Does Buffalo Make The Playoffs ?

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Really like what Management has been doing in Buffalo and was wondering what everyone thinks are their chances to make the playoffs this year ?

They have great forwards upfront and an improved Defense. Some elite talent in Eichel, Reinhart , Kane, Ristolainen. And solid supporting cast upfront with O'Reilly , Okposo alongside Reinhart, Eichel . Ennis and Gionta in the bottom 6 is good for their young team. Defense has Bogosian, Kulikov , McCabe, Franson, Gorges and ofcourse Risto.

If Lehner stays healthy they might make the playoffs this year as he seems to have elite potential.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I think they have a shot. I think Eichel and Reinhart both take steps forward this year which will be big for us. We added a top line scoring winger in Okposo, which will help one of our biggest weaknesses in offense. We added a left side defenseman which was also a big need for us. The big factor here is Lehner. If he can play well (doesn't need to play out of his mind, though that would be nice) and makes the saves he needs to make consistently, then I think we're looking at a playoff spot in the spring.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Evander is an elite role player...ha

I'd switch ROR and Kane in how they're described.

As for the question....they have the talent...it's going to depend how far the kids have progressed and if they can put it all together.

50-50 shot

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Lehner will have to put up an excellent season for them to make playoffs, imo. And I doubt he will... yet that is. Their defense isn't anything special.

A lot of our defense is reliant on players making the next step (McCabe, Nelson, Risto to an extent) or finding consistency (Risto, Bogo).

Lots of question marks coming into the season, not only on defense.

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
It's possible. I'm sure that they'll be competitive. But Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa are still ahead of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they overtook Detroit and Boston.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Each week we should go over the non-playoff teams and ask will they make the playoffs. Statistics show some teams will make it, and those that asked the question will be rewarded for their faith.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If you go by general HF logic it is impossible. Only the teams who made it last year can make it this year.

In all seriousness I think they can make it. But I would like to see them add another top 4 D

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Some things about him are

He's elite at not giving a care in the world about being a good hockey player.

Radar listed as a support player, and Kane listed as elite is a hilarious start to the thread.

They won't make it with that D and Lehner in goal.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
There are a lot of "if's" involved, but playoffs aren't unrealistic IMO.

Like...
- If Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and McCabe take steps forward.
- If Kulikov proves to be a solid LHD partner for Risto.
- If Lehner proves he can stay healthy and play at a high level for a full season.
- If Ennis and/or Moulson can return to form.

I'd say these are the most important bullet points to us making the playoffs. If none of them happen, we're sunk. If all of them happen, we're in. More realistically, if some of them happen... we'll be on the fence. We need the young guns to keep getting better, we need to solidify our top D pairing and goaltending, and we really need our depth to be contributing and make every line a threat in some capacity.

EDIT: Lehner looked great between injuries last year, and it sounds like he's been a machine this offseason in regards to training so I'm expecting good things.

Last edited:

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I love Risto, but other than him that D group leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also not fully convinced Lehner can carry the load on his own. Like most teams who are considered 'non-playoff', a lot will have to go right for Buffalo for them to make the cut

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I love Risto, but other than him that D group leaves a lot to be desired.
I think some players on this team are just emotional headcases. :laugh: Guys like Bogosian play better when they're engaged and playing with purpose... which has been hard to do these last few seasons of bottoming out. I think as the talent upfront gets better and we aren't just going through the motions anymore, our depth will get better. I'm expecting some solid play this year out of middle pairing guys like Bogo and McCabe.

Kulikov is a much much much needed LHD addition with actual NHL talent. It'll give us the freedom to actually re-arrange players to their ideal spots in the lineup instead of giving guys like Franson and Gorges more time than they deserve/can handle, or playing kids (like Guhle) before they're ready.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love Risto, but other than him that D group leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also not fully convinced Lehner can carry the load on his own. Like most teams who are considered 'non-playoff', a lot will have to go right for Buffalo for them to make the cut

It's not great D-group league wise but in the Atlantic it's good,
Risto, Kuli, Bogo isn't the worst top3.
Few teams don't have #1D's and top3 groups are lacking.

Buffalos top6 looks also good so they should be figting for that last playoff spot with few teams.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
No he's not and you will find that out very quickly assuming he's healthy
His healthy spurts last year, he played lights out. Can't blame Sabres fans for being excited about seeing what he can do in a (hopefully) full season... especially since he's reportedly taking training very seriously this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad