Do you want Ranger to return next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
53 GP 6 G 14 Points -2 +-

Final 18 Games (after long term healthy scratch) 4 G 1 A 5 Points +7

Stats over 82 GP 9 G 21 Points

He got better as the season progressed, all in all, pretty good for a guy removed from the NHL for as long he was. He unwisely came into the season weighing around 230LBS, after previously playing in Tampa at about 205-210 LBS, which is likely attributed to his lack of speed this season.

I'd hate for us to go through the growing pains with him, in his return, only for him to shows signs of finding his game, and then going to a different team.

He's got a great outlook, and leadership. I'd really like to see him return, he's the kind of humbled played you want around your youth.

Rielly Gleason
Gardiner Ranger
----- Granberg

I've made it clear for a few years now, I want Phaneuf no where near this team.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
No, unless he wants bottom-pairing money because that is all he is worth. If he wants more than that, I have no problem letting him go. We can get a better defenceman in free agency.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly I don't care much either way. He got better later in the year, but not to a level that I'd miss him if he was gone. I'm still not sure how good Ranger will honestly be down the road.

Better leave a spot open to find a more suitable upgrade on the blueline or another spot for the youth to try and claim.

And I'm not going to touch the Phaneuf debate.

mikebel111*

yes I do, at least he is physical and reliable and decent offensive game.

playing well when he finally returned

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He got his game back at the end of the year, it would be a shame to have put up with 75 percent of his bad play to lose out when he finally got his game back.

I don't have a problem with using him as a stabilizing/mentor on the bottom pairing.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't really care either way. If we can re-sign him as a cheap #7 d-man fine if not we have options on the Marlies. We have much bigger things to worry about than Ranger.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
If he's willing to take a similar 1 year deal at a million bucks I'm very happy to have him back. He's good for a # 6/7 option who still has #4/5 upside.

Ranger gives us cheap depth at that price tag and will help ensure Granberg and Percy are properly slotted as call ups out of training camp.

Granberg and Percy can still develop more in the AHL and have 2-way contracts to give us flexibility. If their play forces them into the big show then room can and will be made to make it possible.

Ship out Franson this summer.

Bring back Ranger + sign a UFA vet for the 2nd pair on a short term deal like Robidas, Mitchell, Salo.

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - UFA Vet
Rielly - Gleason
Ranger

If Granberg or Percy deserve a call up then they give us extra depth to package up in a trade or the option to one of Gunnarson, Gardiner, UFA vet or Gleason could be traded and Dmen traded in season usually net very good returns. I'm not advocating trading Gardiner but if the return is great I also have no problem dealing him. Toronto simply needs to build up depth on the blueline.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
53 GP 6 G 14 Points -2 +-

Final 18 Games (after long term healthy scratch) 4 G 1 A 5 Points +7

Stats over 82 GP 9 G 21 Points

He got better as the season progressed, all in all, pretty good for a guy removed from the NHL for as long he was. He unwisely came into the season weighing around 230LBS, after previously playing in Tampa at about 205-210 LBS, which is likely attributed to his lack of speed this season.

I'd hate for us to go through the growing pains with him, in his return, only for him to shows signs of finding his game, and then going to a different team.

He's got a great outlook, and leadership. I'd really like to see him return, he's the kind of humbled played you want around your youth.

Rielly Gleason
Gardiner Ranger
----- Granberg

I've made it clear for a few years now, I want Phaneuf no where near this team.

Gleason on the top pairing makes me sick. I am with you on the Dion comment though.
I want us to get Orpik or Niskanen from FA, trade Dion in a package for E. Kane or Kesler or just for a first round pick. Robidas would be another great guy for our young blue liners. Granberg, Gardiner, Rielly could learn a lot from them. Dion offers nothing in the way of mentoring unless you want to know how to blast a 100mph shot 5' over the net and get pushed around by 20 year olds that are 40 pounds lighter than you.

About Ranger, he is welcome to stay if its on the cheap again and he is our 6th/7th dman.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Absolutely great bottom pairing guy, who knows he may even get better. 2 million per year max for two more years.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Phanuef
Gunnarsson
Rielly
Gardiner
Gleason
Ranger
Franson

Brennan
Macwilliams
Granberg
Percy

If we sign anyone in fa or trade, I think we can safely lose two pieces (franson being an obvious one)

Signing niskanen would be a horrible move, once again giving out a contract at peak performance and over paying.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Yes i do. up to 2.5 and i welcome him back with open arms.

That seems like way too much to me for a guy who was a spare part for much of the year.

I'd throw him a one-year deal at around $1 million again and hope for another home-town discount. If he can do better elsewhere and wants to move on, no big loss.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
That seems like way too much to me for a guy who was a spare part for much of the year.

I'd throw him a one-year deal at around $1 million again and hope for another home-town discount. If he can do better elsewhere and wants to move on, no big loss.

Agreed. 2.5 is too much for what he provided this year.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Phanuef
Gunnarsson
Rielly
Gardiner
Gleason
Ranger
Franson

Brennan
Macwilliams
Granberg
Percy

If we sign anyone in fa or trade, I think we can safely lose two pieces (franson being an obvious one)

Signing niskanen would be a horrible move, once again giving out a contract at peak performance and over paying.
Our biggest problem on D if you factor in how much they cost, are the top 2 guys on your list. Our defensive struggles aren't going to change by changing 2 bottom pairing guys playing bottom pairing minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad