Olympics: Does Claude Giroux still make Canadian Olympic team?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There are 35 Canadian centres with more than Giroux's 8 points. Unless he shows signs he is breaking out of his slump in the next few weeks, I don't see any reason he should be picked.

It is also important to remember that Giroux has spent considerable time out on the right wing at various points in his hockey career. He understands that role as well and comes with that flexibility.

sawtooth420

Jun 20, 2005
The hood'
People crack me up about Giroux "showing flashes" against Crosby and the Pens! OMG!! That's unbelievable! Woopedeedoo!

Mike Cammalieri had a great post season, ONCE, against us too and nobody is citing him for an example. OBVIOUSLY, Giroux is better than him but please for the love of God stop citing his one very good series against the Pens and the pathetic goaltending he faced in that series as if it's some amazing accomplishment. Crosby has shown way more flashes against teams around the NHL too. If Giroux gets some consistency in his game and really really picks it up, than yes he should be considered. Until then, please stop citing his one good playoff performance against the Pens as if it should be on his résumé. Sorry to lash out about it but it's a kind've a lame point to make.

Giroux is a fantastic player. Nobody should dispute that. But Canada has many fantastic players though who probably deserve a better shot now unless he significantly picks up his game.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People crack me up about Giroux "showing flashes" against Crosby and the Pens! OMG!! That's unbelievable! Woopedeedoo!

Mike Cammalieri had a great post season, ONCE, against us too and nobody is citing him for an example. OBVIOUSLY, Giroux is better than him but please for the love of God stop citing his one very good series against the Pens and the pathetic goaltending he faced in that series as if it's some amazing accomplishment. Crosby has shown way more flashes against teams around the NHL too. If Giroux gets some consistency in his game and really really picks it up, than yes he should be considered. Until then, please stop citing his one good playoff performance against the Pens as if it should be on his résumé. Sorry to lash out about it but it's a kind've a lame point to make.

Giroux is a fantastic player. Nobody should dispute that. But Canada has many fantastic players though who probably deserve a better shot now though unless he significantly picks up his game.

Yes Girox's slow start has put him in a spot to be passed over. But there are few players CAPABLE of putting up Giroux like numbers. If he does make it, it will be as a winger IMO.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Giroux is a fantastic player. Nobody should dispute that. But Canada has many fantastic players though who probably deserve a better shot now though unless he significantly picks up his game.

There is so much wrong with this post.

Cmon guys stop posting about one of the most dominating series performances in the past decade. Apparently dominating the two best players in the NHL is a "lame" excuse. Who knew?

AND, if the goaltending was so bad, how come Giroux had 6 more points than both Malkin and Crosby? (in 6 games might I add) If goaltending was the main reason why Giroux lit it up, why didnt Malkin and Crosby score just as much? Bryz was equally as bad.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City

Giroux is a fantastic player. Nobody should dispute that. But Canada has many fantastic players though who probably deserve a better shot now unless he significantly picks up his game.

To my knowledge(I ask people if there are any others but they never answer), Giroux has the 4th most points in the NHL since 2010. How is that not consistent? He has 55 points in 50 playoff games in his career. Is that good enough or does it not count because it includes his series against the Penguins?

90sKid*

Patrick Sharp would be better than Giroux for Team Canada, a more complete player, better skater, and a consistent 30 goal scorer

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Patrick Sharp would be better than Giroux for Team Canada, a more complete player, better skater, and a consistent 30 goal scorer

Sharp is a better skater than Giroux? Really? Im not saying Giroux is better, but there is no no way Sharp is better. The same? I wouldnt argue against it.

And I think you need to look up consistent in the dictionary. If Sharp continues at his current pace this year he will have scored 30 goals in 2 of the past 5 seasons.

90sKid*

Sharp is a better skater than Giroux? Really? Im not saying Giroux is better, but there is no no way Sharp is better. The same? I wouldnt argue against it.

And I think you need to look up consistent in the dictionary. If Sharp continues at his current pace this year he will have scored 30 goals in 2 of the past 5 seasons.

Patrick Sharp:

2007–08 - 80games = 36 Goals = (35 goals over 82 Games)
2008–09 - 61games = 26 Goals = (35 goals over 82 Games)
2009–10 - 82games = 25 Goals = (25 goals over 82 Games)
2010–11 - 74games = 34 Goals = (38 goals over 82 Games)
2011–12 - 74games = 33 Goals = (37 goals over 82 Games)

2012-13 = (Injured and Lockout season - only played 28 games*)

Looks like a 30 Goal scorer according to the math. 4 out of the last 5 full seasons with a 34 goals/per season average. And Sharp is definitely at least equal in skating, and is more complete. Giroux was pretty terrible last WC on Big Ice, had lots of trouble.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Patrick Sharp:

Looks like a 30 Goal scorer according to the math. 4 out of the last 5 full seasons with a 34 goals/per season average. And Sharp is definitely at least equal in skating, and is more complete. Giroux was pretty terrible last WC on Big Ice, had lots of trouble.

Take out the most recent season because it doesn't fit your agenda? I don't care if he was injured. If he was so injured, he shouldn't have played. Fact of the matter is he scored 6 goals in 28 games. Its a 19 goal pace. Coupled with the fact that he's off to a slow start again this year (18 goal pace), I don't understand why he should be over Giroux, especially because Giroux's downfall is his slow start.

Regardless, you don't take Sharp over Giroux because he scores more goals. They play completely different games. And I myself am extremely confident Team Canada's goal scoring abilities without Sharp. Giroux's ability to dominate and take over games is what you look for when choosing Team Canada.

As for skating, now that you're admitting Sharp is equal to Giroux in skating, that merit that justified Sharp over Giroux is now eliminated.

The WC, you mean the one he put up a PPG? I hope Giroux has that kind of trouble in Sochi.

90sKid*

Take out the most recent season because it doesn't fit your agenda? I don't care if he was injured. If he was so injured, he shouldn't have played. Fact of the matter is he scored 6 goals in 28 games. Its a 19 goal pace. Coupled with the fact that he's off to a slow start again this year (18 goal pace), I don't understand why he should be over Giroux, especially because Giroux's downfall is his slow start.

The WC, you mean the one he put up a PPG? I hope Giroux has that kind of trouble in Sochi.

Lol Wow you shouldn't get angry because I posted correct stats showing him to be a 30 goal scorer. I don't think Giroux has even had a 30-Goal season.

Sharp had a PPG too at the 2013 WC and wasn't playing on the line with Stamkos like Giroux. Giroux was struggling throughout the tournament (had problems adapting to the olympic ice size), you can read articles a few months ago talking about it.

And if you disregard 2007-2012 and believe only what matters is a shortened season and that you consider 28 games as a Full season, I can't take anything you say seriously ;)

Edit (For comparisons at the moment):
Sharp this season = (5g, 12a = 17pts/19 games)
Giroux this season = (1g,9a = 10pts/18 games)

Last edited by a moderator:

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Lol Wow you shouldn't get angry because I posted correct stats showing him to be a 30 goal scorer. I don't think Giroux has even had a 30-Goal season.

Sharp had a PPG too at the 2013 WC and wasn't playing on the line with Stamkos like Giroux. Giroux was struggling throughout the tournament (had problems adapting to the olympic ice size), you can read articles a few months ago talking about it.

And if you disregard 2007-2012 and believe only what matters is a shortened season and that you consider 28 games as a Full season, I can't take anything you say seriously ;)

No I absolutely acknowledge he has scored 30 goals in multiple years. What I am doing is putting a higher emphasis on his most recent years. To be quite honest, I'm more concerned with his production last year and this year compared to 2008 and 2009 when deciding if he should make Team Canada. Considering Giroux went essentially from being a lock to on the bubble due to his slow start this season, it's extremely hypocritical to not acknowledge that Sharp statistically had an extremely inferior year last season and is off to a slow start this season in terms of goal production, which apparently makes him an asset over Giroux.

Giroux hasn't had a 30 goal season, but as I mentioned in my previous post, comparing the two based on goal scoring is foolish. Giroux isn't a goal scorer, he's a playmaker. End of story.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
i think hockey canada knows better than the hf "what have you done for me lately" mentality. it would be an absolute mistake to leave giroux off the roster. kid has way too much talent to be left off and he would tear it up with canada's best wingers. suddenly giroux is a failure because he's not scoring goals at some torrid pace, as if his career was ever defined by his goal scoring.

90sKid*

No I absolutely acknowledge he has scored 30 goals in multiple years. What I am doing is putting a higher emphasis on his most recent years. To be quite honest, I'm more concerned with his production last year and this year compared to 2008 and 2009 when deciding if he should make Team Canada. Considering Giroux went essentially from being a lock to on the bubble due to his slow start this season, it's extremely hypocritical to not acknowledge that Sharp statistically had an extremely inferior year last season and is off to a slow start this season in terms of goal production, which apparently makes him an asset over Giroux.

Giroux hasn't had a 30 goal season, but as I mentioned in my previous post, comparing the two based on goal scoring is foolish. Giroux isn't a goal scorer, he's a playmaker. End of story.

Deflection arguments...

(1) Same - look at Sharps average. He is considered a very compete complete player by many in the game and has produced an average of about roughly 30 goals and 70 points since 2007 til present day (scored a goal tonight). You like Giroux and I prefer Sharp.

(2) Sharp scored at an average of about 35 goals form 2007-12 in Full Seasons and you think everyone should focus on his injured season of 28 games from last year? 6 year span vs 2.5 month span? lol

Let's again then look at this season where Giroux has 1 goal and only 10 points in about 1/4th of the season done and Sharp is at close to PPG. We should let team Canada decide - maybe they'll both make it! But if Giroux doesn't really step it up I don't see him making it, or maybe only as a reserve.

GoGoSharks

Nov 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA
There are too many good bubble players, especially at center for a player this cold.

Looks at the Sharks, probably neither go but you'd think Both Thornton and Couture would be preferred to Giroux at this point.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
There are too many good bubble players, especially at center for a player this cold.

Looks at the Sharks, probably neither go but you'd think Both Thornton and Couture would be preferred to Giroux at this point.

"insert your team player" should be there over Giroux because they had a better start

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Deflection arguments...

(1) Same - look at Sharps average. He is considered a very compete complete player by many in the game and has produced an average of about roughly 30 goals and 70 points since 2007 til present day (scored a goal tonight). You like Giroux and I prefer Sharp.

(2) Sharp scored at an average of about 35 goals form 2007-12 in Full Seasons and you think everyone should focus on his injured season of 28 games from last year? 6 year span vs 2.5 month span? lol

Let's again then look at this season where Giroux has 1 goal and only 10 points in about 1/4th of the season done and Sharp is at close to PPG. We should let team Canada decide - maybe they'll both make it! But if Giroux doesn't really step it up I don't see him making it, or maybe only as a reserve.

How are they deflection arguments when its a fact, if you include his pace of this season, he has two 30 goal seasons (on pace) in the past five?

And since you're so concerned with the past, previous to this season, Giroux has 267 points in his last 251 games. Has Sharp put up those numbers? His last 4 year span is better than Sharp's. And if you preferred Sharp over Giroux before this season, I don't know what to say.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Right now no. But, Giroux is a top 10 player in the NHL when is on his game. I do expect Claude to rebound, but team Canada is loaded at center. Giroux is very adept on the wing though. He played really well on Stamkos wing during the IIHF championships last year. Right now he is on the outside looking in, but that could change soon seeing that the Flyers appear to be getting back on track.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Patrick Sharp:

lol is this a joke? Sharp spends a lot of time playing with Toews and Kane, two of the best players in the world. which inflate his numbers quite a lot. and there's Hossa too. another elite winger. meanwhile Giroux has... Hartnell. try playing Giroux with Toews/Kane/Hossa and watch his numbers double. comparing the two is flatout stupid.

gotta love these guys on HFB that just look at numbers instead of actually watching guys play.

GoGoSharks

Nov 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA
"insert your team player" should be there over Giroux because they had a better start

In this case "insert your team player" was a Canadian Olympian last time and leads the league in assists but yeah. Also I don't think the Sharks send a forward and I said so, but certainly their bubble players rate higher than Giroux.

90sKid*

Sharp spends a lot of time playing with Toews and Kane, two of the best players in the world. which inflate his numbers quite a lot. and there's Hossa too. another elite winger. meanwhile Giroux has... Hartnell. try playing Giroux with Toews/Kane/Hossa and watch his numbers double. comparing the two is flatout stupid.

lol :laugh: I can tell you like Giroux, too bad he's not a better player than Sharp,

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
lol :laugh: I can tell you like Giroux, too bad he's not a better player than Sharp,

LOL. wow. :help:

and why did you highlight "two of the best players in the world" when i referred to Kane and Toews? do you not think they are two of the best?

wow. so here we have 90sKid everyone, not only does he think that Sharp is better than Giroux, but he also thinks Toews and Kane aren't two of the best players in the world. does this guy even watch hockey? :laugh:

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
LOL. wow. :help:

and why did you highlight "two of the best players in the world" when i referred to Kane and Toews? do you not think they are two of the best?

wow. so here we have 90sKid everyone, not only does he think that Sharp is better than Giroux, but he also thinks Toews and Kane aren't two of the best players in the world. does this guy even watch hockey? :laugh:

I honestly cannot come up with a rational response because it's so outrageous that someone can legitimately believe Giroux is inferior to Sharp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad