Do you want this team to make the playoffs this year?

Do you want the Wild to make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do you really think that this team will be "battling for the Cup"? It is a shadow of itself from two years ago, and even then we didn't get past the first round. The point of missing the playoffs is not because that is an end in itself, but because it will enable us to get a better prospect pool starting this summer, which will make us better in the long term.

If there was ever a time to delay gratification, it is now. This team will get destroyed in the first round, unless Dubnyk stands on his head, in which case it will only get pummeled.

I don't agree with that, on the caveat that Dumba comes back and is decent, and they add a 2C (Hayes is the guy I'd be looking at as a rental) at the TDL.

Even as they are I think they can play even with NSH. The Jets are not as good this year, and Helli has come back down to earth in net for them.

Plus we have Kunin who will take out someone on the other team. :sarcasm: (yes, they were fluke plays but he has Big Buf and MacKinnon a notches in his belt this year) :popcorn:

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Yeah. No matter what the odds are the series starts 0-0. Sorry, I can never agree that no hockey is better. Maybe it's because I was fortunate enough to take in both '81 and '91 Cup runs that I know that any team always has a punchers chance.

As the wise Ricky Bobby once said, "If you ain't first, you're last".

Wabit

May 23, 2016
As the wise Ricky Bobby once said, "If you ain't first, you're last".

Hid dad about that quote: "I was high when I said that! That makes no sense at all! I mean, you could be second, third, fourth-- hell, you could even be fifth!"

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Maybe that's the problem with this team, they've been taking advice from Ricky Bobby.

14e55fd92654a947805cd77da525e0dc--fitness-memes-gym-memes.jpg

Reactions: a79krgm

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't agree with that, on the caveat that Dumba comes back and is decent, and they add a 2C (Hayes is the guy I'd be looking at as a rental) at the TDL.

Even as they are I think they can play even with NSH. The Jets are not as good this year, and Helli has come back down to earth in net for them.

Plus we have Kunin who will take out someone on the other team. :sarcasm: (yes, they were fluke plays but he has Big Buf and MacKinnon a notches in his belt this year) :popcorn:
I am actually speechless at this.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I am actually speechless at this.

You think NSH is that much better of a team? Jets haven't been near as dominant as last year.

They are both the same blah as the Wild are, just didn't have the bad Dec the Wild did.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You think NSH is that much better of a team? Jets haven't been near as dominant as last year.

They are both the same blah as the Wild are, just didn't have the bad Dec the Wild did.

NSH is better than us but we surprisingly play them really well. EDM seems to have our number this year and i would hate to see them in the playoffs just because of that. with a weak west i dont see that as a huge issue but i cant see this team beating anyone in the East. making the finals would be sweet but i just dont see that happening even in the weak west.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
NSH is better than us but we surprisingly play them really well. EDM seems to have our number this year and i would hate to see them in the playoffs just because of that. with a weak west i dont see that as a huge issue but i cant see this team beating anyone in the East. making the finals would be sweet but i just dont see that happening even in the weak west.

I think part of the EDM games was just luck of the draw and them catching MN at really bad times. Plus, I don't see them making up enough ground to pass all the teams in front of them for a WC spot.

Vancouver still hanging around is what surprises me.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think part of the EDM games was just luck of the draw and them catching MN at really bad times. Plus, I don't see them making up enough ground to pass all the teams in front of them for a WC spot.

Vancouver still hanging around is what surprises me.

i dont see us going anywhere deep with staal at our 1C. i hate his 200 foot game because it rarely is 200 feet. we need to be selling at the TDL not trying to possibly make it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I wouldn't be mad if they made it, but they shouldn't make it at the expense of maximizing value for next season. Rushing Dumba back would be reckless. If you can't get at least a 2nd for Staal, then I can see the logic in holding on. But we have some time until the deadline. If the only teams the Wild can beat are New Jersey without its two best players and Philadelphia on a back-to-back, then the reality is that the Wild should be re-tooling. And maybe that means trading Zucker for Puljujärvi, shutting Suter down, getting Stalock some starts, and aiming for a higher pick with the aim of adding another impact center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
i dont see us going anywhere deep with staal at our 1C. i hate his 200 foot game because it rarely is 200 feet. we need to be selling at the TDL not trying to possibly make it.

I don't like Staal's 200' game either, but he does step it up for the Playoffs. I do think there are options out there to pick up a defensive/200' 2C without selling the farm.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I wouldn't be mad if they made it, but they shouldn't make it at the expense of maximizing value for next season. Rushing Dumba back would be reckless. If you can't get at least a 2nd for Staal, then I can see the logic in holding on. But we have some time until the deadline. If the only teams the Wild can beat are New Jersey without its two best players and Philadelphia on a back-to-back, then the reality is that the Wild should be re-tooling. And maybe that means trading Zucker for Puljujärvi, shutting Suter down, getting Stalock some starts, and aiming for a higher pick with the aim of adding another impact center.
You’re right they haven’t beaten Tampa,Winnipeg, Toronto,Vegas this year.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You’re right they haven’t beaten Tampa,Winnipeg, Toronto,Vegas this year.

Not sure why you quoted my post but any NHL team can beat any other one. That's why I like having my team in the playoffs. But the reality is best of 7 is completely different and this version of the Wild would be heavy underdogs against any of those four, plus Nashville and also against Calgary, Colorado, San Jose and even St. Louis or Edmonton. Could they upset a team and make a deep run? Sure. But when you're running a multi-million dollar enterprise you have to prioritize odds and strategy, not the coaching brilliance of Emilio Estevez.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't like Staal's 200' game either, but he does step it up for the Playoffs. I do think there are options out there to pick up a defensive/200' 2C without selling the farm.

i dont really want a defensive 2C, i want staal to be 2C as thats more of the sheltered offensive role, get a strong 1C with good offensive skills and good 2way game. a koivu with better offense and i would trade the farm to get him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
i dont really want a defensive 2C, i want staal to be 2C as thats more of the sheltered offensive role, get a strong 1C with good offensive skills and good 2way game. a koivu with better offense and i would trade the farm to get him.

Umm you missed your chance. ROR was traded last summer.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We'll see. We all have high hopes for him, but they've been sitting him down in Iowa, which is never a good sign. I don't know if it's effort, youth, lack of talent, or an inability to understand and fix his flaws that is standing in his way.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not sure why you quoted my post but any NHL team can beat any other one. That's why I like having my team in the playoffs. But the reality is best of 7 is completely different and this version of the Wild would be heavy underdogs against any of those four, plus Nashville and also against Calgary, Colorado, San Jose and even St. Louis or Edmonton. Could they upset a team and make a deep run? Sure. But when you're running a multi-million dollar enterprise you have to prioritize odds and strategy, not the coaching brilliance of Emilio Estevez.

Making the Playoffs and making that extra money per home game is a big part of that business. Underdog or not, that's at least 2 home games per Playoffs.

I'll take the punchers chance in a 7 game series over 82 games of hoping to lose so we can get the best draft pick.

What's worse finishing 1p into the Playoffs and picking 15th after a 1st round sweep or finishing with the 10-14oa picks? That's where the Wild will finish if they sell off everything they can with 10-14th worst record.

Tanking this year isn't going to be that easy. Look at the Ducks, they've lost 19 of 21 and still aren't bottom-3 in the league. It's bizarro world right now where it's easier to gain ground in the standing than it is to lose ground.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
We'll see. We all have high hopes for him, the they've been sitting him down in Iowa, which is never a good sign. I don't know if it's effort, youth, lack of talent, or an inability to understand and fix his flaws that is standing in his way.

I don't think it's lack of talent. No toolbox maybe, but the kid has some offensive tools.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
We'll see. We all have high hopes for him, the they've been sitting him down in Iowa, which is never a good sign. I don't know if it's effort, youth, lack of talent, or an inability to understand and fix his flaws that is standing in his way.
Got a wicked shot, can skate well enough for the nhl, Smart in the offensive zone, terrible defensively , a comeplete liability when he was in Sudbury to the point of being benched by our coach Corey Stillman cause of it. Best offensive player ive seen in Sudbury for awhile tho

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Got a wicked shot, can skate well enough for the nhl, Smart in the offensive zone, terrible defensively , a comeplete liability when he was in Sudbury to the point of being benched by our coach Corey Stillman cause of it. Best offensive player ive seen in Sudbury for awhile tho
Yeah, that won't work for the Wild. i also hear things about his lack of conditioning...I wonder if he can't play a two way game just because he isn't in good enough shape? sure could use a shooter on the PP, but i don't know of an NHL team that has ever had a roster spot taken up by a guy who only plays the PP.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I do wonder how much this waiting game until the TDL is messing with the players? Staal has said it affects him, and Brodin said the same thing years ago when he was on the block.

Looking at trading the important players for draft picks/prospects isn't something many of these guys have been through in a season. It's been: roll with what we have or add someone to make us better.

Lots of the players are starting or making their families bigger, new babies either born or on the way. Now maybe there is a chance they'll have to uproot their lives and move to some other city, or just keep in touch though video calls, and they have no control over it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, that won't work for the Wild. i also hear things about his lack of conditioning...I wonder if he can't play a two way game just because he isn't in good enough shape? sure could use a shooter on the PP, but i don't know of an NHL team that has ever had a roster spot taken up by a guy who only plays the PP.

Well we carried around Pokemon for a few games to basically do just that.

It's probably better use of a skater slot than playing a goon so he can get his face punching in and end up with that 5 mins in the box be higher time than his on ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->