even close. Hard to take anyone seriously when someone spits out that take.

Point to where I said that. Please do. I just gave you the out--by clarifying that I never said such words--and here you are doubling down. Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but this is twice in the same thread where you are literally making up something and claiming I said it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It seems as if people take what someone posted, twist it, then make it into some fabrication lol. I don't think "Erik Johnson is better than John Klingberg" was mentioned once in this thread. If it was, my mistake.

Are you serious?

Just one page back you said it was "debatable" that Klingberg was better than Johnson? Now you're acting as if people are twisting words and fabricating things?

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Imagine thinking EJ is better than Klingberg.

just imagine...
EJ is better than Klingberg purely defensively, but clearly not per offensive D creativity

if you ask me this is sour apples, sour oranges. benn is older and slower than landeskog, and right now is playing great. but building a team going forward...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You think there is a debate to be had about whether Klingberg is better than Erik Johnson?

I'd love to hear the debate.

Ok, let me clarify for arguments sake. If I had to choose Johnson or Klingberg for my team, I take Klingberg based on offensive ability and age. But we are not comparing Nick Lidstrom and Ken Daneyko here.

I will tell you my debate...

Erik Johnson is better defensively. John Klingberg is clearly better offensively.

Erik Johnson is 6-4, 225 and Klingberg is 6-2, 180. While size isn't the be all and end all, Erik Johnson has a longer reach and wingspan... and is bigger and stronger.

Erik Johnson had 115 blocked shots vs. Klingberg's 72.

Erik Johnson had 97 hits vs. Klingberg's 29.

Erik Johnson was a +9 while Klingberg was a -10.

So, again, I said I would take Klingberg if given the choice, but Johnson is, in fact, more valuable in ways. So, yes, it's debatable unless we're only playing fantasy hockey or XBOX.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Are you serious?

Just one page back you said it was "debatable" that Klingberg was better than Johnson? Now you're acting as if people are twisting words and fabricating things?

Since when does "debatable" mean "Erik Johnson is clearly better than John Klingberg?"

Again, I'll wait.

suprafastcelica

Oct 30, 2006
As far as Colorado, it is down to depth. I figured it up for the entire series. Mac had 5 goal and 7 assist for the series. That's 12 points. Colorado scored 29 goals total. Mac was involved in 41% of the 29 goals. It might even be higher if third assists were a thing to. Just like the Dallas of old (Benn and Seguin) you cannot win games with one line. It just does not work.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
i swear colorado fans hijack every stars thread now to preach how they would've won if not for injuries.

ridiculous.

Playoff hatred is how real rivalries are formed, so it's not too bad IMO.

I just worry that Colorado fans won't be able to remember the playoff hatred since their playoffs ended so long ago. :(

Reactions: JeffP

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Point to where I said that. Please do. I just gave you the out--by clarifying that I never said such words--and here you are doubling down. Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but this is twice in the same thread where you are literally making up something and claiming I said it.

when you quote “debatable” to someone claiming Player X is better than Player Y, you 100% come off as you disagree and take Player Y. Why else would you quote what you quoted if you still pick X in the end? Aka Klinger.

aside from being salty af.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
when you quote “debatable” to someone claiming Player X is better than Player Y, you 100% come off as you disagree and take Player Y. Why else would you quote what you quoted if you still pick X in the end? Aka Klinger.

aside from being salty af.

I'm not salty lol. I'm a Flyers fan. I legit think you possibly have me confused with someone else. I'm simply trying to offer a fair outside perspective.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Jesus. So many misrepresentations.
EJ is not better than Klingberg. He is more important to the Avs than Klingberg is to the Stars,though.. And not only because he is the veteran leader of the group. And I easily take Landeskog over Benn so I don't think that comparison was completely horrible.

The only reason the Stars didn't get run out of town by the Avs were Colorados beyond awful goaltending and their beyond awful special teams. They killed them 5on5. EJ is by far the best D when it comes to killing penalties. So it certainly had a big impact.
I mean you guys won. But you needed OT in game 7 to beat a heavily injured Avs team playing their 3rd goalie...
Nobody will care about that if you get to lift the cup soon. So why do you care if Avs fans believe they would have beaten you guys if not for injuries? Stop being horrible winners...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jesus. So many misrepresentations.
EJ is not better than Klingberg. He is more important to the Avs than Klingberg is to the Stars. And not only because he is the veteran leader of the group.
The only reason the Stars didn't get run out of town by the Avs were Colorados beyond awful goaltending and their beyond awful special teams. They killed them 5on5. EJ is by far the best D when it comes to killing penalties.
I mean you guys won. But you needed OT in game 7 to beat a heavily injured Avs team playing their 3rd goalie...
Nobody will care about that if you get to lift the cup soon. Stop being horrible winners please...

Stop being horrible winners? Is this serious?

Stars’ fans aren’t the ones bringing up the Avs all over the place in any way.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Stop being horrible winners? Is this serious?

Stars’ fans aren’t the ones bringing up the Avs all over the place in any way.

Yeah I am serious. Stars fans keep moaning about Avs fans believing they would have beaten the Stars if not for these god damn injuries which is a very reasonable take. But the injuries happened and you guys get to play in the Stanley Cup final so why do Stars fans have to argue about that instead of being happy and focussing on the Stanley Cup Finals?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah I am serious. Stars fans keep moaning about Avs fans believing they would have beaten the Stars if not for these god damn injuries which is a very reasonable take. But the injuries happened and you guys get to play in the Stanley Cup final so why do Stars fans have to argue about that instead of being happy and focussing on the Stanley Cup Finals?

Why can’t some Avs’ fans accept the results and not bring up “what if’s” in every thread about DALLAS, not Colorado?

Dallas went through the same thing last year against the Blues. Did we go into every thread about the Blues saying “actually Dallas was one missed penalty away from beating St. Louis”? No.

Move on. Injuries are a part of the game. We can play all sorts of what if’s and come up with any matter of possibilities, but none of that matters or means anything.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

lol wut...

we’re annoyed with salty Avs fans hijacking our threads crying about injuries when truth is both teams were injured. Just look at yourself for example, completely ignoring the facts the Stars had injuries as well and once again focusing on the Avs injuries. But keep thinking you guys would have run us out of town if you were healthy. I guess we can say the same, we would have ran you out of town if we were healthy as well.

get over it lol

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Why can’t some Avs’ fans accept the results and not bring up “what if’s” in every thread about DALLAS, not Colorado?

Dallas went through the same thing last year against the Blues. Did we go into every thread about the Blues saying “actually Dallas was one missed penalty away from beating St. Louis”? No.

Move on. Injuries are a part of the game. We can play all sorts of what if’s and come up with any matter of possibilities, but none of that matters or means anything.

I mean its not really a huge what if. Stars needed OT in game 7 and a hattrick from their 13th forward to win. So why are you surprised that Avs fans getting to watch the Stars play for a cup are in what-if mode and cursing the hockey gods?
Dallas did not have to play the Blues with their third string goalie and Dallas did not murder the Blues 5on5 so its not really comparable.
Nobody is saying that the Stars do not deserve to be where they are because injuries are part of the game but why do I have to read dumb comments about the Stars injury issues now (that are nowhere near as bad and only after an additional 5 games) and their great depth that was the reason they beat the Avs (no it was that they played with their third goalie and completely sucked at special teams in part due to their best 3 special team players missing game 7) or about the Avs fans having no reason to be upset or other crap?
You guys won. In the end thats all that matters. So why not let Avs fans have the belief that they would have won it if the hockey gods were not cruel SOBs?

@MB94:
Well thats just bullshit and exactly what I mean.
No the Stars were not even close to as injured as the Avs were. Thats just a garbage take.
Why not admit that injuries played a role and that luck was on your side?
Thats how you win cups afterall...

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Let's not pretend like Dallas was clearly the better team, series went to OT in game 7, series was decided on a bounce. Main difference in that series was goaltending.

Dallas doesn't scare me anyways in the future, they have an aging core that won't be a threat as soon as next year. Their fans sound like San Jose fans after beating us last year and look at where they are now. Colorado is built to compete for at least the next 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad