Does anyone else hate when people talk about Gordie Howe hattricks?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The game has always been about skill. But it’s the balance of skill and physicality which make it such a beautiful sport to watch.

But physicality as in hits not fighting. No other sport has fighting and it's going instinct in the NHL and the NHL is fine. Most NHL fights are a dog and pony show anyway. Or at least used to be. Two guys with no talent and not particularly great at fighting stage a fight where it's mostly hugging each other.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
But physicality as in hits not fighting. No other sport has fighting and it's going instinct in the NHL and the NHL is fine. Most NHL fights are a dog and pony show anyway. Or at least used to be. Two guys with no talent and not particularly great at fighting stage a fight where it's mostly hugging each other.

Okay? So it sounds like it’s organically going away but it still has its place in hockey and I’m sure the majority of professional players would agree

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What a terrible take...but I’m not surprised this thread has brought out the anti-fighters.
I am an anti fighter but have no issues with the term Gordie Howe Hatty.

It is an accomplishment.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Actually a lot of the fighting this season is being done by top 9 forwards and top 4 D. The days of the 4th line face puncher fighting 4th line face puncher is mostly over. The players want fighting in the game, leave it alone.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Most sports aren't as dangerous as hockey, and two grown men throwing down the gloves is a better way to vent steam than slashing someone in the neck with their stick. Its part of what makes hockey unique.

Every time they poll players about it, an overwhelming majority of them want to keep fighting in the game.

So yeah. Love me some Gordie Howe hat tricks and love me some Brady Tkachuk style old time hockey.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Actually a lot of the fighting this season is being done by top 9 forwards and top 4 D. The days of the 4th line face puncher fighting 4th line face puncher is mostly over. The players want fighting in the game, leave it alone.

The staged fighting by guys like Brian McGratten was never all that exciting. Glad to be done with that. But the day they ban fighting from the NHL is the day I stop watching it. It won't be the same game anymore.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Have you ever seen people praise players for getting the Gordie Howe hat trick? I certainly haven't. Most people just think it's kinda cool and then forget it the next day.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
There are people who won't be happy until every bit of tradition and intensity are stripped from the game. In their place will be advertisements for Doritos and players kneeling in deference to some cause or another. Ah progress...

Reactions: topshelf15

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think anyone is saying Gordie Howe Hattrick is any form of accomplishment that warrants All Star votes, let alone HOF.

Its just fun thing to talk about. chill out boss man.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The only disappointing thing is that players don't try to bait the other team into a fight to get their teammate the hat trick they're sitting on a goal and assist the same way they try to get their teammate the empty net goal when they're sitting on 2 goals.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's not important enough that it should generate any hate. It's just a little quirky colloquialism, don't see why it would cause hate. What's different about glorifying them in 2021 as opposed to in 2000? Goal, assists, and fights are earned the same way they have been for the last 50+ years.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
"I hate these goons who can't do anything but fight. Why not just dress pro boxers and have them skate (poorly) for a shift or two and engage in fights? Honestly, things were so much better when the players could score, create and protect themselves without the need of enforcers".

Followed by:

"It's so stupid that we appreciate players who can score, create and fight when need be".

In reality, there is no purer hockey thing than a player who can score, create goals and also lay down some Knuckle sandwiches.

Reactions: mclaren55

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Ultimately it's because it's about folklore. Gordie Howe was the stereotypical Power Forward. A guy with hands and ability and a nasty nasty edge. Nice way to lightheartedly encapsulate a good productive day at the office. Buried one. Dished one off to Linsday for a nice goal for him. Beat the shit out of that punk Richard. Job done.

Ironically there was a thread here the other day about modern day Power Forwards. Guess what? They basically don't exist anymore. It's why I'm all for calling out a Gordie special and recognizing it when it happens. Enjoy it now. In a few years you will see it fewer and fewer and fewer times. One day you'll be an old codger telling your grandkids what a Gordie Howe Hatrick was. He or she will look at you like you're a lunatic. "Bullshit grandpa, you crazy old coot. You can't fight in hockey. "

Because its pretty rare and it means the player is making a difference in three aspects of the game. Its rare that a guy can fight and have the skill to do that

I'm aware of all what you guys are saying and as I've said, whatever makes people happy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying a Gordie Howe hat trick. Keep enjoying it.
But in answer to the OP, I'm apathetic towards it, no hate, no love. I don't care about it and never use the term. For all I know, a player scored a goal off his butt, got a secondary assist and had a wrestling match, which are what many fights are nowadays (yes I'm slightly exaggerating).
I don't even often use the term "hat trick", I just usually say a player scored 3 goals.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'm sorry that hearing someone thinking #toffness is pointless triggers you so much. Thankfully the NHL is moving away from your neanderthal mindset.

Neanderthal mindset? You've officially lost the plot, mate.

Not surprising I suppose when someone simply talking about Gordie Howe Hattricks will apparently send you into a rage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad