Does Bergevin re-sign Emelin and Diaz for next year?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Short term contract? I'm willing to bet Diaz would get offered something longer elsewhere.

Not sure what people have a problem with about him this year. He's been a solid top-4 guy. The most consistent blueliner we've had this year, IMO. (PS. Before someone assumes that does not mean "best").

Yes, short term contract. Did I stutter? ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with him, I actually like Diaz. I just don't think he's in the Habs long term plans.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
It depends what Diaz wants term wise, im gonna say he wants at least a 2 year deal minimum for him ideally a 3-4 year deal is good. Don't think the habs should retian him for more than 2 years or even 2 years. I would give him 1yr between 1.5-2M depending on the rest of the year.

For Emelin I would wait till the summer or at least April/May. 3-5 years is good and anywhere between 3-3.75m. I dont think Emelin has proved enough to earn 4m+. He is making 2m right now and a 1-1.75m cap raise is more than enough. Unless Emelin comes back on fire and absolutely tears it up like 7 goals, 20+ assists then maybe he could get more.

Enterning next year,
Gorges for 4 more years.
Tinordi for 1 more year RFA.
Beaulieu for 1 more year RFA.
Drewiske for 1 more year UFA.

Extending/Adding,
Emelin for 4 more years.
Subban for 7/8 more years.
Markov for more 1-2 years.
Tough bottom pairing d with experience sign (Fistric, Hainsey, Fayne, Stoner?) Not much in the UFA market maybe via trade.

Letting go/Subtracting,
Diaz
Bouillon
Murray

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
But understand that "the future" means within the next 5 months (trade deadline), or at most 9-10 months when we're talking about the draft and shoring up next year's starting lineup. It's not as if a decision must be made between them, it's a matter of do we really need both. We don't get to see Beaulieu 10 months from now and then get to go back 5 months to the deadline to make a big decision about Diaz. Beaulieu is going to get games between now and then regardless, so ball is in his court. This team plans on not just making the playoffs, but winning a series, so Beaulieu is going to have to improve from his current level to help more than Diaz in that regard.

The question posed by the creator of this thread is whether we resign Diaz and Emelin for next year.

That being said, I'd be very surprised if Beau and Tinner don't get regular spots on the D next year after having more than a season in the NHL. Assuming they earn regular spots next year and I don't think it's far fetched that they do, that would mean we'd likely have PK, Emelin, Gorges, Beau, Tinner, Drew and likely Markov back. That's 6 regular defensmen and a spare not to mention guys like Pateryn and Nygren
who are waiting in the wings. Add to that depending on what Diaz is asking for, Beau will likely cost less against the cap and fill a similar roll to Diaz.

So while I expect Diaz finish the season with Montreal, I'm not so sure we'll resign him. Not saying we won't just that I think there are better options that would fill a more needed role on the D.

Re signing Markov for 2 years at 8 mil is not realistic. Look at the Gochar and Streit deals. Markov is easily better than both.

Plus, not sure that Markov owes the Habs anything, he got hurt playing NHL hockey, for the Habs...not skiing or riding a dirt bike. It sucks that he was out, but I'm sure it was a lot more unpleasant for him than for the Habs.

It's possible he can get more from us or from another team but given his injury history, he's lost a step and will be another year older, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him more than $5m for more than 2 years. Just because another team will doesn't mean we should. Look at Hamr and him wanting the extra year. I know he was older than Markov but he also played a very different role.

Seeing as Markov was given the contract and term he wanted last contract and that didn't work out too well for us, I'd be surprised if he'd make those demands again. I'd also be surprised if he chose to leave Montreal and go to a different city when he's made it known he'd prefer to stay in Montreal.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
I think people under estimate Diaz...he's not bad...he must have a value come on...a righty moving puck D, defensively not as bad as u think. He's just a bit small and not physical at all but I wouldnt let him go for a 4th round pick like somebody said rofl...a 4th round pick its almost like having nothing in return. Diaz is still an NHL defenseman even if he's not the best I wouldnt throw him in the garbage too quick. Diaz is just in the saaaaame boat as everybody in the team...another guy in the bad chair by the force of things, he gotta play as a top4 big minutes when in reality he is a 5-6th. Imagine if the 3rd pair would be him and Gorges now that would be ''normal'' but Gorges plays 1st plan minutes.

On the other hand while people underrate a bit Diaz I think most the fans also OVERrate Emelin cause he is physical honestly... He has a good shape, yes he's physical but he has no offensive upside at all...he's a good physical defensive Dman that's it that's all. To be honest in a real good team I wonder seriously if he is really a top4 defenseman ! The medias and some fans overhype him cause exept Subban he's the only hard hitter, he's not a star.

To answer the question, yes I re-sign both. We have some good 'righties' in the pipeline if we let Diaz go or trade him but they're not ready...Tinordi and Beaulieu are both lefty so with Markov and Emelin there's only one spot. Tinordi fit more on the 3rd pair next year and Beaulieu gotta takes Markov spot in a near future.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think people under estimate Diaz...he's not bad...he must have a value come on...a righty moving puck D. He's just a bit small and not physical at all but I wouldnt let him go for a 4th round pick like somebody said rofl...a 4th round pick its almost like having nothing in return. Diaz is still an NHL defenseman even if he's not the best I wouldnt throw him in the garbage too quick. Diaz is just in the saaaaame boat as everybody in the team...another guy in the bad chair by the force of things, he gotta play as a top4 big minutes when in reality he is a 5-6th. Imagine if the 3rd pair would be him and Gorges now that would be ''normal'' but Gorges plays 1st plan minutes.

On the other hand while people underrate a bit Diaz I think most the fans also OVERrate Emelin cause he is physical honestly... He has a good shape, yes he's physical but he has no offensive upside at all...he's a good physical defensive Dman that's it that's all. To be honest in a real good team I wonder seriously if he is really a top4 defenseman ! The medias and some fans overhype him cause exept Subban he's the only hard hitter.

I kind of agree with the above, I don't agree with the bottom.

Emelin is mediocre offensively AND defensively. He's alright at both but definitely nothing special. Not a shutdown defenceman, not an offensive defenceman. A large part of it might be because he's still quite new to the league but honestly, he's not very skilled either way. He's a good role player because of his physicality and net presence. We need him but he gets overrated because he's physical and we haven't seen him play in several months.

Halifaxhab*

I think people under estimate Diaz...he's not bad...he must have a value come on...a righty moving puck D, defensively not as bad as u think. He's just a bit small and not physical at all but I wouldnt let him go for a 4th round pick like somebody said rofl...a 4th round pick its almost like having nothing in return. Diaz is still an NHL defenseman even if he's not the best I wouldnt throw him in the garbage too quick. Diaz is just in the saaaaame boat as everybody in the team...another guy in the bad chair by the force of things, he gotta play as a top4 big minutes when in reality he is a 5-6th. Imagine if the 3rd pair would be him and Gorges now that would be ''normal'' but Gorges plays 1st plan minutes.

On the other hand while people underrate a bit Diaz I think most the fans also OVERrate Emelin cause he is physical honestly... He has a good shape, yes he's physical but he has no offensive upside at all...he's a good physical defensive Dman that's it that's all. To be honest in a real good team I wonder seriously if he is really a top4 defenseman ! The medias and some fans overhype him cause exept Subban he's the only hard hitter, he's not a star.

To answer the question, yes I re-sign both. We have some good 'righties' in the pipeline if we let Diaz go or trade him but they're not ready...Tinordi and Beaulieu are both lefty so with Markov and Emelin there's only one spot. Tinordi fit more on the 3rd pair next year and Beaulieu gotta takes Markov spot in a near future.

I would sign Emelin to a 4 yr 3M per deal. He is a solid dman, brings an edge too.

As for Diaz, I do agree mostly with this above post. He does have value, but I would trade him to maximize that value. I see Beaulieu being able to fill that role next season for cheaper than we could sign Diaz for.

Diaz could fetch a solid prospect (a projected physical 3rd line winger perhaps) or even a 2nd, so move him at the deadline for to upgrade our prospect pool.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
I would sign Emelin to a 4 yr 3M per deal. He is a solid dman, brings an edge too.

As for Diaz, I do agree mostly with this above post. He does have value, but I would trade him to maximize that value. I see Beaulieu being able to fill that role next season for cheaper than we could sign Diaz for.

Diaz could fetch a solid prospect (a projected physical 3rd line winger perhaps) or even a 2nd, so move him at the deadline for to upgrade our prospect pool.

Both Diaz and Beaulieu could fetch a nice return in a package... But therevalue will i crease with time. I have a feeling we will build a package for Vanek at the deadline and we will see galchenyuk centering a truefirst line with Vanek and gallagher...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, short term contract. Did I stutter? ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with him, I actually like Diaz. I just don't think he's in the Habs long term plans.
All I'm saying is that I bet Diaz would get offered something longer than 1-2 years elsewhere.

To me, it all depends on his price point. Cheap? Sign him long term. Expensive? Don't sign him at all. Mid range? Offer a short term contract.

Anything under $2.5M, you sign him as long as he wants without thinking IMO.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Diaz definitely has value. He played 24 minutes last night, second only to PK. He deserves to be re-signed short term.

Emelin you sign for sure. He will give our D a much needed boost once he gets back.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
All I'm saying is that I bet Diaz would get offered something longer than 1-2 years elsewhere.

To me, it all depends on his price point. Cheap? Sign him long term. Expensive? Don't sign him at all. Mid range? Offer a short term contract.

Anything under $2.5M, you sign him as long as he wants without thinking IMO.

PMD's traditionally go for much more tho =/, thats the problem. i can see diaz asking for something absurd like 4M +

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Both Diaz and Beaulieu could fetch a nice return in a package... But therevalue will i crease with time. I have a feeling we will build a package for Vanek at the deadline and we will see galchenyuk centering a truefirst line with Vanek and gallagher...

Ok I'll bite...a package for Vanek? Really? He's a free agent at the end of the season. Why not just pick him up then? I wouldn't give up assets for a rental and the habs aren't making a cup run this year.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Sign both if you can. D are high value assets in the league, and those are both quality players in the league. You don't let them walk unless they are really looking to break the bank.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Ok I'll bite...a package for Vanek? Really? He's a free agent at the end of the season. Why not just pick him up then? I wouldn't give up assets for a rental and the habs aren't making a cup run this year.

Buffalo won't trade Vanek within their division anyways. If they do trade him they'll look to the West first.

As for the original question I would sign Emelin and let Diaz walk. Beaulieu can do what he does next year and Pateryn has looked decent as well.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's possible he can get more from us or from another team but given his injury history, he's lost a step and will be another year older, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him more than $5m for more than 2 years. Just because another team will doesn't mean we should. Look at Hamr and him wanting the extra year. I know he was older than Markov but he also played a very different role.

Seeing as Markov was given the contract and term he wanted last contract and that didn't work out too well for us, I'd be surprised if he'd make those demands again. I'd also be surprised if he chose to leave Montreal and go to a different city when he's made it known he'd prefer to stay in Montreal.

His injury history becomes pretty irrelevant if he stays mostly healthy this year. If Malkin was a UFA next summer nobody would care he blew out his ACL 2 years ago.

Markov is an elite talent, for all the talk of him losing foot speed, he looks more than fine mobility wise this year. Yeah he is getting up there in age, but he is more of a smart player than a face first into the boards kind of guy who will decline quickly. Lidstrom played until he was 42 and was still effective, Markov is a very similar player.

Yes I'm sure he wants to stay, but he still wants to be traded fairly. Given the lack of good d-men on the market, I'm sure he can get 2 years 12 mil as a UFA. If you're looking at a home town discount you have to start there and work your way back.

Unless something big happens in the next couple months, I'd have little fear giving him a 3-4 year deal...even 5 if the cap hit was good(4.7 or 4.8 mil) and the salary was deciling.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
His injury history becomes pretty irrelevant if he stays mostly healthy this year. If Malkin was a UFA next summer nobody would care he blew out his ACL 2 years ago.

Markov is an elite talent, for all the talk of him losing foot speed, he looks more than fine mobility wise this year. Yeah he is getting up there in age, but he is more of a smart player than a face first into the boards kind of guy who will decline quickly. Lidstrom played until he was 42 and was still effective, Markov is a very similar player.

Yes I'm sure he wants to stay, but he still wants to be traded fairly. Given the lack of good d-men on the market, I'm sure he can get 2 years 12 mil as a UFA. If you're looking at a home town discount you have to start there and work your way back.

Unless something big happens in the next couple months, I'd have little fear giving him a 3-4 year deal...even 5 if the cap hit was good(4.7 or 4.8 mil) and the salary was deciling.

Fair enough but all that doesn't change the fact that he's older, more worn down and no longer our number one defensman. I hope we keep him as he is an elite talent and one of the best PP guys in the NHL. I just don't want to over pay for him and given his history with is and preference to stay in Montreal, I don't think we should over pay in dollars or years.

I would be fine with a longer term with a favourable hit as you described. Maybe a little less on dollars but in the $4M zone works for me.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Emelin is a no-brainer as long as his knee is not hampering him.

Diaz holds good trade value and is at the same time easily replaced internally by guys like Beaulieu. We should flip Diaz to fill a need while shedding another small player.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
PMD's traditionally go for much more tho =/, thats the problem. i can see diaz asking for something absurd like 4M +
I'd have no problem giving him $3M per/4 years.

If he wants $4M, he better prove a lot more this year and I'm a huge fan.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
we don't have a player like Emelin in the system, 100% must resign. Diaz can be moved to make room for Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Halifaxhab*

I love Emelin! But I dont think he's worth 3-4 million. Give him Prust money. 2.5m x 4 years.

The thing is guys like him are worth 3-4M. We should be able to get him at the lower end of that scale. 3 or 4 yrs would be a good term too

we don't have a player like Emelin in the system, 100% must resign. Diaz can be moved to make room for Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Agreed 100% And, Diaz should have solid value at the deadline. He is inexpensive, and as a RH PMD, a type that is not easy to find. By the deadline, Beaulieu should be able to fill in on the 2nd PP and likely be able to handle 12-15mins a game. Not to mention, by then Murray (sho could also be trade fodder with Tinordi, Pateryn in the wings) Emelin and Drewiske will be healthy again.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I kind of agree with the above, I don't agree with the bottom.

Emelin is mediocre offensively AND defensively. He's alright at both but definitely nothing special. Not a shutdown defenceman, not an offensive defenceman. A large part of it might be because he's still quite new to the league but honestly, he's not very skilled either way. He's a good role player because of his physicality and net presence. We need him but he gets overrated because he's physical and we haven't seen him play in several months.

I think you're selling him short.

I would say he is average offensively. Makes a good first pass, can jump into the play on occasion and has a pretty good point shot.

Defensively he is average in coverage and reading the play, but his physical game bumps him to above average by making players rush their plays and be more hesitant with him on the ice.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I love Emelin! But I dont think he's worth 3-4 million. Give him Prust money. 2.5m x 4 years.

If that's your best offer he will end up on the UFA market and gone in July.

#3-4 d-man who makes a good first pass, can play a shutdown role and plays physical...worth at least 3.5 mil over 4-5 years...probably closer to 4 mil AAV the closer he gets to July 1st. On the UFA market he may get 4-5 years and 4.3-4.5 AAV if the market is anything like last summer.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Guys that are "not strong enough for the NHL" don't play 20+ minutes a game like he has the last 2 years.

I don't think Emelin has a history of knee injuries unless I'm mistaken...

However, I think they'll make sure his knee is close to 100% before signing a big contract.

Diaz has played alot because of injuries to others, they haven't had much choice.

With the puck he is fine and he skates well. He's a plus on the powerplay. But I don't see him winning many battles in the corners or in front of the net, which is important for any dman. He has also been injured a couple of times now. How long will he last in the NHL? We'll see.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Diaz has played alot because of injuries to others, they haven't had much choice.

With the puck he is fine and he skates well. He's a plus on the powerplay. But I don't see him winning many battles in the corners or in front of the net, which is important for any dman. He has also been injured a couple of times now. How long will he last in the NHL? We'll see.

For a guy who was pressed into top 4 duty because they had no options he has pretty solid numbers the last 2 years...29 games 1-16-17 +5. If didn't belong near 20 minutes a game he'd be a big minus player not a +5.

He wins battles with his stick and with smarts, not hacking guys to the ice. Battles are now won just by overpowering guys.

He is more suited to 17-18 minutes in a #5 role, but hasn't looked out of place as a #3-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad