Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
about a 35 Goal average since 2007 and being a complete player on Big Ice > 1 goal in 20 games.

hey 90sKid, Tlusty had more goals than Getzlaf, Perry, Malkin, Datsyuk last year, i guess that means he's the better player right?

you do realize some players are more playmakers than goal scorers right?

you do realize Kessel scores more than Malkin but that doesn't make him a better player right?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I honestly cannot come up with a rational response because it's so outrageous that someone can legitimately believe Giroux is inferior to Sharp.

i'm in shock tbh. i don't think he's trolling, i think he really believes that. one of those fans that think stats are everything. when they're not.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
i'm in shock tbh. i don't think he's trolling, i think he really believes that. one of those fans that think stats are everything. when they're not.

The ironic thing is, Sharp's career high in points is LOWER than Giroux's lowest year in the past 3 seasons (if you use last seasons PPG pace).

90sKid*

It's funny how you 2 keep saying he's better without ever showing or explaining why :laugh: You know you have no legs to stand on and just play games lol

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, I'm hockey fan and my favourite player doesn't play anymore. Hockey is not even my favourite sport. But I do watch about 100% of the leagues teams every 2 weeks (1 game a day while studying for university then go out after usually) so I watch all the teams like I do for Baseball season.

We all have different opinions, but if you resort to just saying "he's better" and only focus on 2.5 months of play vs 6 years, than you know I'm right. Have a nice day :)

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It's funny how you 2 keep saying he's better without ever showing or explaining why :laugh: You know you have no legs to stand on and just play games lol

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, I'm hockey fan and my favourite player doesn't play anymore. I watch about 100% of the leagues teams every 2 weeks (1 game a day then studying for university then go out after usually) so I watch all the teams like I do for Baseball season. We all have different opinions, but if you resort to just saying "he's better" and only focus on 2.5 months of play vs 6 years, than you know I'm right. Have a nice day :)

To be perfectly honest, you're using Sharp's last 6 seasons and directly comparing them to Giroux's slow start this season as the main reason to rank him higher than Giroux. Yet you're completing ignoring the fact that Giroux has been a PPG player for the last 269 games, something Sharp has never once accomplished in one season. Yet Giroux has been doing it for the equivalent of 3+ seasons.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

umm.. you're mr.stat guy, did you know Giroux has more points than Sharp in each season the last 3 years?

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, I'm hockey fan and my favourite player doesn't play anymore. Hockey is not even my favourite sport. But I do watch about 100% of the leagues teams every 2 weeks (1 game a day while studying for university then go out after usually) so I watch all the teams like I do for Baseball season.

well that's pretty obvious.

We all have different opinions, but if you resort to just saying "he's better" and only focus on 2.5 months of play vs 6 years, than you know I'm right. Have a nice day :)

2.5 months? how's 3 years? you like stats, so i'll give ya some stats.

2012-13 Giroux 48 points / Sharp 20 points
2011-12 Giroux 93 points / Sharp 69 points
2010-11 Giroux 76 points / Sharp 71 points

so...

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Not too long ago people were arguing Giroux was a top 3 player and that he was better or on par with Stamkos. I found it funny then and even funnier now.

umm.. you're mr.stat guy, did you know Giroux has more points than Sharp in each season the last 3 years?

Come on. I love Sharp, but Giroux is a better player than him. Whether he'd be a better fit is another thing.

HolyShot*

You're a product of your team's system, and Phi isn't playing good right now, hence Giroux won't either. I wouldn't count him out just because he's not producing. I doubt anybody on that team is doing good.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Giroux will make it. There isn't even a question.

Why not? Put his bad start with the great starts others have had (Duchene, etc.) and it's not out of the question that he wouldn't make the team. Of course, with Stamkos injured that helps him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Why not? Put his bad start with the great starts others have had (Duchene, etc.) and it's not out of the question that he wouldn't make the team. Of course, with Stamkos injured that helps him.

He had a bad start. He's still a wizard with the puck and has turned his play around. I'd bet on him making it.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
How is this a question? :laugh: Even if he's slumping offensively, his skills will be very much appreciated defensively. He's going to make it...

90sKid*

This is embaressing. You seriously think that? That's mind blowing.

It's spelled "embarrassing" ;) I just think Sharp is better for Canada on Olympic ice than Giroux.

He had a bad start. He's still a wizard with the puck and has turned his play around. I'd bet on him making it.

Giroux is above average with the puck, guys like Datsyuk are wizards.

Giroux is 3rd in points and 8th in goals on his team. Brayden Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier are outplaying him at the moment. If Giroux was alot better, he would lead him the team, and if he doesn't really make an effort, he won't be on the team I think.

No one knows for sure what Yzerman is planning, in about 6 weeks we'll find out. Players are left out who are "locks" all the time, same with guys like Brenden Morrow who get on.

edit: Vincent Lecavalier has also played 4 less games than Giroux.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

He's turned his play around because of a couple of games? He's not a sure thing to make the team. Even before the season started, the only three forwards I thought were locks were Crosby, Stamkos and Toews.

How is this a question? :laugh: Even if he's slumping offensively, his skills will be very much appreciated defensively. He's going to make it...

Giroux isn't a good defensive forward.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Take out the most recent season because it doesn't fit your agenda? I don't care if he was injured. If he was so injured, he shouldn't have played. Fact of the matter is he scored 6 goals in 28 games. Its a 19 goal pace. Coupled with the fact that he's off to a slow start again this year (18 goal pace), I don't understand why he should be over Giroux, especially because Giroux's downfall is his slow start.

Regardless, you don't take Sharp over Giroux because he scores more goals. They play completely different games. And I myself am extremely confident Team Canada's goal scoring abilities without Sharp. Giroux's ability to dominate and take over games is what you look for when choosing Team Canada.

As for skating, now that you're admitting Sharp is equal to Giroux in skating, that merit that justified Sharp over Giroux is now eliminated.

The WC, you mean the one he put up a PPG? I hope Giroux has that kind of trouble in Sochi.

Hasn't Giroux's skating been questioned since he was drafted? I mean clearly he gets it done with the wheels he has but it's not like he's one of the better SKATERS in the game. Unless if by "skater" you mean "player"...

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Hasn't Giroux's skating been questioned since he was drafted? I mean clearly he gets it done with the wheels he has but it's not like he's one of the better SKATERS in the game. Unless if by "skater" you mean "player"...

Personally, I have never once questioned Giroux's skating ability, and I bet you can count on one hand how many Flyers fans have. This isn't to say he's an elite skater by any stretch. But it's hardly an attribute you can use against him when comparing him to Patrick Sharp.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It's spelled "embarrassing" ;) I just think Sharp is better for Canada on Olympic ice than Giroux.

Giroux is above average with the puck, guys like Datsyuk are wizards.

Giroux is 3rd in points and 8th in goals on his team. Brayden Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier are outplaying him at the moment. If Giroux was alot better, he would lead him the team, and if he doesn't really make an effort, he won't be on the team I think.

No one knows for sure what Yzerman is planning, in about 6 weeks we'll find out. Players are left out who are "locks" all the time, same with guys like Brenden Morrow who get on.

edit: Vincent Lecavalier has also played 4 less games than Giroux.

I'm a Flyers fan. Everything you told me, I already know.

Now I'm going to let you know that I still believe Giroux is a lock.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Giroux's talent says that he should make it. Unfortunately, unless he picks it up, I doubt he does. Wouldn't be the first time a big name was kept off due to a rough winter.

Even as a Devils fan I can say it would be a damn shame if he didn't make it.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
He's been pretty good at "drawing" penalties this year :laugh:

After Crosby's little flop, I figured you'd know when to keep schtum.

Giroux's talent says that he should make it. Unfortunately, unless he picks it up, I doubt he does. Wouldn't be the first time a big name was kept off due to a rough winter.

Even as a Devils fan I can say it would be a damn shame if he didn't make it.

He's picking it up no end. Looks an entirely different player these past 3 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad