Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
He's picking it up no end. Looks an entirely different player these past 3 games.

Great to hear for him (not so much for me since I'm a Devils fan :laugh:). I love the Olympics because I get to cheer for the guys without any loyalties involved. So it would be nice to have Giroux there.

But as of now I don't see how Giroux is a lock for that team. A couple of strong months, sure, but that team has far too deep of a talent pool and has left far too much talent off the team in years past (St. Louis) to consider Giroux a lock.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a Flyers fan, I will say this. He only makes it if his play improves. Simple as that. If he gets 10 points in his next 20 games, he doesn't make it. If he gets 20 points in his next 20 games, then he probably does. Seems pretty simple to me.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
With the way Seguin, Benn and others have been playing, I say no, unless his play drastically changes.

Kunitz(or Kane)--Crosby--Seguin
Benn--Duchene--Carter
Tavares--Getzlaf--Perry
????--Toews--Sharp
Bergeron

players in contention for that last ???? wing spot, or maybe even instead of Carter, would be: J. Neal, M. Richards, Couture, E. Staal, Giroux, Marleau, Hall and O'Reilly.

...and of course, Stamkos bumps Carter out, plays next to Crosby, and re-unites Benn with Seguin, if he's healthy by that time.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Nash-Crosby-Staal
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
Couture-Toews-Sharp
Duchene-Richards??-Ladd

No way Canada is bringing in too much youth. Nor they should. Remember Vancouver everyone complaining at the beginning of the tourney how Pronger and the vets played badly? Yeah, Pronger and those vets carried the team during crunch time while others just folded.

Bergeron was an absolute train wreck last Olympics. It would be a disaster if they bring him again. They already have guys who can win faceoffs. Bergeron was just terrible.

And bringing in guys because they play with each other on an NHL club is another terrible idea. Seabrook looked lost all tourney last time. Just a game above his capacity.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
With the way Seguin, Benn and others have been playing, I say no, unless his play drastically changes.

Benn--Duchene--Carter
Tavares--Getzlaf--Perry
????--Toews--Sharp
Bergeron

players in contention for that last ???? wing spot, or maybe even instead of Carter, would be: J. Neal, M. Richards, Couture, E. Staal, Giroux, Marleau, Hall and O'Reilly.

...and of course, Stamkos bumps Carter out, plays next to Crosby, and re-unites Benn with Seguin, if he's healthy by that time.

Kunitz, Kane, Benn, and Sharp, but Bergeron is an extra?

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
Screw the Olympics.

I hope G doesn't make it, gets some good rest and workouts, and plays the stretch with a chip on his shoulder. Claude Giroux is the property of the Philadelphia Flyers, not Team Canada.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
You're a product of your team's system, and Phi isn't playing good right now, hence Giroux won't either. I wouldn't count him out just because he's not producing. I doubt anybody on that team is doing good.

um what? they've won 3 in a row.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Benn--Duchene--Carter
Tavares--Getzlaf--Perry
????--Toews--Sharp
Bergeron

Sharp and Kunitz over Couture, Staal, Giroux and Bergeron!?! wow. thank god you're not the GM of team canada.

Timmy Brent*

Benn--Duchene--Carter
Tavares--Getzlaf--Perry
????--Toews--Sharp
Bergeron

extremely questionable lineup consider who you left out

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
List of young players not on the roster last time I have ahead of Giroux now excluding the locks:

Duchene, Couture, Benn, Seguin, possibly O'Reilly and Lucic. I'm sure many have Hall as well but I think his game needs to mature even though he has game breaking talent.

Anyways, I really want Giroux on Canada since he's one of the best players in the world on form but I'm really wondering if that season with Jagr was just an anomoly. His season before and after that was good but not that much better than some of the guys mentioned above and combined with this season, he doesn't make it. You have to consider the form the player is in.

The guys above are in pretty good form. You know that Duchene/Benn/Seguin can play the wing. Duchene and Couture can kill penalties when needed and are great all-round players right now. O'Reilly and Lucic both are playing well and have their specialties (O'Reilly's one of the best 2-way players who can play on the wing and Lucic is a physical goal scorer, Evander Kane is as well).

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
List of young players not on the roster last time I have ahead of Giroux now excluding the locks:

Duchene, Couture, Benn, Seguin, possibly O'Reilly and Lucic. I'm sure many have Hall as well but I think his game needs to mature even though he has game breaking talent.

Anyways, I really want Giroux on Canada since he's one of the best players in the world on form but I'm really wondering if that season with Jagr was just an anomoly. His season before and after that was good but not that much better than some of the guys mentioned above and combined with this season, he doesn't make it. You have to consider the form the player is in.

The guys above are in pretty good form. You know that Duchene/Benn/Seguin can play the wing. Duchene and Couture can kill penalties when needed and are great all-round players right now. O'Reilly and Lucic both are playing well and have their specialties (O'Reilly's one of the best 2-way players who can play on the wing and Lucic is a physical goal scorer, Evander Kane is as well).

While I agree Lucic is playing well I don't think he will make the team because the Olympic ice is not conducive to his style of play. I think they will focus on speed and skill rather than grit and skill.

darkbrew*

hey 90sKid, Tlusty had more goals than Getzlaf, Perry, Malkin, Datsyuk last year, i guess that means he's the better player right?

you do realize some players are more playmakers than goal scorers right?

you do realize Kessel scores more than Malkin but that doesn't make him a better player right?

As a penguins fan Kessel has been a better player this year not close. Malkin is hot garbage right now.

I think Giroux just misses, but only because of the insane center depth. Not really because of his slow start, he will be fine by then statistically.

90sKid*

Patrick Sharp after tonight's Game:

(7g,13a = 20pts, 21games) +10

(Second on the team in Points and +/- - higher than Toews in both respects).

This guy is looking better than Giroux atm for Team Canada, Giroux better step up -5 weeks about left til they know for sure.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Screw the Olympics.

I hope G doesn't make it, gets some good rest and workouts, and plays the stretch with a chip on his shoulder. Claude Giroux is the property of the Philadelphia Flyers, not Team Canada.

I wonder if he feels the same way.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Honestly, all he needs is a December where his level of play is on par with that of the previous 3 seasons.

Contrary to popular belief, in terms of raw ability, he is absolutely top 3 or 4 in Canada

90sKid*

Honestly, all he needs is a December where his level of play is on par with that of the previous 3 seasons.

Contrary to popular belief, in terms of raw ability, he is absolutely top 3 or 4 in Canada

Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Toews, St.Louis are all better than Giroux, Top 10 is a better fit. Plus Sharp is playing better than him atm.

jgoud*

I'm gonna bump this again. He has 13 points in his last 16 games and has a goal after 2 periods tonight. I think it would be a mistake to leave him off the team, he's looking more like the Giroux we're used to seeing and I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to PPG form in the next 2 weeks.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Screw the Olympics.

Screw that mentality. Olympic hockey is great, and the players love it. I hope he gets the chance to play for Canada, because it may be his last shot.

Evergreen

Benn--Duchene--Carter
Tavares--Getzlaf--Perry
????--Toews--Sharp
Bergeron

Giroux hasn't been playing well enough, but you have Kane as a possibility on line 1? Shows how little you've been paying attention recently. Kane has been playing like donkey **** for the past three weeks.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm gonna bump this again. He has 13 points in his last 16 games and has a goal after 2 periods tonight. I think it would be a mistake to leave him off the team, he's looking more like the Giroux we're used to seeing and I wouldn't be surprised if he returned to PPG form in the next 2 weeks.

As a Flyers fan, I would say he has looked better but he still doesn't look the same. Now part of it is that as soon as Hartnell touches the puck, the play goes dead. Add that to off season surgery and not playing much in the pre-season and you get a player who starts the year slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad