Do you want Ranger to return next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
1.5 for 2 years.

The experiment at the beginning of the year looked like it was a lost cause. He did not look very good at all.

By the end of the year, he looked a little more settled in. He's a fine 3rd line D.

Jacob8hockey*

I don't mind Ranger in the #7 role but I prefer to have a young guy in that role to work him in. The best teams all have a rookie or two in the lineup

Ace88*

That seems like way too much to me for a guy who was a spare part for much of the year.

I'd throw him a one-year deal at around $1 million again and hope for another home-town discount. If he can do better elsewhere and wants to move on, no big loss.

It is too much, but not a gross overpayment. He took a cheap deal last year--consider it a bone thrown to a loyal dog. He doesnt want to be anywhere else and im not so sure hed want to keep playing if it had to be for another team.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Some of us posters on here just don't have a single clue about what makes a hockey player decent at the position he plays!

Some of us don't understand that there are TWO TEAMS playing AGAINST EACH OTHER!

Having said that, Ranger has value as a bottom pairing D! I just don't understand the HATE this man gets sometimes, especially when Phaneuf makes just as many MISTAKES and gets pain 6 times as much!

Yes, I'd like to see Ranger get another season with the same salary or with a very modest raise!

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Yes please, he was arguably our best d-man after the Olympics. He's got good instincts at both ends of the ice, but a lot of Leaf fans wrote him off after his poor start. I think he was the most underrated Leaf player this season

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Perfect guy to have if your team is going to dress 7 defensemen. You can still promote from within, and generally if you have defensive prospects worth promoting to the NHL you want them to play more than the #7 role.

In no particular order:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Reilly - ______
Gardiner - ______
Ranger

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Hope so. Not sure if he would want to return to the gong show. Well liked teammate and played well after the Olympics.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
No. Other than Rielly and Gardiner I could do without any dman from this past season.Would prefer a dramatic overhaul on the defence.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Yes. He's physical, mean, doesn't lose one-on-one battles. Plus he has passing skills and can provide a little bit of offense.

I expect he will sign for fairly cheap. At a low price, and for a term of 2 or 3 years (or 1 if he prefers), I'm fine with a full NMC.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
As long as he does not have to play the right side....he was lost playing on his weak side at the start of the season...at a modest raise he is a good signing....a two way contract would be great but no likely.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nope.

I'd promote from within.

The issue with this is, I think it's better to have Percy(for example) playing 25 minutes a night with the Marlies next season rather than 10-12 on the 3rd pairing.

Granberg is the only defensemen down there now that I'd expect to be penciled into any line up sheets for next year.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Not a chance. This was the worst defence in the league- Ranger was absolutely lost in his end the first half of the season. He improved but c'mon, I'd much rather have a Marlie getting valuable experience who is cheaper, controllable and just as good if those are my choices. Ideally we do a major overhaul and Ranger/Franson are no where to be found in the blue and white.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Ranger, Gardiner, Rielly, and Gunnar were the Leafs D-men who actually showed up down the stretch. Ranger was the only one very effective at both ends of the ice, I honestly don't know how some of you just think he's a #6 or 7 D-man.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He was good until that hit from Killorn or whoever if was on TB. I wouldn't mind him back, definetly better then franson

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd try to retain him. Regardless of what direction we take, he'd be excellent in a bottom pairing role. He started looking a lot more steady towards the end of the season and I could see him developing into a mid-pairing guy.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
I would love to have Paul Ranger back on the team next season. In a bottom pair role again. On the NHL market, I would value Paul Ranger at $1.75 million/yr. And that might be a conservative estimate. I wouldn't pay anything more than $1.5 million/yr for Paul though.

How did I come up with these figures? On www.hockeyprospectus.com Paul Ranger is estimated to provide 3.3 goals produced/prevented above replacement level (GVT). Replacement level = minimum wage ($550,000) AHL call-up. On a modern hockey club, $1 million (above minimum wage) is worth about 2.8 goals above replacement (goals are probably even more valuable now to buy because of the cap going up. Before when the cap was lower, it was widely accepted that $1 million was worth 3 goals above replacement). $550000 (Minimum wage) + ($1000000 * 3.3 / 2.8) is a bit short of $1.75 million.

But if you are say a Boston Bruins level team where the team has produced 204 goals above replacement (replacement level is -123 goal differential across 82 games. Boston bruins have a +87 goal differential) and assuming a $71.1 million cap for next season, then $1 million will need to buy you almost 3.6 goals above replacement. $550000 + ($1000000 * 3.6 / 3.3) is close to $1.5 million. If we want to become more like the Boston Bruins, we need to make shrewd use of cap space like they do. That means getting complimentary, supporting cast players like Paul Ranger signed to cheap deals. Leaving room to sign the superstars for the big bucks.

Much of Paul Ranger's value comes from his slap shot at the point. His goal scoring ability and creating rebound/deflection/tip opportunities from those slap shots. That's where most of his goals above replacement come from. That's not exactly an easily replaceable skill set. And that's why Paul Ranger I think could fetch $1.75 million in the NHL market place if he wanted to. Especially if an NHL team plays him as the point man on a power play. He would bag more goals and assists and his value would go up. So yeah we definitely need a guy like him on our roster. But he is a complimentary, bottom pairing player. We still want to get a good deal out of him and underpay him. Get a hometown discount out of him.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Considering he's a big stay at home player who actually wants to be in Toronto, I think he's well worth 1.75 X 2yrs, especially if the new coach can instil some confidence in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad