Do you want this team to make the playoffs this year?

Do you want the Wild to make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Depends, but that's what Fenton is looking for in a trade.
The Athletic said:
So, what you’re saying is, this next month could really help shape where this organization goes in the near- and long-term?
You’ve got to still let this sort itself out. If we’re in it, then my plans are going in a different direction. If we’re not, then we’ll build for the future.
Just Fenton blowing smoke then?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the format for selling guys like Staal at the deadline is pretty well established. Buyers aren't usually looking to lose pieces off the roster.

Not good pieces, buyers are always looking to dump dead weight/cap from their rosters though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not good pieces, buyers are always looking to dump dead weight/cap from their rosters though.
Well yeah, though Staal's cap hit is low enough that any team acquiring him shouldn't have to squeeze too hard. Obviously dead weight shouldn't be the main piece coming back for Staal regardless, but... well, I've already ranted enough about the Nino trade today.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm curious to see if Koivu is actually a Ewing Theory guy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well yeah, though Staal's cap hit is low enough that any team acquiring him shouldn't have to squeeze too hard. Obviously dead weight shouldn't be the main piece coming back for Staal regardless, but... well, I've already ranted enough about the Nino trade today.
Staal's cap hit is so small that if worst comes to worst then we can retain the max, as long as we get value back, but I see no way that the Wild would have to take bad cap back in a Staal deal, unless the team sending the cap makes it REALLY worth our while. We've seen, both with the Nino and Scandella/Poms deals, how tough it is to move bad, or even mediocre, salary.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
They'd get their arses kicked in the postseason. They couldn't win a puck battle against the Oilers.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Yes. It would be like that movie Miracle, except with everyone on the Wild played by Jeff Daniels shitting. And also a different ending. But otherwise the same thing.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
how does a team improve standing still? miss the playoffs & hopefully draft some talent. its not a guarantee but you have better odds of picking a good player higher than lower. sooner or later you get lucky. if CF hadn't "gone 4 it" year after year we'd probably have some decent talent ready to produce. ps not to mention he'd still be gm!

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I can't understand how a majority of fans here voted "NO" … I'm looking at the responses and I'm still confused on this. Playoff hockey is highly entertaining. It's the best hockey in the world. There's no substitute for watching your favorite team battle for the Cup.

Change for the sake of change mostly. It's worked so well for the Nino/Rask trade so far.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
how does a team improve standing still? miss the playoffs & hopefully draft some talent. its not a guarantee but you have better odds of picking a good player higher than lower. sooner or later you get lucky. if CF hadn't "gone 4 it" year after year we'd probably have some decent talent ready to produce.

GMCF only "went for it" 2 of the years he was here with the Pommer/Hanzal trades. He did spend 2nds in trades, but that is normal for Playoff teams.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I can't understand how a majority of fans here voted "NO" … I'm looking at the responses and I'm still confused on this. Playoff hockey is highly entertaining. It's the best hockey in the world. There's no substitute for watching your favorite team battle for the Cup.

Did you watch the Jets series or even the blues series the year before? Nothing entertaining about either series......unless you were a Blues or Jets fan.

Reactions: 63firebird

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Did you watch the Jets series or even the blues series the year before? Nothing entertaining about either series......unless you were a Blues or Jets fan.

The Wild outplayed the Blues and they were entertaining games. The Jets whopped them and the Wild looked like they gave up after Parise was injured.

Reactions: TaLoN

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

Yeah. No matter what the odds are the series starts 0-0. Sorry, I can never agree that no hockey is better. Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to take in both '81 and '91 Cup runs that I know that any team always has a punchers chance.

Reactions: WolvesFanSudbury

Wabit

May 23, 2016
cough moulson 2-2nds cough stewart 2 - 2nds. thats just off the top of my head.

Stewie was 1 x 2nd. Moulson+McCormick (and dumped a year+ of Torrey Mitchell) for 2 x 2nds (one of them was the return for Seto).

The Tuch bribe hurt more for me because he was something solid as a player.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Do you really think that this team will be "battling for the Cup"? It is a shadow of itself from two years ago, and even then we didn't get past the first round. The point of missing the playoffs is not because that is an end in itself, but because it will enable us to get a better prospect pool starting this summer, which will make us better in the long term.

If there was ever a time to delay gratification, it is now. This team will get destroyed in the first round, unless Dubnyk stands on his head, in which case it will only get pummeled.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Wild outplayed the Blues and they were entertaining games. The Jets whopped them and the Wild looked like they gave up after Parise was injured.
Yup, Wild outplayed the Blues, but were just stoned by the Blues goalies. I also think Yeo outcoached BB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad