Dobson or Boqvist ?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I have watched boqvist as well and it depends how you evaluate these players at this age (more so his international and games in sweden), I dont see any players at this age (and boqvist is still very young) not make some mistakes. I see it when I watch dobson as well. But i dont see issue's that cant be corrected.

Boqvist has been solid in the games I have watched at world jr as well defensively.

I would take Dobson everyday of the week and twice on Sundays over Boqvist. Dobson is just a better all around defensemen than Boqvist. Pietrangelo is perfect comparison for Dobson.

No matter how many times throughout the years when it comes to prospects I have heard oh he can learn to play better defense it always makes me laugh. The amount of guys that actually do learn is quite low.

For the most part the best defensmen in the NHL knew how to play defense at this age. Most who were bad defensively are still not great defensively.

The Islanders got a steal with this pick. Van and Chicago messed up.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Boqvist is actually good defensively as well.

If dobson turns out to be a pure shut down defenseman like willie mitchell then hats off, not something I shoot for drafting in the top 15. We will see how this one turns out in the coming years.

I know some claimed pietrangelo or ryan suter in comparison as well, projecting teenagers as shut down 30 minute d-man is something i also find very difficult to project at that age.

I don't know why you talk about shut down defenseman and Willie Mitchell while talking about Dobson?

Dobson is a complete defenseman. Like Seth Jones.

A guy that you can trust in any situation. That will be a natural leader. Play half a game if you need him to. A right handed defenseman (rare and valuable).

I don't know why people don't catch that. PPG in his draft year. He was the #1 defenseman of his team at 17. Won the Q championship and was clutch in the M-Cup.

I mean what you need more? He doesn't make much noise because he's not flashy. But he does everything very well. A coach's dream.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't know why you talk about shut down defenseman and Willie Mitchell while talking about Dobson?

A guy that you can trust in any situation. That will be a natural leader. Play half a game if you need him to. A right handed defenseman (rare and valuable).

I don't know why people don't catch that. PPG in his draft year. He was the #1 defenseman of his team at 17. Won the Q championship and was clutch in the M-Cup.

I mean what you need more? He doesn't make much noise because he's not flashy. But he does everything very well. A coach's dream.

Seth Jones is pretty flashy sometimes. A complete dman like Suter is probably more suitable. I doubt Dobson every touches 50 points in a season in the NHL though. Producing in junior is a different game. Every dmen that gets drafted in the first half of the first round is PPG or really close to it. Its not about stats, more about skill set for Dobson. He doesnt really have a trait that stands out but hes solid in all aspects of the game.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I would take Dobson everyday of the week and twice on Sundays over Boqvist. Dobson is just a better all around defensemen than Boqvist. Pietrangelo is perfect comparison for Dobson.

No matter how many times throughout the years when it comes to prospects I have heard oh he can learn to play better defense it always makes me laugh. The amount of guys that actually do learn is quite low.

For the most part the best defensmen in the NHL knew how to play defense at this age. Most who were bad defensively are still not great defensively.

lol im sure Van fans are just fine with Hughes. Teams never had a true puck moving dmen for ages.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
lol im sure Van fans are just fine with Hughes. Teams never had a true puck moving dmen for ages.
I was fine with Hughes when drafted because I thought he would be signed and play this year. I was a little upset when it didn't happen because I thought a right handed dman would have been better if we had to wait a year for Quinn to play. I think at least one of Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson and Smith will score more points than him and most of them will definitely score more goals. But I don't care because he is entertaining. I find playmakers much more entertaining than one dimensional boring players who only stand on the hashmarks on a power play and fill the net. Sorry Boeser, Laine, Ovechkin but I might as well be watching professional darts compititions. As for who I'd pick it would be Boqvist>Dobson. I watched Dobson in memorial cup and he put up points, but he didn't stick out that much to me. I think he is overhyped, The qmjhl and whl are a bit of a joke compared to the ohl.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I completely disagree with what you project dobson as and we can go around in circles debating who will be better, this will be a fun one to revisit because I simply do not see the upside in dobson's game, being a great shut down d-man and evaluating that level of defensive awareness against teenagers is such a hard thing for me to project at the nhl level. Again we seem to completely disagree and imo van and chicago got it right, time will tell and we can revisit this.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I do not see seth jones at all when comparing dobson.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
After a slow start, Boqvist has really started to turn it on. Chicago fans have started feeling a lot better about the pick. The question was never Boqvist or Dobson it was Boqvist or Wahlstrom.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Boqvist all day long, better passer, better skater, will quarterback a powerplay at the NHL level and is an underrated defender. Now he will never be able to move Tom Wilson out from the front of the net so you will need to pair him with a bigger, stronger player at the next level but the offensive talent is so much greater than Dobson that I think its not really close. Dobson is probably the better defender but he's not very big either, tall but not a big frame so I don't think he's ever going to be a 210-220lb shutdown guy, he's kind of a tweener. Dobson also a really nice prospect but I see him as a 3rd/4th guys rather than a top pairing guy.

And whovever compared him to Pietrangelo, that is crazy talk in my opinion, maybe I'm way off but I just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad