Does Buffalo Make The Playoffs ?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Kulikov addition is huge, IMO. The left side of that defense was almost comical last year. It was a roster hole that was big enough to sink the titanic. While Kulikov doesn't make it a strength, it makes them soooooo much more respectable. And if McCabe can build on his rookie season, it might not be half bad.

I still have questions about the forwards and team speed. I just don't think it's a very fast roster. The goalie questions are meaningless to me. They are like halfbacks in the NFL, you can generally plug them in and they are all relatively equal.

Good post. Especially agree about the goaltending part. Buffalo has plugged in guys like Enroth and Johnson (during the years we were positively horrific) and they've been fine, or in some cases excellent.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I agree. People make a big deal out of Lehner and consider him a bad goalie. Really the dude has had an unfortunate string of injuries, but has otherwise been solid in the starts he's had. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ended up being an above average starter when the season is all said and done.

Agreed.

There weren't many games where Lehner started and I thought "he lost the game for us". Maybe he could have stolen a few more, but that's what an elite goalie does, and he's definitely not that right now. He is pretty damn solid when he's not injured.

I'm excited to see what he can do minus 50 lbs or whatever he lost this offseason. I really think that's gonna go a long way this year.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I have t trashed him at all I have called him whst he is which is a backup goalie, I have said I would take him as Andersen's backup of course now we have Enroth but that's a 1 year deal chances are we will be looking for a backup again next off season

Okay, great. So what is your argument that Lehner is a backup at best? The sentence structure goes, "I think Lehner is an NHL backup, and not an NHL starter, BECAUSE...."

We can probably all agree that, "he might get injured!" is a fair concern. However, anyone could get injured at any time. So, outside of that, is there something about Lehner you'd like to dissect and expose as the reason why he will be bad?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
After watching their prospects get smoked and Eichel playing like hot garbage, they're probably in line to draft 6-9. Not bad enough to tank but not good enough to contend for the last playoff spot. Destined to be the new Oilers.

omg this post goat, also, bro, some people don't even have hot garbage, they only have cold garbage, or no garbage at all, so you are being EXTREMELY micro-aggressive and you should not be like that; instead reconsider your life; what then?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
A legitimate # 1 goalie

Yet you love Andersen who at the same age had about 30 NHL games while Lehner has 107. You have already been thoroughly debated and debunked in this thread, you're clearly just biased. Lehner is more than good enough and is in terrific shape. Yawn.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yet you love Andersen who at the same age had about 30 NHL games while Lehner has 107. You have already been thoroughly debated and debunked in this thread, you're clearly just biased. Lehner is more than good enough and is in terrific shape. Yawn.

Like I have said I have no bias I simply have confidence in a guy who has been a starter on a playoff team

The other guy has yet to play half an NHL season

You can say I have been debunked but the only way that can actually happen is with him proving he can be a consistent #1

And so far we have 21 games as a starter to go on and 21 games proves nothing

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Like I have said I have no bias I simply have confidence in a guy who has been a starter on a playoff team

The other guy has yet to play half an NHL season

You can say I have been debunked but the only way that can actually happen is with him proving he can be a consistent #1

And so far we have 21 games as a starter to go on and 21 games proves nothing

I'm reposting this table of regular season goalie stats.

Player|Games Played|Starts|Shots against|Goals against|GAA|Saves|Sv%|Shutouts
Andersen|125|114|3,305|271|2.33|3,034|0.918|6
Lehner|107|97|3,310|278|2.8|3,032|0.916|3

Andersen and Lehner have essentially proven themselves exactly as much as the other. They're almost identical players, even down to height, weight, and age.

The only difference between the two is that Andersen had the good fortune to play behind a much better team and defense than Lehner has, which is why Andersen has gotten postseason starts and a better GAA (which is more of a team defense stat than a goalie stat anyway).

But overall neither is significantly more proven or unproven than the other, and there's no reason to assume at this point that one will be much better than the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad