Doc Emrick Retiring

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’ve hardly ever heard Emrick talk about himself but I’m watching an interview on NHL Network and he seems like a really great guy.

Always liked his enthusiasm. Seemed like he was as much a fan of the game as he was the play by play announcer.

I think it’s difficult for serious partisan fans to enjoy national broadcast teams because it’s their job to upsell rivalries and conflict and sometimes that involves dumping on our favorite teams.

I ran across him long ago when I was working in DC. Nice guy. Really regular guy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Doc was fine as a regional announcer and as 1 of several voices during the 90s.

He shouldn’t have been elevated to being the “voice of the NHL” and certainly not for such a long time. We missed a lot of would-be classic calls because of his... style, I guess you could call it.

I give him the respect due to a long term institution, but it’s refreshing to think of the big national broadcasts having a more refined voice in the future.

Broadcast media is my career and air talent/programming is my specialty. I certainly get why some dont like Doc. There is somebody to hate on anyone. But removing style points that rubbed you the wrong way and looking at how well he performed his job. The smoothness that he worked thru his elements and worked his crew into the broadcast. How he executed the game plan from the production meetings. He was elite. Half of that job is smoothly selling the audience on stuff and he did it so well that you didnt know it had happened. Then there is the fact that he got along with everyone from the low level crew member to the bosses. The league and the network loved him. He didnt rock the boat and didnt twist co worker tails. As opposed to say Milbury and Jonesy.

Forslund will be a great replacement

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
8ad8310764fb3086dcf84f6fe572a28b.jpg

Thanks for bumping the thread and reminding me how happy I am the screeching weasel is gone.

Reactions: Lobodomy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad