Does Bergevin re-sign Emelin and Diaz for next year?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Emelin should be signed no doubt about it

Diaz all depends the rest of the year but if he has any value around the league i'd move him and acquire something for him. Beaulieu can take his spot next year

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Don't really care for Diaz.

12m 4years would be perfect for Emelin. But I think it'll be more toward 14m 4years. Either way good deal.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
It depends how Diaz does this year, but I think he could be replaced rather easily by Beaulieu next year. We need to resign Emelin though, he's a big part of the team.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Depending on how the season goes, Diaz could be a deadline trade candidate. Of course, it is not just how Diaz plays, but how the prospects behind him play and develop that determines if he should be axed or not.

Davebo*

Emelin should be signed for sure.

Diaz? Love the offensive upside potential - don't like the size/physicality issue. He might look good with a team needing offence from the backend...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Either sign or trade Diaz. Don't lose him for nothing. Puckmoving D have value in this league. Emelin, it goes without saying.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Both get re-signed for 2 years IMO. I could do without Diaz but he does have talent that if nutured correctly could be very beneficial in the future.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Can we just wait before we sign Emelin??? There is no rush to sign him and we don't know if his injury slowed him or not.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Emelin needs to be re-signed, assuming he plays like he has when he's back

Diaz I couldn't care less if he was let go right now, maybe I'll change my mind if he steps it up

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Emelin is resigned without question: I'd like/hope 5 years, 16.25 mill.

Diaz is traded before the deadline; Beaulieu/Nygren (I hope) can replace him.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
IMO I think it depends on how Beaulieu plays the rest of the year. If he does well, I think we move Diaz at the deadline. If not, we'll sign him to a short term contract. Emelin on the other hand as others have mentioned, is a no-brainer.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't see a scenario where we don't sign Emelin unless he wants to go back to Russia.

Diaz, eh, I don't see a future for him in Montreal with Beaulieu in the wings and other younger, cheaper and larger options in Hamilton.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
IMO I think it depends on how Beaulieu plays the rest of the year. If he does well, I think we move Diaz at the deadline. If not, we'll sign him to a short term contract. Emelin on the other hand as others have mentioned, is a no-brainer.
Short term contract? I'm willing to bet Diaz would get offered something longer elsewhere.

Not sure what people have a problem with about him this year. He's been a solid top-4 guy. The most consistent blueliner we've had this year, IMO. (PS. Before someone assumes that does not mean "best").

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Emelin - If we he plays the same as he did pre-injury then definitely

Diaz - Possibly, depends how he does the rest of this year and what he wants as a contract. If we re-sign him I'd rather it be something like a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap until a young player can replace him

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Diaz don't really care for. Emelin I'd really be interested in seeing what his knee heals up like before offering a multi-year contract.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I don't see a scenario where we don't sign Emelin unless he wants to go back to Russia.

Diaz, eh, I don't see a future for him in Montreal with Beaulieu in the wings and other younger, cheaper and larger options in Hamilton.

Still have to keep him around until those guys actually take his spot with their play though, imo. The guys who didn't impress as much in camp certainly haven't had enough time to make any further case for themselves (certainly not enough to take a well-performing NHLer's spot), and Diaz is currently a 20 min/night guy and our second highest scoring defenseman. I would have to be astounded by hints from his agent as to what he might be asking in the off season, or a lot would have to change between now and the deadline, to make me consider moving Diaz this year.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I say he let diaz walk or trade him for a 4th round pick

He will sign Emelin for a 12 million 4 year deal

Definitely don't re-sign Diaz. That's Beaulieu's spot. Diaz is a stop-gap, pure and simple. He's a dime-a-dozen type player. I would trade him while he's still putting up points.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
If there is a place for Weber in the NHL ( who we lost for nothing ) then Diaz has value.
Personally, with the right partner he is an above average 5/6 IMO. RH d's are less common than LH.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Still have to keep him around until those guys actually take his spot with their play though, imo. The guys who didn't impress as much in camp certainly haven't had enough time to make any further case for themselves (certainly not enough to take a well-performing NHLer's spot), and Diaz is currently a 20 min/night guy and our second highest scoring defenseman. I would have to be astounded by hints from his agent as to what he might be asking in the off season, or a lot would have to change between now and the deadline, to make me consider moving Diaz this year.

But the organization needs to be more proactive. It's the hanging on to players because "we're not sure about younger guys" line, is what hurts us in trades and free agency. We hang on to Diaz too long, we'll kill his trade value. Better to trade him now while he's still producing and a get a decent return. I'd rather lose a few more games with Beaulieu, all the while getting him important NHL minutes. He's the future, Diaz isn't. And honestly, I seriously doubt he'll be much worse than Diaz.

Dec 2, 2010
Both if we have room for Diaz on the bottom pairing. Really depends on how we change our defence corps. Markov is the key to its shape. If we go for a more defensive dman to replace him, Diaz's offense may be valuable enough to get him re-signed. Beaulieu will not be ready if they yo-yo him this season. Tinordi should be on the bottom pairing to start and should be a solid #5 and more when injuries hit.

With Markov:
Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tino-Diaz

W/out Markov:
Gorges-Subban
Emelin-?OFD?
Tino-Diaz

Gorges and Emelin don't bring enough offense for us to have a punishing defensive 3rd pairing. We need secondary offense and Diaz does it.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
But the organization needs to be more proactive. It's the hanging on to players because "we're not sure about younger guys" line, is what hurts us in trades and free agency. We hang on to Diaz too long, we'll kill his trade value. Better to trade him now while he's still producing and a get a decent return. I'd rather lose a few more games with Beaulieu, all the while getting him important NHL minutes. He's the future, Diaz isn't. And honestly, I seriously doubt he'll be much worse than Diaz.

There's nothing constructively pro-active about a team trying to be competitive through looking to replace a 20 min/night second highest scoring defender with a 20 year old rookie who probably won't even be 20 min/night reliable by the end of the season. You can seriously doubt all you want, but the greater doubts by far surround Beaulieu's ability to handle that role and those minutes in the short term.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I say he let diaz walk or trade him for a 4th round pick

He will sign Emelin for a 12 million 4 year deal

I'm sure MB can get more than a 4th for Diaz. He's signed cheap, has experience playing in different roles(PP and PK) and can be a solid PP contributor. Teams get 4th and 5ths for guys like Ellerby who have little NHL expeience ad are bordering on being total busts.

If he can get Emelin for 4 years 12 mil he should do it fast...I expect closer to 16 mil on a 4 year deal. 14 mil(3.5 mil cap hit) would still be good. They may wait to be sure his knee is 100% before committing big bucks.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Depending on how the season goes, Diaz could be a deadline trade candidate. Of course, it is not just how Diaz plays, but how the prospects behind him play and develop that determines if he should be axed or not.

Plus when Emelin and Murray come back will also be a factor.

Definitely don't re-sign Diaz. That's Beaulieu's spot. Diaz is a stop-gap, pure and simple. He's a dime-a-dozen type player. I would trade him while he's still putting up points.

I'm not sure Beaulieu is ready to play that big a role as a #4-5 guy that quick though.

I think if you can extend Diaz for 2 years at a reasonable rate...2 years 3-3.5 mil, then you have the option of keeping him around OR trading him instaed of having a July 1st deadline looming. A 1.5-1.75 mil cap hit won't hurt his trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad