Does Dallas' Run Feel Strange?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Circular logic has nothing to do with math :P So if I said - Calgary gave Dallas a hard time, that means Calgary would give anyone that Dallas beat an equally hard time. - that is wrong.

Circular logic though is like when you have 3 teams that beat another and trying to weight who is better with it:

Colorado beats Dallas

Dallas beats Calgary

Calgary beats Colorado

You end up Colorado > Dallas > Calgary > Colorado > Dallas (hence circular)

I don't actually think I'm using it right in my first bit, now that I've given an example
Not going at you. Were you talking about a full season or if the seeds were a bit different heading into this postseason?

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Not going at you. Were you talking about a full season or if the seeds were a bit different heading into this postseason?
Bit confused by the question :P. My original question was just about Dallas potentially underperforming against the Flames being part of the weirdness of this run.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Bit confused by the question :P. My original question was just about Dallas potentially underperforming against the Flames being part of the weirdness of this run.

The Stars were slump-Stars until Pavelski woke the team up in game 4 against the Flames.

Since then, Dallas has been 12-4. PP% has been 32.7% (!!!).

We’re also getting outshot by an average of 6 shots per game over this stretch. That further confirms the style we’re playing so well right now.

Reactions: Elysian

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
As a defensive team we didn’t perform but found out a way to score to offset that with an IHC and backup goaltender.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
It feels like they mediocred their way into the playoffs. They got past the Knights cause the Knights lost all confidence in their scoring, I was thinking that during the round and Deboer seems to have confirmed it. In any case, I don't see Dallas putting up much of a fight against Tampa... they haven't looked like a Cup team.
***Clears throat*** So you were saying?

And for the record the Stars made the Knights take bad low percentage shots that inflated their shot totals. Is it really hard to give credit where credit is due?

Last edited:

Baywulf

Feb 23, 2017
They didn't start well against Flames but ended that series with style. Had great very viewer friendly series vs. Avs and gave no chance to Vegas in conference final. They have grown together as a team, improved their hockey during each of three very different series and are now ready for Tampa. Also Stars were already last year centimeters away from beating becoming champions in game seven. Now they have added Pavs and Perry. Many young guys are better than last year - Heiskanen especially. I have difficulties to see anything strange here.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DeathSniper

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Being a fan for the past few decades and given the prior letdowns of past years - hell yeah I'd say it feels kinda strange ;)

Especially when they're up 1-0 and only 3 wins away lol.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yes and no. They weren't very hyped during the season or even at the start of these playoffs, but when looking at their roster it makes sense. They're pretty deep, they're a very good team, even on paper. It's not like they're full of scrubs. And they finished 4th in their conference and were one of the teams that got a pass to the first round.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The whole season has been strange especially in the Stars case.

Dallas started the season off bad losing 8 of 9 games (1-8).
The owner blasted the veteran leadership of the team and the coaches jobs were in question.

Then from October 19th 2019 to November 25th 2019 the Stars went on a tear only losing once in regulation and once in overtime.

After all that on December 10th 2019 Jim Montgomery gets fired for unprofessional conduct and is replaced with interim head coach Rick Bowness.
Under Bowness Dallas played somewhat above avarage for most of the rest of the season until late February 2020 when Dallas lost the last 6 games of the regular season before the shutdown.

Dallas kinda got lucky when the shutdown happened, they weren’t looking so good and were searching for answers before sinking too deep into the western conference standing.

Time went by during the shutdown everyone got healthy except Bishop and under Bowness Dallas seems to be reinvigorated but the Stars didn’t look all that good during the playins losing 2 out of the 3 games in the round robin and salvaging the 3rd seed from St. Louis.

Dallas has played good hockey in the playoffs beating Calgary in 6 games, then beating Colorado in 7 games might have been different if Colorado’s backup and 3rd string goalies played better but Khudobin was the better goalie in that series.

In the west finals Dallas handles Vegas kinda easily in 5 games playing excellent defensive hockey behind great defense and goaltending from Khudobin and here they are now just 3 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup against one of the teams that were favored to win the Cup.

It’s still going to be a tough series as I’m sure Tampa will bring more effort in the coming games but Dallas has a decent motivating old school coach which isn’t particularly all that good of a head coach but was a good assistant for many years and has seen and been in different situations which is helpful during this run Dallas is having.

So yeah it has been a really strange season/playoffs for Dallas, I don’t really remember a stranger season since I’ve watched hockey in the late 80’s.

Reactions: cizko and Gravity

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I was initially very upset with the Flames for looking chocked out by Dallas. However, with the exception of that last game, my stance on the Flames play has softened. I realize now that Dallas has just gamed the playoffs this year. They have a perfect defensive system, that prevents players from getting in close to high scoring opportunities. Players like Gaudreau are going to be especially choked out by this.

It's not the most exciting brand of hockey, but you have to give credit to the Stars for their discipline and finding a system, within the current rules, that allows them to choke out offensive play coming at them.

They collapse around the goalie. They give up long distance shooting lanes that their goalie can easily see. If anything, this reminds me of New Jersey winning the cup, when they first introduced the neutral zone trap. Other teams just didn't have an answer for it, and New Jersey won. Very similar to what's going on with Dallas' opponents this year.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
which run?

wait...playoffs are still on going.

how I feel about these playoffs

I find that very symptomatic of big market team's fans. I feel like they are not hockey fans but fans or their team. Once eliminated, they stop to care. Remind me of the last time Montreal host de World Juniors. They had problem selling tickets because people didn't care... those were not Habs games.

Amazing hockey is played right now. If you love hockey, you should love the finals.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I find that very symptomatic of big market team's fans. I feel like they are not hockey fans but fans or their team. Once eliminated, they stop to care. Remind me of the last time Montreal host de World Juniors. They had problem selling tickets because people didn't care... those were not Habs games.

Amazing hockey is played right now. If you love hockey, you should love the finals.

I agree. We have a lot of Montreal Canadiens fan who don't watch more hockey outside of our team.

They don't know other players and will approve every move made by our GM. They are just big Habs fan.

I watched more games when I was a single teenager/young adult. Now I don't have much time and interest to watch other games.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
I agree. We have a lot of Montreal Canadiens fan who don't watch more hockey outside of our team.

They don't know other players and will approve every move made by our GM. They are just big Habs fan.

I watched more games when I was a single teenager/young adult. Now I don't have much time and interest to watch other games.
Having a newborn myselft, I can understand your position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad