Do you want Ranger to return next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I can see the Leafs re-signing him as a depth player at around $1 mil again 1-way contract and then they could demote him to the Marlies and he would still be in Toronto earning the same amount.

A young Dman doesn't fit well as a #7 dman and sitting in the pressbox if he can play regularly in the AHL. Ranger as the depth spare player a better fit for that role.

I didn't mean leave a prospect on the bench or in the pressbox, more rotate them up from the minors throughout the season.

Getting 4 shifts a period isn't a lot, but it still gives them exposure to the NHL game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I didn't mean leave a prospect on the bench or in the pressbox, more rotate them up from the minors throughout the season.

Getting 4 shifts a period isn't a lot, but it still gives them exposure to the NHL game.

Agreed

I think Marlie Dmen are going to get opportunities this year as injuries or other things happen.

I was thinking however for road trips and regular press box spare that Ranger a vet would be better suited as a regular spare on the roster.

The only Marlie I could see filling the #7 dman spot is Holzer as he is no longer young and fairly developed at this point, so if he sat instead of playing it wouldn't be the end of the World. Whereas a player like Granberg would either be playing or in the AHL as it would be the best thing for his development.

Also with team leader Marlie Dman Brennan moving on Ranger would be a good replacement for him as well if he were resigned by the Leafs.. It doesn't appear Ranger really has his heart into playing anywhere but Toronto.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If he came cheap I wouldnt mind him back as a #7.

He got better towards the end of the season but still his foot speed limits his effectiveness. But he can be a good veteran leader if used as the extra man who sits in the press box most nights.
A role like that wouldnt be good for one of the kids development so imo it is best to have a vet in that role.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Honestly I don't care much either way. He got better later in the year, but not to a level that I'd miss him if he was gone. I'm still not sure how good Ranger will honestly be down the road.

Better leave a spot open to find a more suitable upgrade on the blueline or another spot for the youth to try and claim.

And I'm not going to touch the Phaneuf debate.

Correct I liked his game the last month after missing the time he did and only one year in the ahl it took him that time to elevate his game to the nhl level.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I would like him back as a 6/7th dman at $1m. While everyone last year was complaining about Ranger last year, many failed to remember that they were only paying him $1m. The Leafs, as well as other NHL teams, have higher priced dman who played far worse.

With that said, it ultimately comes down to what happens out of training camp and Franson's arbitration result. Do we end up keeping Franson, do we trade him, etc. If Franson is dealt, I could see one of Granberg/Percy/MacWilliam make the jump, rotating with the vet Ranger due to injuries. In my opinion, you want a vet d-man as the 7th d-man, as a youngster sitting in the pressbox is a waste, especially when he could be using that time to gain some valuable playing time with the Marlies. However, the Leafs to have the advantage of having the farm team in the same city, so that has to be taken in consideration I suppose.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The guy's a quality #7, doesn't ask for the moon salary wise, and apparently only wants to play in Toronto, you can bet Shanahan and company will find a way not to sign him, because everybodies lining up to play for the Leafs.

:sarcasm:

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I say we use the 6th spot to develop our youth. We are strong on D in terms of prospects and we need them to gain more experience. If Ranger is okay with sitting in the pressbox most of the time I guess it could work out. I'm worried Carlyle would just end up playing him over one of the youngsters.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
We can only sign 1 of Franson/Ranger IMO and I think Nonis does actually want to sign Franson but we'll see what happens in arbitration. I'm pretty sure they have Granberg penciled in as a guy on our 3rd pairing ready to step up so it's probably time for Ranger to move on.

leaffansince1961

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sign Ranger and give Franson another shot.....you won't get anything for him after last season.
Injuries will allow the Marlies to play and as soon as Franson shows an improvement.....move him.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If he came cheap I wouldnt mind him back as a #7.

He got better towards the end of the season but still his foot speed limits his effectiveness. But he can be a good veteran leader if used as the extra man who sits in the press box most nights.
A role like that wouldnt be good for one of the kids development so imo it is best to have a vet in that role.

His decision-making limits his effectiveness! He pushed a Bruin player right on top of Bernier and wrecked his leg -- earlier in this season he took Reimer out and laid on top of him so a Bruin could score into an open net. No thanks - unless there's a new brain to go with the package.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Time to move on and give a Marlie a shot.

If Percy is ready, he will beat Ranger out anyway. If not, you can't just ram him into the NHL.

The rest of the Marlie defensemen are right handed, so bringing them in would likely push Dion to the left side and Rielly to the 3rd pair.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He was bad. When he was on the ice, the Leafs put up even more terrible possession numbers than without. All while being put against the second lowest Quality of Competition for a defenceman (most insulated was Gardiner by a hair).

He was a penalty machine, taking 11 more than he drew. That alone probably cost us 1-3 wins.

That decision would really boil down to these things for me:

1) Those were last year's statistics, of course; how much could he improve this year?

2) What other options are available?

3) What style of defenceman are you looking to fill that in with?

I'm sure he has some room to improve, but the other options which are available from the pool of kids suit the faster, puck moving style of defencemen that play a possession game (the best form of defence) like Stuart Percy.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If the only other move we do this offseason is trade Franson and sign Ranger... I'll be very happy with how things went this off-season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He was bad. When he was on the ice, the Leafs put up even more terrible possession numbers than without. All while being put against the second lowest Quality of Competition for a defenceman (most insulated was Gardiner by a hair).

He was a penalty machine, taking 11 more than he drew. That alone probably cost us 1-3 wins.

That decision would really boil down to these things for me:

1) Those were last year's statistics, of course; how much could he improve this year?

2) What other options are available?

3) What style of defenceman are you looking to fill that in with?

I'm sure he has some room to improve, but the other options which are available from the pool of kids suit the faster, puck moving style of defencemen that play a possession game (the best form of defence) like Stuart Percy.

He had a horrible December 5 to January 4 stretch where he was a -11 with 2 points but from January 7th on he was a +8 with 6 points while the club was under .500. He could have played better but I am not sure how much more they can expect out of a third pairing guy. He may well have another gear after being away from the show for four years and then being dropped into the Randy system.

I want him on the club until someone takes the job from him. I think that can only happen side by side with Granberg or Percy where they can prove they are an actual improvement. Handing a job to a young guy like Rielly did not translate into any additional wins although it was probably good for his development. They need to select a lineup that can win today rather than needlessly burning a year of a kids ELC and I would be very happy if no Marlie D men were invited up. Someone mentioned Holzer as a #7 guy and that would be the enough for me since another year in the AHL isn't likely to be a development one for him.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
He had a horrible December 5 to January 4 stretch where he was a -11 with 2 points but from January 7th on he was a +8 with 6 points while the club was under .500. He could have played better but I am not sure how much more they can expect out of a third pairing guy. He may well have another gear after being away from the show for four years and then being dropped into the Randy system.

I want him on the club until someone takes the job from him. I think that can only happen side by side with Granberg or Percy where they can prove they are an actual improvement. Handing a job to a young guy like Rielly did not translate into any additional wins although it was probably good for his development. They need to select a lineup that can win today rather than needlessly burning a year of a kids ELC and I would be very happy if no Marlie D men were invited up. Someone mentioned Holzer as a #7 guy and that would be the enough for me since another year in the AHL isn't likely to be a development one for him.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. He did have a bad start to the season, but that was likely due to having not played in years. He definitely got better as the season went on, and went from liable, to reliable IMO. If they can sign him anywhere from 1mil over 1 year, to 3mil over 2 years I say do it. The leafs actually have some cap room right now, so signing him to that, and having the worst case scenario of burying him in the minors due to a great season by a marlies prospect is not a big deal at that price.

If a marlie player can't steal the job from Ranger, then we're still better off with Ranger in the lineup.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm all for having him in the Marlie dressing room ushering in the youth.

I liked his game when he was with the Marlies, and in stretches with the Leafs. very calm, could really use him to help make the transistion to pro smooth for the prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad