Does Buffalo Make The Playoffs ?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Way too close to call, they're definitely gonna be in the hunt for those wild card spots. If i absolutely had to pick whether they make it or not, i would bet on them making it over Detroit this year.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I really feel lot lies on Lehners shoulders and idk why but he seems very talented to me and i feel as though this is the year he might prove his worth. If he stays healthy i think his performance will be a surprise for everyone

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think they'll be close. That division is pretty weak IMO. Tampa and Florida should be playoff teams. Montreal too if Price stays healthy. But they could easily challenge Ottawa, Detroit, and Boston and be 4th. Or even 3rd. They'll battle for 3rd or a WC spot.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm of the opinion Buffalo has rushed the rebuild and made some terrible mistakes. Okposo will not live up to the contract.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I'm of the opinion Buffalo has rushed the rebuild and made some terrible mistakes. Okposo will not live up to the contract.

Rushed the rebuild by adding proven NHL talent instead of taking the Edmonton route? I would love to hear what was rushed

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Rushed the rebuild by adding proven NHL talent instead of taking the Edmonton route? I would love to hear what was rushed

That Kane/Bogosian trade was terrible. As was the Okposo signing. Yes, there's been mistakes.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This thread is littered with Lehner's name. I don't get it. If anything its our d-corp that is the most questionable.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
That Kane/Bogosian trade was terrible. As was the Okposo signing. Yes, there's been mistakes.

The only thing of value lost was Myers who was stale here. Kane is a great player ignoring the off ice stuff and Bogosian is a top 4 guy with another gear that he gets to sometimes. You think the Okposo signing was terrible, but that's just an opinion. The team couldn't score for **** last year so it's a mistake to add the highest scoring UFA available without giving up an asset? Ok.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The only thing of value lost was Myers who was stale here. Kane is a great player ignoring the off ice stuff and Bogosian is a top 4 guy with another gear that he gets to sometimes. You think the Okposo signing was terrible, but that's just an opinion. The team couldn't score for **** last year so it's a mistake to add the highest scoring UFA available without giving up an asset? Ok.

No he's not. He had a 30 goal season 5 years ago and has done squat since.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
No he's not. He had a 30 goal season 5 years ago and has done squat since.

Clearly showing you don't watch the games. Didn't realize you had to score 30 goals to be a useful player. Kane is insanely high effort and an elite forechecker, but it's ok, how would you know that if you don't watch him?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Clearly showing you don't watch the games. Didn't realize you had to score 30 goals to be a useful player. Kane is insanely high effort and an elite forechecker, but it's ok, how would you know that if you don't watch him?

Oh let me guess, he brings "Intangibles" no one knows about. Give me a break. People bring those things up when players fail to produce. He's paid to produce.
It's not like he's bringing amazing leadership abilities to the table. The Sabres desperately would love to dump him.
What has he accomplished since his 30 goal seasons? He's missed the playoffs, gotten injured a lot and been a huge distraction.
But intangibles I say!

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Oh let me guess, he brings "Intangibles" no one knows about. Give me a break. People bring those things up when players fail to produce. He's paid to produce.
It's not like he's bringing amazing leadership abilities to the table. The Sabres desperately would love to dump him.

He scored 20 last year and could have easily been close to 30 with some luck and health, while providing very consistent, physical play. Please tell me how Drew Stafford and Joel Armia are more effective players.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The team didn't properly leverage its lineup for basically the entire 15-16 season, so it's hard to base projections off last year. Plus there's no telling Disco actually learned anything from last year.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
If Lehner is healthy, then sure. If he isn't, I wouldn't say that they have no chance as some people seriously think that Edmonton has a chance lmfao

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York

The only thing that's "terrible" is this logic. Please tell me how adding a proven offensive weapon to a team that struggles to find offense is "terrible". :shakehead

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
After watching their prospects get smoked and Eichel playing like hot garbage, they're probably in line to draft 6-9. Not bad enough to tank but not good enough to contend for the last playoff spot. Destined to be the new Oilers.

Judging the tean based on their prospect tournament? Is this what we have come to? Really? I know that summer is quiet, but that is lower than whale poop.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY

The Kane/Bogosian trade is certainly up for debate; however, Myers name is frequently thrown around in the trade rumors section by everyone including Jets fans. He's pretty good-- but he's not THAT good. And he's also not as valuable as some would like to push. And Stafford is solid, sure. We don't know what Lemieux will contribute at this level yet, and Armia seems like a ridiculous set of tools but without a toolbox kind of player. There's also Roslovic, but again, unproven. Kane is an immature ********, but he's an absolute physical force on the ice, and Bogosian for sure has his ups and downs. You could tell me he can't stay healthy and you'd be right, but it's offset by Myers and his injuries. There are just a lot of different pieces within this trade that are either too soon to judge, or too "meh" to really point at and say OMG TERRIBLE.

But in reply to the bolded... are you ****ing kidding me? Not only is it anything but a terrible mistake, the Okposo signing was, in a way, a message to the other UFAs around the league that Buffalo could do some damage in the Eastern conference pretty soon, and he chose to go to a small market team with a pretty low-brow reputation rather than stay in the big apple, or even go to another more "desirable" destination because he's buying what the Sabres are selling. And without being seriously overpaid. Now, we will obviously have to see how he performs this year, but calling it a mistake before he's even played a regular season game in the blue and gold is just silly.

But to answer the OP's question, I'll say they either just miss, or they just make it in. I think they're right there, but will need some help from within the conference to have a chance. i.e.. teams like Boston or Detroit to decline more rapidly than most of us are expecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad