Doc Emrick Retiring

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Mark me down as a fan of Doc. Much like Tom Durkin in horse racing, he added colorful descriptions - a storytelling style - beyond the bland, mechanical comments so often heard. I wish him the best in retirement,

Adding to my disappointment in his departure is the preliminary report Forslund isn’t the replacement. Though they’ve enjoyed excellent careers, I think I’ve overdosed on the Albert family over the years.

Reactions: TaLoN

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You will miss him terribly in time. The best hockey play by play man ever.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
122117107_10223521226843958_8531161726668025164_o.jpg

My boys, now well in their 20s, will never forget.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Doc was a colorful character for the voice of hockey, and I think he represented the sport very well. I am a fan.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I still think Gary Thorne was my all-time favorite. Probably because I was 16 when ESPN got hockey back and I started hearing him on a regular basis. He was the first announcer I actually remember looking forward to hearing.

But I always appreciated Doc. His enthusiasm was contagious, he was knowledgeable, and genuinely enjoyed what he did. I'll miss him.

Congrats, Doc.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He definitely morphed into a caricature of himself the last number of years, but growing up a hockey fan during the 90s, he’s probably the most iconic American voice in the sport of the past three decades with the exception of perhaps Gary Thorne (who hasn’t even announced NHL hockey in 15 or so years.

All the best to him.

Reactions: tny760

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Don’t want to hijack the thread, but I’d rather Forslund than Albert as the new primary national guy. Kenny Albert has a good voice, but his actual PbP is super generic IMO.

I’m not asking for Jack Edwards level insanity, but you should have more than one way of announcing a goal.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Kinda surprised he announced his retirement in the offseason instead of doing a victory lap w/ one final season.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I never understood why he's so popular...

First of all, his voice is annoying, but okay, that's a subjective point of view.

But he comments with such a small vocabulary. He always repeats the same stuff:
- Ricochet
- Threw one in front
- OFF! THE! PIPE!
- It wouldn't go
- My goodness
- And then his weird -ing sentences... Like Making the save is Khudobin

Having said that, enjoy your deserved retirement, Doc, and all the best

He literally had a massive vocabulary

Best of luck to a true legend. My greatest complaint is he would be so nonchalant when teams won the Cup. Just so bland and matter of fact when he'd spend all playoffs hyping it up. It was such a horrible contrast. I was genuinely surprised he didn't say "The Stanley Cup to Tampa"

What do you want him to do? Scream during the whole thing?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
TRANSCRIPT - MIKE 'DOC' EMRICK RETIREMENT MEDIA CONFERENCE CALL - NBC Sports Pressbox

One other note and then I will stop. Joyce and I have always cared about animals of all kinds, and this date got crowded into the hockey calendar because of the launch date tomorrow determined six months ago of a book that Kevin Allen and I — Kevin, who was for 34 years the hockey writer for USA Today, we began a book about a year and a half or so ago, and it is titled “Off Mike,” and it launches tomorrow. Triumph is publishing it. It is autobiographical, a lot of hockey stories, but it’s on sale beginning tomorrow wherever books are sold, and 100 percent of whatever I receive goes to the hands-on care of animals, dogs and cats and volunteers, gas cards for them, veterinarians that you don’t know and probably won’t know, and I will thank persons who buy a copy.

You know, in this pandemic there are occasionally surgeries that might need to be done that can’t be done for free, and there are people that because they are out of work don’t get a chance maybe have the option of paying for those. This is an area where Joyce and I can occasionally step in.

This is not an organized fund that we have created other than it is just cash where we see needs and are occasionally able to meet them, and that makes us feel good, and it does good for animals of all kinds.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Congrats to him. I was never a fan, but he obviously made a great career out of it.

That was one of the things that annoyed me about him. Not that he was overly enthusiastic, but that he didn't say what actually happened until seconds later. Imagine listening to that PBP on the radio and trying to figure out what was going on. Plus, it sounded kind of forced to me. My other pet peeve about his style was the use of nouns as verbs, e.g. "finessed."

To each their own I guess. I really enjoyed hearing his called throughout the years. One of a kind IMO. He'll be missed.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
He definitely morphed into a caricature of himself the last number of years, but growing up a hockey fan during the 90s, he’s probably the most iconic American voice in the sport of the past three decades with the exception of perhaps Gary Thorne (who hasn’t even announced NHL hockey in 15 or so years.

All the best to him.
yeah, not my kind of call which was always sort of emblematic of my problems with NBC's playoff telecasting, but i respect his career and he carved out a niche. happy trails to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad