Does Dallas' Run Feel Strange?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The whole Gurianov thing is just bizarre to me. Like this 20G guy suddenly became a goal every second game, ie. ~40G pace sort of player over the pause? It's kinda wonky.

The Stars doing well in general, doesn't seem weird. They've got 3 absolute studs on the blueline, a great top line with a lot of balance, and some pretty decent depth players, with a strong coach.

But it definitely has a peculiar feel to it in the way the scoring has come.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
The whole Gurianov thing is just bizarre to me. Like this 20G guy suddenly became a goal every second game, ie. ~40G pace sort of player over the pause? It's kinda wonky.

The Stars doing well in general, doesn't seem weird. They've got 3 absolute studs on the blueline, a great top line with a lot of balance, and some pretty decent depth players, with a strong coach.

But it definitely has a peculiar feel to it in the way the scoring has come.

Gurianov had a hat trick in one game so that skews his goals per game a bit. He was on pace for 25 this season with very limited ice time and playing for a team that had not figured it out offensively yet. The kind of offensive support he is getting from Klingberg and Heiskanen just wasn't there as the system didn't allow for it.

Its also important to think of this postseason as the start of season 2 for these young players. Gurianov played 60+ games and then had months off. There are a lot of guys that are considered "rookies" but really aren't anymore. A 25 goal scorer developing into a 35 goal guy in his year two isn't exactly unheard of.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Gurianov had a hat trick in one game so that skews his goals per game a bit. He was on pace for 25 this season with very limited ice time and playing for a team that had not figured it out offensively yet. The kind of offensive support he is getting from Klingberg and Heiskanen just wasn't there as the system didn't allow for it.

Its also important to think of this postseason as the start of season 2 for these young players. Gurianov played 60+ games and then had months off. There are a lot of guys that are considered "rookies" but really aren't anymore. A 25 goal scorer developing into a 35 goal guy in his year two isn't exactly unheard of.
Yeah just looked up the stats, Guri had 20 goals with only 12:59 ATOI, lowest TOI for anyone who scored 20 or more goals.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Not at all strange. After my favorites were out I started to watch a lot of Dallas and they have earned it all the way to SCF.

They have absolutely great top four defence that is likely the best in the league right now:
two elite d-men in Miro and Klingberg, a defensive stud in Lindell and big rig who has stepped up his game and can complement Miro just fine as we have seen.

They are four lines deep so they don't need to run their top lines to the ground during the play offs and this has shown in their ability to come back from behind in games when needed.

Their youth carried them through the first series but lately their top line guys (mainly Radulov and Benn) have really stepped it up and led the troops. And the other veterans have taken their turns in contributing (Perry, Pavelski).

They have young and skilled second line (counting Kiviranta to part of it for now) that has provided a lot key goals in critical times.

And to say everything has fallen their way is simply wrong. They have been without their nr1 goalie (Bishop) and a top four level defender (Johns) basically the whole play offs and their number 1 center has been several times been reported to have an injured hand making him almost useless in the scoring department. And currently their top checking center (Faksa) is out injured. So they have also faced a lot of adversity like the teams they have played against . But Dallas depth has stepped up when needed. Having enough quality depth is a key element in a Stanley cup contender as injuries are likely to happen sooner or later.

And they have earned it in different way in each series: first wearing down Galgary, outscoring the high scoring Avs and keeping smartly Vegas on the outside and letting them control the (low percentage) shots on goal ..while Dallas was actually out-chancing them. And Stars were not intimidated against very physical Vegas team as they can play big boy hockey too.

I have simply enjoyed watching their run.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Yes, a little bit.

No f***ing way I ever thought I would someday root for Dallas, and no way I would've ever even imagined that I would draw Piece-of-tongue-on-cheek-fan-art for some nobody neverheard like Joel F. Kiviranta, even less publishing a totally failed first attempt here in HFBoards.

Here:

x5Rlaoi.png

Errata:
- Face of the character doesn't resemble even remotely anything so cool and handsome than Joel F. Kiviranta
- No adequate pens for drawing
- When somewhat functioning instrument, insufficient ink (with every pen other than brown)
- Horrible, available set of colors, unfathomably horrible
- Absolutely ridiculous "font" in texts
- Subpar cliched idea with horribad technique. Failed attempt to blend two googled images together
- Old, dirty lensed low pixel cell phone camera used for photography
- in a perfect and awesome illumination of 40W desktop lamp...

...but, I don't care as I know that Joel f***ing Kiviranta doesn't care and I am his Fanboi! :sarcasm:

JOEL! KICK SOME ARSES AND BRING THE BOY HOME!

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I'm not really sure how to describe it and I certainly haven't watched the Stars a ton in the playoffs. It kind of seems/feels odd that a team that is getting nothing in the way of scoring from its top centre is a game away from reaching the SCF.

Their metrics like SAT% close and USAT% close for the playoffs aren't bad but are nothing to write home about. When I do watch them, a lot of the time it feels like the game can easily go in the other team's favor.

Not to take anything away from the Stars. They deserve credit for having gotten this far. But if they win it all, it'll certainly feel like an unusual and rather unconvincing Cup win to me... though maybe that won't be the case if they dominate the SCF.
Tampa Bay's top centre's been out for the playoffs. Good team's find their way without key players.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They were a goal away from the WCF last season. They're actually a very deep team.

I think everyone including me was caught up in Colorado making all the sexy moves like adding Kadri/Donskoi and I still think if healthy, it's the Avs-Lightning however look...Dallas added Perry and Pavelski. That's no joke.

I think what surprised everyone is a Bowness team going this far. That dude was coaching Ottawa when I was 11 years old and I'm in my late-30s now. He hasn't had much success as a head coach but we've seen it many times in the NHL with Julien, Trotz (second round cap), and even to a lesser extent Sullivan who is younger. Every once in a blue moon these older coaches who haven't had much success take a team on a deep run or win it all later in their coaching career.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
They’ve been flying under the radar and had underperforming players, but they’ve come together at the best time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It feels like they mediocred their way into the playoffs. They got past the Knights cause the Knights lost all confidence in their scoring, I was thinking that during the round and Deboer seems to have confirmed it. In any case, I don't see Dallas putting up much of a fight against Tampa... they haven't looked like a Cup team.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It feels like they mediocred their way into the playoffs. They got past the Knights cause the Knights lost all confidence in their scoring, I was thinking that during the round and Deboer seems to have confirmed it. In any case, I don't see Dallas putting up much of a fight against Tampa... they haven't looked like a Cup team.

Just like Kings did when they won their cup.

Disagree..i think Islanders would of beaten Dallas quite easily
i don't see Tampa able to match Dallas d trio, nor their style of play
and the fact that Dallas have far better finishers what Isles had.

Tampa can't engage another 1 goal game win tactic against Dallas,
if they do try, they'll get swept 4-zip.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Dallas is a tough opponent and deserves it and so is Tampa. Surprised Tampa is favored so much as I see this one being a tight back and forth series.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just like Kings did when they won their cup.

Disagree..i think Islanders would of beaten Dallas quite easily
i don't see Tampa able to match Dallas d trio, nor their style of play
and the fact that Dallas have far better finishers what Isles had.

Tampa can't engage another 1 goal game win tactic against Dallas,
if they do try, they'll get swept 4-zip.

It does feel a lot like the Kings run because every round has an opponent excuse.

Their scoring going up is a similar phenomenon as well--much like the Kings did they're primarily a defensive team that has the horses to adapt if need be.

Kopitar was 25-51-76 in the reg season, 8-12-20 in the playoffs for a 33 goal, 82 point pace.
Benn had a 19-20-39 reg season, a 46 pt pace, and he's 8-10-18 in the playoffs, a 31 goal, 70pt pace

Doughty was 10-26-36 in the season, 4-12-16 in the playoffs for a 16 goal, 66pt pace.
Heiskanen was 8-27-35 in the season, 5-17-22 in the plyaoffs for a 20 goal, 86pt pace.

and then you have Dustin Brown~Guriyanov, the goalies, etc. a lot of dudes whose games have elevated heavily and you don't have to worry about it drying up because it's coming from everywhere and starts with the defensive end.

People rely too much on the regular season for projections. A team in June--much less a team in September!--is a much different squad than a team in March.

Some of the matchups are going to be really interesting. I think Miro can skate with the best of TB, but Hedman isn't like anything VGK could throw out there. the TB PP vs. the Dallas PK and goaltending. etc. Feels like a series that will have a lot of swings where each team takes turns looking unbeatable.

Reactions: byrath

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It does feel a lot like the Kings run because every round has an opponent excuse.

Their scoring going up is a similar phenomenon as well--much like the Kings did they're primarily a defensive team that has the horses to adapt if need be.

Kopitar was 25-51-76 in the reg season, 8-12-20 in the playoffs for a 33 goal, 82 point pace.
Benn had a 19-20-39 reg season, a 46 pt pace, and he's 8-10-18 in the playoffs, a 31 goal, 70pt pace

Doughty was 10-26-36 in the season, 4-12-16 in the playoffs for a 16 goal, 66pt pace.
Heiskanen was 8-27-35 in the season, 5-17-22 in the plyaoffs for a 20 goal, 86pt pace.

and then you have Dustin Brown~Guriyanov, the goalies, etc. a lot of dudes whose games have elevated heavily and you don't have to worry about it drying up because it's coming from everywhere and starts with the defensive end.

People rely too much on the regular season for projections. A team in June--much less a team in September!--is a much different squad than a team in March.

Some of the matchups are going to be really interesting. I think Miro can skate with the best of TB, but Hedman isn't like anything VGK could throw out there. the TB PP vs. the Dallas PK and goaltending. etc. Feels like a series that will have a lot of swings where each team takes turns looking unbeatable.

Indeed

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I like Dallas to win the series. They’ll forecheck the heck out of the Lightning. Plus, Dallas has been getting depth scoring which makes them even tougher. And they’ve done all this without Seguin putting up numbers —— impressive.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It definitely feels like a bit of a Cinderella run. But good for them for making the most of it. I'm expecting Tampa to take the Cup though, as the cream usually rises to the top in the end.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Was Calgary the pre-morning coffee series? Seems like the series was far too close given Dallas' subsequent success and my perception of the Flames

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Was Calgary the pre-morning coffee series? Seems like the series was far too close given Dallas' subsequent success and my perception of the Flames

Dallas took a while to find their game in that series. Then Pavelski put em on his back for a game and everything turned around after that

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Dallas took a while to find their game in that series. Then Pavelski put em on his back for a game and everything turned around after that
Ah thanks!
If you use circular logic (which is wrong but fun to use), you might think that Calgary could have followed up with similar results.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Ah thanks!
If you use circular logic (which is wrong but fun to use), you might think that Calgary could have followed up with similar results.
Calgary probably wouldn’t have, who knows though. Don’t know what you mean by circular logic.

It’s a sport and not mathematics.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Pavelski? Khudobin has been the "Star" of this team hands down.

Pavelski had a hat trick in game 4 against Calgary and carried us through that game only. He’s been good outside of that too.

I think OP meant only that game for Pavs.

Reactions: Kegsey

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Calgary probably wouldn’t have, who knows though. Don’t know what you mean by circular logic.

It’s a sport and not mathematics.

Circular logic has nothing to do with math :P So if I said - Calgary gave Dallas a hard time, that means Calgary would give anyone that Dallas beat an equally hard time. - that is wrong.

Circular logic though is like when you have 3 teams that beat another and trying to weight who is better with it:

Colorado beats Dallas

Dallas beats Calgary

Calgary beats Colorado

You end up Colorado > Dallas > Calgary > Colorado > Dallas (hence circular)

I don't actually think I'm using it right in my first bit, now that I've given an example

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Pavelski had a hat trick in game 4 against Calgary and carried us through that game only. He’s been good outside of that too.

I think OP meant only that game for Pavs.
He was responding to me asking about the Calgary series and saying that Pavelski was the wake-up call for the team

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad