Does Buffalo Make The Playoffs ?

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Ristolainen is a really good PP guy at this point, but he's definitely not able to handle those big top pairing minutes. He's very likely to become one in the future, but he certainly has holes in his game right now.

And someone like Rielly doesn't? Of course he has holes in his game-- he's like 22yo. But that didn't stop him from bullying Ovechkin every time he was on the ice last season :laugh:

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
They're on the bubble. I can see them being a wild card team, but I wouldn't put much money on it. Their goaltending is still highly questionable.

As far as the Okposo signing, mentioned above, how is that a bad deal? He's in his prime and can be looked to score 50 points and create space.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ristolainen is a really good PP guy at this point, but he's definitely not able to handle those big top pairing minutes. He's very likely to become one in the future, but he certainly has holes in his game right now.

Tell that to team Finland, he has been arguably their best player in exactly that role.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Signing Okposo was terrible, Ristolainen is not a top pairing defenseman and Kane is useless

God, this thread is too funny :D

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Signing Okposo was terrible, Ristolainen is not a top pairing defenseman and Kane is useless

God, this thread is too funny :D

Meh. Risto plays one...but I don't consider him top pairing yet.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
The Sabres had a significant stretch of games (somewhere between eight and 10) in late-December/early-January in which they either led or were tied during the third period but failed to come away with a single point. They weren't a good team, but a young team that was closer/more competitive than people realize.

I'm not calling them a lock by any means, but with a pro year under Eichel and Reinhart's belts and another year of development under Risto's, plus the additions of Okposo and Kulikov, they could push for a spot. It's not a "definitely not" ordeal.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Ristolainen is definitely a gem and an elite defender in the making . I think in 2-3 years time he will be regarded as top 10 defenseman. If Lehner is healthy i think they make the playoffs and i am excited to see how their lineup performa . They seem deep on every line . And if some of their top tier prospects start to crack the lineup they will add more speed , skill and excitement .

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
They probably get in on a wildcard spot. The East is quite weak this year.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The Kulikov addition is huge, IMO. The left side of that defense was almost comical last year. It was a roster hole that was big enough to sink the titanic. While Kulikov doesn't make it a strength, it makes them soooooo much more respectable. And if McCabe can build on his rookie season, it might not be half bad.

I still have questions about the forwards and team speed. I just don't think it's a very fast roster. The goalie questions are meaningless to me. They are like halfbacks in the NFL, you can generally plug them in and they are all relatively equal.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
they need to get strong D play and goaltending all year, they have the offense to make it

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
After Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa and Florida, the East is a crap shoot. So sure, Buffalo could sneak in.

Oh, and I'd be comfortable betting big $ on Toronto missing this year.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
The Kulikov addition is huge, IMO. The left side of that defense was almost comical last year. It was a roster hole that was big enough to sink the titanic. While Kulikov doesn't make it a strength, it makes them soooooo much more respectable. And if McCabe can build on his rookie season, it might not be half bad.

I still have questions about the forwards and team speed. I just don't think it's a very fast roster. The goalie questions are meaningless to me. They are like halfbacks in the NFL, you can generally plug them in and they are all relatively equal.

I agree. People make a big deal out of Lehner and consider him a bad goalie. Really the dude has had an unfortunate string of injuries, but has otherwise been solid in the starts he's had. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ended up being an above average starter when the season is all said and done.

Whether or not Buffalo makes the playoffs will depend on how the offense does with a year of experience and the addition of Okposo, and how our defense will fare. Hopefully Kulikov really makes a difference back there.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I'd like to hear why Buffalo can't make the playoffs in 2017. Why can't they? What do they lack that Boston, for example, has?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad