Do you want Ranger to return next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think we're better keeping Ranger. A pairing involving Ranger - Robidas would be an excellent third pairing solution. Holzer as the #7 will give us defensive depth and make us a lot stronger in our own zone.

If the Leafs already have:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Franson/Granberg - Robidas

I think the Leafs need to find someone for the last pair, but Finn, Percy, Granberg and Franson all still have a good shot at the last defensive position. (some more than others) Signing Ranger as a solid #7 is a smart move.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Ranger - Robidas

7th: Granberg

GTFO Franson

Why wouldn't you rather have Granberg developing with the Marlies, playing top minutes on a young team?

Franson will most likely be traded. The Leafs have to see what his arbitration number will be.

Ranger is a solid #7. I don't think they want him any more than that.

1 year - $1mill. Plain and simple.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
tumblr_n791cgYK941sajjsko1_500.gif

naw man.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I really like Ranger and I hope they bring him back. He seemed to have a good balance of offensive and defensive abilities.

Whatever his price is, it's probably a very good value.

If we sign him, then i'm very happy with our 6 defenders.

We should just sign Ranger and use the rest of our cap space for a rental player at the deadline and try and win the cup this year.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I really like Ranger and I hope they bring him back. He seemed to have a good balance of offensive and defensive abilities.

Whatever his price is, it's probably a very good value.

If we sign him, then i'm very happy with our 6 defenders.

We should just sign Ranger and use the rest of our cap space for a rental player at the deadline and try and win the cup this year.

:laugh:

your optimism amuses me.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Our current roster plus another defender (in place of Franson), ideally Ranger... plus a rental player at the deadline... I think we can win the east... then it's just a question of wheather or not your believe in miracles?

You clearly do believe in miracles if you think this team is a rental player away from winning the east.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
It would be nice if Ranger could rock a 2 way, would be a no brainer at that point. The guy needs to stay in Toronto so why not ask?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I would like to bring him back in the number 6 hole. Assuming Franson I gone, an I hope he is, that would leave Percy and Granberg as the first 2 coming in for injuries.

Jake Gardiner - Dion Phaneuf
Morgan Rielly - Stephane Robidas
Paul Ranger - Roman Polak
Stuart Percy - Petter Granberg

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Yes. Bring him back.

I knew he would be pretty bad to start the season. It was expected. A guy that hadn't played in the NHL for years.

Towards the end of the season, he really started to get his game together. That game in Anaheim he was the best d-man on the ice for the leafs. If he wants back in for say 3m over 2 seasons, I'd pull the trigger on that deal.

Play him in place of Franson, at say no more than 18 minutes a game, you'll watch our GA drop. He was already good enough to be a top 4 on Tampa, worst case scenario he's a good bottom pairing guy for us.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Very effective in his role once he got up to NHL speed. Would gladly have him back at the right price and term.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I liked him in Tampa, wasn't a fan of how the Leafs used him or who they partnered him with...but it's hard to get past the fact that he was trying to come back after years away from the league as well. extremely difficult task.

he could still fill a role for us. It depends if they're going to do anything on D before camp, if they bring in anyone else then probably not.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Ranger was lucky for the first third of the season and effective in the last third. I've said I'd like him back as a #7 so that we won't get stuck with a struggling prospect in our Top 6. Also creates good competition. With the changes to our defense this offseason, I'm not sure this is necessary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tough one. He isn't committed to the NHL, so perhaps they should sign him to the Marlies for a decent amount.

Leafs have enough prospects to play a bottom pair position, no sense in wasting a contract on someone who isn't really 100% in.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tough one. He isn't committed to the NHL, so perhaps they should sign him to the Marlies for a decent amount.

Leafs have enough prospects to play a bottom pair position, no sense in wasting a contract on someone who isn't really 100% in.

I can see the Leafs re-signing him as a depth player at around $1 mil again 1-way contract and then they could demote him to the Marlies and he would still be in Toronto earning the same amount.

A young Dman doesn't fit well as a #7 dman and sitting in the pressbox if he can play regularly in the AHL. Ranger as the depth spare player a better fit for that role.

HonestHockey*

Phaneuf Robidas
Rielly Polak
Granberg Franson
Ranger

Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig