Doc Emrick Retiring

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Props to the Doc on a legendary career. Personally, I loved the guy. His overly energetic style was something I really appreciated. I know over the years, he would ramble and say some things that really didn't make much sense but I feel like every announcer is guilty of this.

I'll miss his overly enthusiastic "AHHHGHHHHHRRRGHHHH" when there was a high danger chance in the crease or something.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
"The relief will only come. with the first water out of the shower."

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I wasn't much of a Doc fan but he had a great description of the Stanley Cup a few years ago. It was about everything the players do to win a trophy they aren't allowed to keep.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Thanks for all you have done for the game Doc. God Speed in your retirement.

I wonder if he will return to Pittsburgh to live out his remaining days to watch the Pirates be god awful.....

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I liked that outside of game action, he spoke the exact same way. Like in casual interviews he was like "I. Was. Looking Skyward. On THAT one.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I have nothing but respect for Doc and I hope he enjoys his retirement. That being said, I never liked him calling games and thought going from Gary Thorne to Doc was a major downgrade. The shrillness of his voice will haunt my dreams forever.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wasn’t a huge fan of his but met him once at Newark Penn Station when he was doing Devils PBP (he was taking a train to call a national game the following night) and he was a very nice guy and took time to talk with multiple fans so I appreciate that. A lot of people in his shoes would “big league” fans and try to avoid them

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I beg to differ.

Doc was great as long as there is action til the last second. Lets look at the LAK's Cup wins

"The Stanley Cup to Los Angeles. The Kings are the kings"

Like a weatherman

Bone chilling. Hair raising. I've watched it seriously 50 times and I'm a Lightning fan. It's literally my favorite sports call of all time.

Doc could bring it. My problem is he would match the excitement on the ice until the most exciting moment unless circumstance called for it as if less enthusiasm is required for winning a Cup than toe tip save. Where the hell is that excitement in "the Kings are the kings?"

Tampa got a call worthy of paint drying

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

That he’d establish himself as an East Coast voice — Hershey Bears, Maine Mariners, Flyers, Rangers’ radio, Devils — before ESPN, CBS and finally NBC was this region’s great fortune.

On a personal, off-air basis, Emrick is the ultimate mensch. A deacon in the Methodist Church, his gentle sense of humor and unyielding patience and respect for all creates envy for a life well-lived, with plenty left to give.

Emrick once met flattery with the suggestion that folks name their progeny “Doc” by saying “as long as it’s not Grumpy, Dopey or Sleepy.”

Sam Flood, executive producer of NBC Sports, put it very well: “Doc is a national treasure. Simply put, he’s one of the best ever to put on a headset.”

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/mike-doc-emrick-retiring-from-legendary-nhl-broadcasting-career/

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
What a legendary career he had as an announcer. I hope he enjoys retirement. He has earned it.

I hope Forslund is the new top guy but I wouldn't mind Albert.

OmazingGrace

Apr 19, 2019
I know for a fact that a few of my friends who never liked hockey before started liking it after listening to him announce the final. Its exciting. Admit it.

Not this year. But like the Pens/Wings finals

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
the horrible mousy voice constantly gabbing over game action trying to be witty was a joke , nbc is a joke . should have been chris cuthbert all these years doing national broadcast for the best in business TSN . but american washed up ruling class clowns bought the nhl broadcast rights theyve no business with
How anyone could dislike Emricks voice, and simultaneously praise Cuthberts voice is absolutely beyond me.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Emrick, unlike Bob Cole, knew when it was time to go.

Not as great as Gary Thorne but was always solid.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I know NBC pays him too much to relegate him to hockey full-time, but I'd love to see Mike Tirico call more games. He was really good in the first game he announced, but can't remember if he did any more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad