Do you want this team to make the playoffs this year?

Do you want the Wild to make the playoffs?

• Total voters

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Except it's the same rationale for trading them right now.

How so? I either want the Wild to buy and go for it because they think the players are good enough. Or sell the the players because they think they aren't good enough. I don't care if they all walk for nothing and there is 2 Playoff runs in the deal.

Paying a large amount of money and likely term to these guys and then trying to sell is the worst option.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How so? I either want the Wild to buy and go for it because they think the players are good enough. Or sell the the players because they think they aren't good enough. I don't care if they all walk for nothing and there is 2 Playoff runs in the deal.

Paying a large amount of money and likely term to these guys and then trying to sell is the worst option.

I'm not so sure that it is, but it all depends on what "large amount of money and likely term" ends up being.

Edit: if Granlund gets $8 x 6 and Spurgeon gets $6 x 6, I think they are both very moveable contracts throughout their duration, especially the first half.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not so sure that it is, but it all depends on what "large amount of money and likely term" ends up being.

Try selling Zucker now as compared to over the summer, or Nino when he was a RFA compared to getting Rask.

All three of the rental+1 players are due a raise and this is the time for they to get more than 3 year deals. The bigger the contract and longer the term the harder it is to trade. 5-7 year deals is what the market has been for the good players hitting their 1st UFA contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Try selling Zucker now as compared to over the summer, or Nino when he was a RFA compared to getting Rask.

All three of the rental+1 players are due a raise and this is the time for they to get more than 3 year deals. The bigger the contract and longer the term the harder it is to trade. 5-7 year deals is what the market has been for the good players hitting their 1st UFA contract.

The difficulty of moving Zucker or Nino isn't their contracts, it's their performances under their contracts.

Call it blind optimism if you want, but I don't think Granlund and Spurgeon are going to have the same issues.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
No more needs to be said. Boudreau should ease every doubters troubled mind with this prediction … :)

"I can tell you right now. I'm not Joe Namath, but we're going to make the playoffs. And we're going to be somebody hard to deal with...I'm making that prediction right now."

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
No more needs to be said. Boudreau should ease every doubters troubled mind with this prediction … :)

"I can tell you right now. I'm not Joe Namath, but we're going to make the playoffs. And we're going to be somebody hard to deal with...I'm making that prediction right now."

so early first round exit, lose in 5? gotcha.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Is he talking the Wild or the team he's traded to at the TDL? :sarcasm:

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BB is getting desperate and using every trick he can to spark these guys. Don't think it will work.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
BB is getting desperate and using every trick he can to spark these guys. Don't think it will work.

Wild are in the 8th spot and nobody below them wants to make the playoffs either so Wild may get in by default

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild are in the 8th spot and nobody below them wants to make the playoffs either so Wild may get in by default
Yes, I'm afraid of that. CO is atrocious right now. At least, when we had Mikko, and the possibility of Dumba coming back, we had a puncher's chance of winning a series in the playoffs, but I just don't see it now.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Yes, I'm afraid of that. CO is atrocious right now. At least, when we had Mikko, and the possibility of Dumba coming back, we had a puncher's chance of winning a series in the playoffs, but I just don't see it now.

The only teams I think could pass the Wild are, Vancouver, Colorado and Chicago. I dont think Vancouver will and I think Chicago comes back to earth here soon. So it Will be Colorado or Wild for the final spot. I think St.Louis finishes 3rd in division. Wild/Dallas/Colorado willcompete for last 2 spots

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don’t know why people are making such a big deal out of this. Is it really that bold of a statement for a coach of a team that’s in a playoff position to predict the team will make the playoffs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's going to be a crazy end to the season with 4 teams in contention for the 2nd WC spot. AZ, CHI*, COL, MN. (Dallas could still fall out of WC spot, but they would have to fall apart their last 8 games)

AZ (78p): 8 games left, 1 game against each of Col, CHI, MN, 6 games against Playoff (or close) teams, 32 ROW**.
CHI (74p): 9 games left, 2 games against Col and 1 game against AZ, 8 games against Playoff (or close) teams, 30 ROW.
COL (78p): 8 games left, 2 games against Chi and 1 game against AZ, 7 games against Playoff (or close) teams, 32 ROW.
MN (79p): 7 games left, 1 game against AZ, 7 games against Playoff (or close) teams, 34 ROW.

*longer shot for CHI, but they have 2 games in hand and their next 3 games are Col (home-and-home, back-to-back) and AZ. They could play the spoiler team this year.
** ROW is the 1st tiebreaker. Wild need to win on this tiebreaker (if needed); their head-to-head record (2nd tie breaker), and season +/- (3rd tiebreaker) will knock them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->