Doc Emrick Retiring

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Playoff hockey without Doc is not the same - despite what you think of him, his voice just gives the entire broadcast that next level - ala this is an important game vibe ..

Thanks to the Hawks sucking I haven’t heard much of him over the last few years aside from the occasional NBC game. I can see how his act can grow old but I never reached that point.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
TRANSCRIPT - MIKE 'DOC' EMRICK RETIREMENT MEDIA CONFERENCE CALL - NBC Sports Pressbox

One other note and then I will stop. Joyce and I have always cared about animals of all kinds, and this date got crowded into the hockey calendar because of the launch date tomorrow determined six months ago of a book that Kevin Allen and I — Kevin, who was for 34 years the hockey writer for USA Today, we began a book about a year and a half or so ago, and it is titled “Off Mike,” and it launches tomorrow. Triumph is publishing it. It is autobiographical, a lot of hockey stories, but it’s on sale beginning tomorrow wherever books are sold, and 100 percent of whatever I receive goes to the hands-on care of animals, dogs and cats and volunteers, gas cards for them, veterinarians that you don’t know and probably won’t know, and I will thank persons who buy a copy.

You know, in this pandemic there are occasionally surgeries that might need to be done that can’t be done for free, and there are people that because they are out of work don’t get a chance maybe have the option of paying for those. This is an area where Joyce and I can occasionally step in.

This is not an organized fund that we have created other than it is just cash where we see needs and are occasionally able to meet them, and that makes us feel good, and it does good for animals of all kinds.
I wish I could like this post more than once.

His speech about rescue dogs at his Devils retirement ceremony stuck with me for some reason.

Empathy in a person's character is an invaluable quality imo.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

That he’d establish himself as an East Coast voice — Hershey Bears, Maine Mariners, Flyers, Rangers’ radio, Devils — before ESPN, CBS and finally NBC was this region’s great fortune.

On a personal, off-air basis, Emrick is the ultimate mensch. A deacon in the Methodist Church, his gentle sense of humor and unyielding patience and respect for all creates envy for a life well-lived, with plenty left to give.

Emrick once met flattery with the suggestion that folks name their progeny “Doc” by saying “as long as it’s not Grumpy, Dopey or Sleepy.”

Sam Flood, executive producer of NBC Sports, put it very well: “Doc is a national treasure. Simply put, he’s one of the best ever to put on a headset.”

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/mike-doc-emrick-retiring-from-legendary-nhl-broadcasting-career/

that’s two videos this year Doc has waxed poetic romanticism about this great game. That was great. :puppy:

I will miss his enthusiasm the most. He exudes passion on every game and some of the best Stanley Cup clinchers were called by him. The night Washington won might have been his crowning achievement.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Easily my favorite Doc moment. Happy trails!

hqdefault.jpg

froot loop

Sep 11, 2020
I think there is a part 2 lol
Hi, I am the one who made the Thorne compilations on youtube. There are now 4 parts, with part 4 being almost 2 hours long. I also made a video of strictly playoff overtime goals called by Gary. Here's the playlist of the 5 videos if you'd like to watch.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Eddie Olczyk, NBC broadcaster

Doc is going to get mad at me for this, but what the hell? We still laugh about it every time we talk about it.
So just to take you through it: before the game starts, we always go over all of our graphics and the promos, and there’s rehearsals, right? The billboards are what we run coming out of a break, and usually on the national shows those are done live. On the cable channel, they’re usually taped.

So one day, we were in St. Louis, I forget what year it was, but this was right around when TurboTax had a breach. We were doing a national game, but our understanding was that we were in rehearsal when we were recording the billboards. So Doc is reading them — you know, a Bud commercial, like, “the NHL on NBC brought to you by Budweiser, United Airlines and TurboTax.” And without a bat of an eyelash, Doc goes, “And TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.” He just gives a quick little, you know, and we laughed.

Well, what ended up happening was, instead of doing the billboards live, they ran Doc’s taped version. So we’re sitting there and all of a sudden here come the billboards and I’m going, “Usually we read these live, but maybe there was a problem and I just missed something.” Then I hear, “And brought to you by TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.”

They just kept his rehearsal because they thought it was so good, but nobody ever caught it. Everybody was just roaring when he did it at rehearsal, but when it really went out over the air, trust me, there was no laughing when that happened. I’m not kidding you, his phone was ringing in the booth. He was on the phone with Lou Oppenheim, our agent, I think calling the sales department. I was like, “This is probably not good. We’re probably writing a check to TurboTax for $50,000 for the sponsorship.”

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I know Darryl Reaugh has always been a colour guy, but I think he's ready to be THE play by play guy on NBC

Reactions: Oneiro

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

That he’d establish himself as an East Coast voice — Hershey Bears, Maine Mariners, Flyers, Rangers’ radio, Devils — before ESPN, CBS and finally NBC was this region’s great fortune.

On a personal, off-air basis, Emrick is the ultimate mensch. A deacon in the Methodist Church, his gentle sense of humor and unyielding patience and respect for all creates envy for a life well-lived, with plenty left to give.

Emrick once met flattery with the suggestion that folks name their progeny “Doc” by saying “as long as it’s not Grumpy, Dopey or Sleepy.”

Sam Flood, executive producer of NBC Sports, put it very well: “Doc is a national treasure. Simply put, he’s one of the best ever to put on a headset.”

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/mike-doc-emrick-retiring-from-legendary-nhl-broadcasting-career/

All class. Great vid. Brought tears to my eyes

Reactions: TaLoN

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Eddie Olczyk, NBC broadcaster

Doc is going to get mad at me for this, but what the hell? We still laugh about it every time we talk about it.
So just to take you through it: before the game starts, we always go over all of our graphics and the promos, and there’s rehearsals, right? The billboards are what we run coming out of a break, and usually on the national shows those are done live. On the cable channel, they’re usually taped.

So one day, we were in St. Louis, I forget what year it was, but this was right around when TurboTax had a breach. We were doing a national game, but our understanding was that we were in rehearsal when we were recording the billboards. So Doc is reading them — you know, a Bud commercial, like, “the NHL on NBC brought to you by Budweiser, United Airlines and TurboTax.” And without a bat of an eyelash, Doc goes, “And TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.” He just gives a quick little, you know, and we laughed.

Well, what ended up happening was, instead of doing the billboards live, they ran Doc’s taped version. So we’re sitting there and all of a sudden here come the billboards and I’m going, “Usually we read these live, but maybe there was a problem and I just missed something.” Then I hear, “And brought to you by TurboTax, it’s amazing what hackers can do.”

They just kept his rehearsal because they thought it was so good, but nobody ever caught it. Everybody was just roaring when he did it at rehearsal, but when it really went out over the air, trust me, there was no laughing when that happened. I’m not kidding you, his phone was ringing in the booth. He was on the phone with Lou Oppenheim, our agent, I think calling the sales department. I was like, “This is probably not good. We’re probably writing a check to TurboTax for $50,000 for the sponsorship.”

woa, I didn’t know Eddie had an account here. Hilarious story!

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
I honestly COULD see how some people find him annoying at times now. He is past his prime now. Also I think NBC wanted him to try to announce for a more casual audience But having grown up listen to him in New Jersey, he was so good for a long time. The game was more exciting when he was calling it. You can tell he just loves hockey. He has never biased even for the Devils. Also he seems like one of the classiest and nicest people in the game.

This is one of my favorite random calls of his.

Reactions: T REX

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Never was much of a fan of him but I hope he has a Happy retirement.

Sgooter

Dec 4, 2014
As time when by, Doc Emrick became the voice of NHL hockey broadcasts, and he earned it. He was committed to this sport and was a consummate professional while on the air.
I'll miss his PBP and excited goal calls, which added great color and timely humor to every game. Wishing him a happy retirement - well deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad