Dobson or Boqvist ?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dobson. I personally think Dobson is above the next 3 d commonly talked about with him. The kids game is very complete, with the only thing needed is filling out. The other 3 feel more like guys who get middle-pairing usage at 5v5 but excel on the PP. Dobson gives me Pietrangelo or Suter vibes. I think a resonable middle to slightly above average upside is what Boumeester ultimately became. A great skater with high hockey IQ who can eat tough minutes and play all roles, but may not provide the offense you want.

Boqvist and Hughes could be Gostisbehere or Ty Barrie level players who are used as middle pairing guys at 5v5 but excel on the PP and offensive situations. Bouchard, I'm not sold on, but he could turn into a Brent Burns type player, but he could also turn into someone like Cody Franson. Realistically, I think he's a different type of guy you put on your middle pairing and excels in offensive situations due to his passing and shot, whereas Boqvist and Hughes are more offensive due to their skating (along with IQ and in Boqvist's case shot).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Boqvist
1. Younger (one of the younger guys in draft)
2. Higher ceiling
3. Better hands,shot,speed

I would always draft skill and ceiling look at how it turned out with Pettersson. I wouldn’t be mad with Dobson he’s one hell of a prospect but with the choice I got to go with Adam
Dobson's ceiling is equally as high. While Boqvist may put up more points, unless he somehow turns into Erik Karlsson (which is highly unlikely) a guy who turns into a Pietrangelo or Ryan Suter is as valuable as almost any D in the league.

Better shot and hands yes. But, Dobson is the better overall skater, plus he's 6'4.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I do have the choice; but as I'm Buffalo; neither!

Nice to be in this position, and to not be racking our brains out over who we're going to pick over who....:thumbu:

Reactions: Wings4Life

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dobson for me, without blinking.

He's significantly bigger in every dimension, while also a very strong skater. He's a far more engaged defensive player with way more reach and frame to control players. He's also plenty capable of lugging the puck around and generating offense from the back end in a projectable NHL fashion. He may not be the same calibre pure PPQB as Boqvist, but i place a pretty big premium on all-around upside with top picks like that...and Dobson's ceiling in that regard is the one that looks "sky high" to me. He also doesn't have all the same brain injury concerns.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Real close, leaning towards Dobson right now but might change my mind again before the draft. Would be happy with my Wings picking either, since we're not picking top 5.

Slight edge to Dobson right now, those two back to back concussions scare me a bit for Boqvist. He's not the biggest guy, and Dmen take a lot of punishment in the NHL. If Boqvist recovers though and has a low-contact year in Sweden this might be him, we'll see.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I do have the choice; but as I'm Buffalo; neither!

Nice to be in this position, and to not be racking our brains out over who we're going to pick over who....:thumbu:

Buffalo, like Philly last year, has the easiest pick of the draft. Which is a huge advantage, as they can scout their lower picks twice as hard now. Most scouts spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out who to use the first round pick on.

Buffalo will still have to do their due dilligence on Dahlin, but I imagine it's minimal compared to most years.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
What i find strange is that Dobson stocks seems to have sky rise after the season ended?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Dobson's ceiling is equally as high. While Boqvist may put up more points, unless he somehow turns into Erik Karlsson (which is highly unlikely) a guy who turns into a Pietrangelo or Ryan Suter is as valuable as almost any D in the league.

Better shot and hands yes. But, Dobson is the better overall skater, plus he's 6'4.

Yep, it's sort of like Pietrangelo vs Gostisbehere. Do you want the all around stud who's still very good offensively? or the offensive dynamo who has is shortcomings on his own side of the redline.

For me its petro all day, which i guess equates to dobson, so put me on that side of the debate but by no means is it a slight on boqvist

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I am glad your so sure of yourself perdicting the future, will be interesting to revisit this one in awhile.

I'm curious to know, why Boqvist is your choice between the two?? As I've said in comparative threads about him, he may end up a very good NHL player. So for me it's not an anti Boqvist thing. He's a young player. But with all that's leaking about him, why do you think he's a better pick than Dobson?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm curious to know, why Boqvist is your choice between the two?? As I've said in comparative threads about him, he may end up a very good NHL player. So for me it's not an anti Boqvist thing. He's a young player. But with all that's leaking about him, why do you think he's a better pick than Dobson?

Post 29 covers alot of the reasons I like boqvist more, although I do feel skating or speed is not one of them as mentioned above. I am sure the dobson fans wont agree with this.

Boqvist has an elite shot and great mind for the game in my opinion, my biggest issue with him and button did touch on it is intensity, but that is something correctable.

I am not a huge dobson fan, in the games i watch I just didnt see a top pick or the offensive upside. With that said I understand why some on here really like him, because of his size and tools and what he could grow to be, but when I evaluate players I need to see glimpses of that high end talent and I just dont see it. I see alot of Pietrangelo comments and I dont see that smoothness or poise of Pietrangelo. When I watched him i seen colton parayko. I also find it difficult to draft 17 year olds who you think will play monster minutes in a shutdown role at the nhl level like ryan suter or are you getting a willie mitchell (a fine player but not someone I would take drafting in the top 8).

Reactions: HailMcJesus

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Dobson for me.

Apparently his character and leadership is just as impresssive as his skills.

Wasnt he made Captain at age 17 in the QMJHL?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
IIRC Boqvist came into the season 4th on Bob McKenzie's list.

He hasn't improved, qualitatively, since. In the highly unspectacular Swedish J20 league he improved ~.07 ppg. He was expected to demonstrate some level of excellence (or competence) at the senior level, he did not. He also bumped his head twice along the way.

He's running on the fumes of pre-season hype and a nice but not quite fangirl-worthy WJC U18.

Noah Dobson is like a player you might custom build on NHL 18. This is not, for me, a difficult question.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Post 29 covers alot of the reasons I like boqvist more, although I do feel skating or speed is not one of them as mentioned above. I am sure the dobson fans wont agree with this.

Boqvist has an elite shot and great mind for the game in my opinion, my biggest issue with him and button did touch on it is intensity, but that is something correctable.

I am not a huge dobson fan, in the games i watch I just didnt see a top pick or the offensive upside. With that said I understand why some on here really like him, because of his size and tools and what he could grow to be, but when I evaluate players I need to see glimpses of that high end talent and I just dont see it. I see alot of Pietrangelo comments and I dont see that smoothness or poise of Pietrangelo. When I watched him i seen colton parayko. I also find it difficult to draft 17 year olds who you think will play monster minutes in a shutdown role at the nhl level like ryan suter or are you getting a willie mitchell (a fine player but not someone I would take drafting in the top 8).

I wasnt a big fan of Dobson AS A TOP 10 pick earlier either. Thought he was raw but almost to raw to be a top pick. In fact, thought he was in the same category as Miller at US program. Still thought he'd go between 17-35. In December I would've had it Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, Smith, McIsaac, Miller and Dobson.... with only Dahlin, Boqvist and Bouchard in the top 10, and maybe Hughes having a shot to be around 10.

After everyone's season, Quinn's WCs, Boqvist struggles at SHL level, etc, I have it Dahlin, Hughes, Dobson, Smith, Bouchard, Boqvist, Miller and Sandin. In two years from now, I think there might be a lot of people asking why Miller wasn't drafted higher. Someone is going to be very happy getting him between 20-35... McIsaac fell off the charts for me.

To me Boqvist has great open ice skills but when asked to play against better competition, even on olympic ice, he struggled. And that's an understatement. There was also rumours about the WJ team.. As Button said on NHL Radio recently, there's scouts mentioning alarming attributes. Correctable? Possibly but is he worth a top 10 pick, waiting 3 years on? Probably not. Around 20OA is probably where he should go. He has the skill to justify that area of the draft. Most teams just arent willing to wait 3 years on a top 10 pick anymore. Maybe a team like Philly or NYI who have two picks in the teens, are ok with waiting on him. Both have the luxury in many ways.

Dobson's combination of skill, size, speed, smarts and competitiveness has him moving up the charts. He gets better every month in every category. He now uses his size and skating ability in traffic offensively like he wasnt before. He's able to place his shot more each month and he's still a monster defensively.

With those attributes and still very raw in many ways, I just cant see taking a player with many more questions ahead of him in a draft where missing on a D in the top 10 just cant happen..

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
To me Boqvist has great open ice skills but when asked to play against better competition, even on olympic ice, he struggled. And that's an understatement. There was also rumours about the WJ team.. As Button said on NHL Radio recently, there's scouts mentioning alarming attributes. Correctable? Possibly but is he worth a top 10 pick, waiting 3 years on? Probably not. Around 20OA is probably where he should go. He has the skill to justify that area of the draft. Most teams just arent willing to wait 3 years on a top 10 pick anymore. Maybe a team like Philly or NYI who have two picks in the teens, are ok with waiting on him. Both have the luxury in many ways.

This is interesting because you have lumped him into a 3 year possible time frame before he is in the nhl. I dont know if those threads exist since the switch over of hfboards but i heard the same thing and got into the same arguments about petersson in his draft year. People said he was 3 years away.

Predicting the future is very difficult, projections are part of scouting but things like "so and so is this far away" i just dont personally subscribe to. Dobson is very raw in some area's himself but has nhl size going for him. Boqvist is also one of the youngest draft eligible players, which to me is a good thing. You have to be patient drafting, good players will find a way into the nhl soon enough if they are good players and do well, the problem before imo was the red wings model overcooking prospects, and now we realize good players can play in the nhl at 18-19. If boqvist becomes the player I think he is capable of, he may find himself in the nhl after 2 seasons and dobson might not be any different.

Fwiw hughes is my guy outside of dahlin however.

Reactions: Petes2424

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is interesting because you have lumped him into a 3 year possible time frame before he is in the nhl. I dont know if those threads exist since the switch over of hfboards but i heard the same thing and got into the same arguments about petersson in his draft year. People said he was 3 years away.

Predicting the future is very difficult, projections are part of scouting but things like "so and so is this far away" i just dont personally subscribe to. Dobson is very raw in some area's himself but has nhl size going for him. Boqvist is also one of the youngest draft eligible players, which to me is a good thing. You have to be patient drafting, good players will find a way into the nhl soon enough if they are good players and do well, the problem before imo was the red wings model overcooking prospects, and now we realize good players can play in the nhl at 18-19. If boqvist becomes the player I think he is capable of, he may find himself in the nhl after 2 seasons and dobson might not be any different.

Fwiw hughes is my guy outside of dahlin however.

It is a crap shoot (in some ways) when it comes to how long it takes a player to reach his potential. You have a player like Quinn, although he probably spends another year at Michigan, can play in the NHL today with some success. He’s a very unique player though.

Boqvist will more than likely develop more in the Cholowski mold. Needs a lot of physical maturity and that takes time. A lot will depend on when Boqvist comes over to play too.

So absolutely every player is different but in drafting terms, just can’t see a team drafting Boqvist over Dobson when he has more development questions compared to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Boqvist was playing in the Canadian juniors, the Canadian media wouldn’t have him dropping as much as they’ve done so thus far. Same thing they did to Liljegren, and Boqvist has done better this season than Liljegren did in his draft season. I also love how it’s now commonplace to state Boqvist can’t defend because TSN draft expert Button cherry-picked certain shifts where he didn’t like Boqvist’s defensive intensity. Dumb. And the fans don’t push back on how questionable it is. Doesn’t make sense to me.

I have a feeling they are going to be reaching for excuses in a year for the low ranking.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
For me it is Boqvist and it is not close. Sure Dobson is a more safe bet, and there is alot of risk in Boqvist. But when it comes to tools and ceiling than Boqvist is on another level than Dobson, the question is only if he will reach it. I would either way not take Dobson in top 10. I think he is very overrated, when i watch him, he looks solid yes, even if little bit stiff, but nothing in his game stands out. Maybe not popular to say and people here tend to not handle unpopular opinions very well.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Yes Boqvist has flashier mittens, elusive quick skating and a rocket of a wrister but at the same time he is smaller, plays worse defensively and less consistent. Dobson can play any role you ask of him, shutdown, Socring, joining the rush, PP, PK.... You say he does it, the kid has a wicked plethora of shots for a D-man, he has more than Elite skating abilities for his size as well as position, he can consistently score in many different ways and is one of the best defensive minded Defencemen in the draft.

This is Dobson.. Tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if he where to go 3rd(he could potentially had gone 2nd if a non-Carolina team got it), the kid looks like a future Elite all around Defence-men and is one of the best Undrafted Defensive prospects(behind Dahlin) that I have probably seen since Ekblad. Mark my words he’s the first Defence-men off the board.

That pretty well sums i!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad