Does anyone else hate when people talk about Gordie Howe hattricks?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The league was claiming in commercials recently that hockey invented the phrase "Hat Trick". Not true. It was first heard/reported decades earlier regarding a cricket match. Not sure why a hat trick in cricket is a big deal when you can score hundred of points over a matter of days, but meh. I was used for other sports other than hockey before that too.

So who coined the phrase "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" and when?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Fun fact, Gordie Howe himself only had 2 career ‘Gordie Howe hat tricks’.

I read a quote about this fun fact at some point that basically said Howe had more than that, just that fighting majors werent handed out the same way back when he played. Like there would be a brawl and a few guys would fight and the first fight would get the major and the others roughings type deal. A lot of guys jumped into fights and stuff back then too.

Cant remember where I read that, and I'm not sure how many more he woulda had if this didnt take place but the source was pretty sure he would have a few more for sure

I never understood the fascination with it but, whatever makes people happy I guess. :dunno:

Because its pretty rare and it means the player is making a difference in three aspects of the game. Its rare that a guy can fight and have the skill to do that

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I never understood the fascination with it but, whatever makes people happy I guess. :dunno:
Ultimately it's because it's about folklore. Gordie Howe was the stereotypical Power Forward. A guy with hands and ability and a nasty nasty edge. Nice way to lightheartedly encapsulate a good productive day at the office. Buried one. Dished one off to Linsday for a nice goal for him. Beat the shit out of that punk Richard. Job done.

Ironically there was a thread here the other day about modern day Power Forwards. Guess what? They basically don't exist anymore. It's why I'm all for calling out a Gordie special and recognizing it when it happens. Enjoy it now. In a few years you will see it fewer and fewer and fewer times. One day you'll be an old codger telling your grandkids what a Gordie Howe Hatrick was. He or she will look at you like you're a lunatic. "Bullshit grandpa, you crazy old coot. You can't fight in hockey. "

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
We watched those old games on TV in the early 70s. Probably why my hockey team had a line brawl at 12 years old. We were suspended for one game.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hockey is stuck in the 70s. There are a lot of "ok boomer" moments. I really hope we can change that soon as it's gotten tired. The game has changed to skill.
I'm going to laugh when all the "ok boomer" types have their own comeuppance to answer for selfies and praying to the acceptance and validation of their social media altar.

Ooooooooooooh!!!! -- I got another "like".

Paybacks going to be a bitch. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: MikeyMike01

pdavemoney

May 29, 2019
I've seen 2 hat trick games in person from Tarasenko, and 2 Gordie Howe hat trick games in person from Tarasenko.

I was way more stoked with the Gordies. I also got to go home with my hat...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't mind it at all.
Howe was a tough guy who scored a lot of goals and assists.
This keeps his name alive.

How many Rocket Richard trophies Maurice would have won? Pretty sure Gretzky would have won more.

Keep the name alive.

Edit: Maurice would have won Rocket Richard only once

Reactions: robsenz

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
To who, you?

Have you polled the players and executives, or simply come to this conclusion yourself?

The personnel decisions that executives and coaches make sometimes for guys like Tanner Glass and Jack Johnson makes their opinion not infallible. And we barely get any fights nowadays so it seems like executives are choosing to go with players with skill rather than fighters. But go ahead and romanticize pointless #toffness.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The personnel decisions that executives and coaches make sometimes for guys like Tanner Glass and Jack Johnson makes their opinion not infallible. And we barely get any fights nowadays so it seems like executives are choosing to going with players with skill rather than fighters. But go ahead and romanticize pointless #toffness.

Who says it's pointless, you?

I'm sorry that hearing about Gordie Howe hattricks trigger you so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad