Does anyone else hate when people talk about Gordie Howe hattricks?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm aware of all what you guys are saying and as I've said, whatever makes people happy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a Gordie Howe hat trick. Keep enjoying it.
But in answer to the OP, I'm apathetic towards it, no hate, no love. I don't care about it and never use the term. For all I know, a player scored a goal off his butt, got a secondary assist and had a wrestling match, which are what many fights are nowadays (yes I'm slightly exaggerating).
I don't even often use the term "hat trick", I just usually say a player scored 3 goals.
Oh I agree. I don't feel wedded to it either. The term was around long before me, so I just go with it. That said I do like the notion of a player who can beat you with skill and with toughness -- very much. I don't miss the goon days (where you'd have guys who dress just to fight) but I do miss the days of the nasty power forward. Badly. Give me a Cam Neely and a Bob Probert over a Leo Draisatl any day of the week.

And that is not a slam on Draisatl either -- he's an excellent player, and fun to watch. Just not as much fun as the stereotypical power forward of old. The guy who could indeed deliver in the real spirit of a GH Hatrick. A snipe, a beautiful pass, and a true ass kicking for a guy who deserved it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It’s a fun “stat”. For me it’s the people who hate it when discussed that I don’t like. :sarcasm:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Fighting has gone back to what it was actually meant for,policing of the game by its legit players...And the players all will tell you it does still have a place in the game...Just not the main attraction

Reactions: notsocommonsense

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I always thought it was a bit silly, considering that Howe only did it twice, but it doesn't bother me.

What bothers me more is a 'Gretzky': if you go into a Tim Hortons and order a Gretzky, you get a coffee with nine creams and nine sugars! Vomit city!:eek:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
It was pointed out last night by Gord Miller that Rick Tocchet is the all-time leader in Gordie Howe hat tricks with 18. Chris Neil had 4. They should re-name it the Rick Tocchet hat trick.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad