Do You Want Dave Tippett to Coach the Coyotes Next Season?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since the end of the season, Tipp has given multiple interviews talking about next year's lineup. In each one he's mentioned Domi and Duclair. He's not going anywhere.

You are correct. Don't know why everyone keeps on harping about DT, move on. I'm more interested in what kind of budget they will give DM to work with.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You are correct. Don't know why everyone keeps on harping about DT, move on. I'm more interested in what kind of budget they will give DM to work with.

I guess it makes sense for him to say these things now that the season is over.

I suppose I shouldn't have said "absolutely not" in my first post. But just because the kids make the team, doesn't mean they'll get minutes. We shall see what happens, but if the kids can stick, he can stick too.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Last years mess IMO was due to DM and ownership, not as much due to DT. I am glad that we didn't bring up Domi and Samuelsson into last season's morass.

I want to see how DT does with a younger squad this upcoming season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How bad of a start does everyone give DT before they'd fire him? I'd say below .400 by Thanksgiving.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
How bad of a start does everyone give DT before they'd fire him? I'd say below .400 by Thanksgiving.

He gets the year, so that the team, which won't be going anywhere anyway, can start fresh with new coaches and not need an interim coach.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If the Caps win Game 7 tonight, the Pro-Tippett crowd is going to have a field day.

"See how stupid Nashville is for not taking back Trotz?" "See how Nashville can't get past the 1st round without him?"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He gets the year, so that the team, which won't be going anywhere anyway, can start fresh with new coaches and not need an interim coach.

DT has said he doesn't want to go through more losing, and Newell Brown would make a top notch interim coach.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If the Caps win Game 7 tonight, the Pro-Tippett crowd is going to have a field day.

"See how stupid Nashville is for not taking back Trotz?" "See how Nashville can't get past the 1st round without him?"

I hope the Islanders win. Hoping for an Islanders/Rangers series.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm pro-DT, but I could care less about the Capitals or Nashville. Every situation is different.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I voted yes because he's not going anywhere in my opinion anyway and if he can instll a strong D first mindset in the younger players, we'll be better off for it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The only thing Trotz did in Nashville that was really stupid was suspending forwards in the series against Phoenix. That might have cost him the series. Last year Rinne was out, they miss the playoffs. This year, Webber misses time in the playoffs, which gives them little shot to beat Chicago even with the poor goal tending of Crow. The Nashville coaching change was more of a "voice in the room" change after 15 years then anything else.

Tip has been given spare parts to try and create a competitive team. Look at Hitch, he is likely gone. The Blues have consistently way under achieved in the playoffs under Hitch, and he will likely be fired for that. Tip has only over achieved or broken even with Phoenix.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The only thing Trotz did in Nashville that was really stupid was suspending forwards in the series against Phoenix. That might have cost him the series. Last year Rinne was out, they miss the playoffs. This year, Webber misses time in the playoffs, which gives them little shot to beat Chicago even with the poor goal tending of Crow. The Nashville coaching change was more of a "voice in the room" change after 15 years then anything else.

Tip has been given spare parts to try and create a competitive team. Look at Hitch, he is likely gone. The Blues have consistently way under achieved in the playoffs under Hitch, and he will likely be fired for that. Tip has only over achieved or broken even with Phoenix.

All the more reason to say that the budget is not an acceptable excuse seeing that Tippett's system is supposed to turn **** into gold always. But we find out that Tippett's coaching style has short shelf life. As far as the GM excuse goes, Tippett is just as much responsible in that area when you consider Riberio and Moss alone.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If Tippett doesn't understand he is going to have to play kids and let the develop in the NHL he should leave in the offseason. There is no reason why Maloney and him do not have this conversation before UFA or the draft even. I understand getting upset last season and wanting to play what you think would be a competitive team because you believe you should be making the playoffs. That's not happening this season, and if it does it will be like a Calgary situation, which can only happen by Tippett allowing the kids to get minutes. He either is staying in hopes to have live in AZ and be here for when the team turns around, or he decides to leave. I believe Maloney has now made it clear which direction the club is going. There are no question marks now.

Tippett is either comfortable with Maloney's plan or he is looking at all the veteran teams with coaching voids to fill.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
All the more reason to say that the budget is not an acceptable excuse seeing that Tippett's system is supposed to turn **** into gold always. But we find out that Tippett's coaching style has short shelf life. As far as the GM excuse goes, Tippett is just as much responsible in that area when you consider Riberio and Moss alone.

Do you mean the 800k we paid Moss for one year? Do you mean the partying, personal, drug problems Ribs had, and Ribs deciding to check out? Neither has anything to do with coaching. Tips system is suppose to help but he is just Tip. He would have to be Houdini to get more out of our 1/3 all washed up/, 1/3 NHL, and 1/3 AHL club this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Tippett doesn't understand he is going to have to play kids and let the develop in the NHL he should leave in the offseason. There is no reason why Maloney and him do not have this conversation before UFA or the draft even. I understand getting upset last season and wanting to play what you think would be a competitive team because you believe you should be making the playoffs. That's not happening this season, and if it does it will be like a Calgary situation, which can only happen by Tippett allowing the kids to get minutes. He either is staying in hopes to have live in AZ and be here for when the team turns around, or he decides to leave. I believe Maloney has now made it clear which direction the club is going. There are no question marks now.

Tippett is either comfortable with Maloney's plan or he is looking at all the veteran teams with coaching voids to fill.

If DM does not think Tip is the right guy or that they are on the same page when it copmes to philosophy or playing young guys, DM can just tell ownership and they can let him go. Tip will get another opportunity 10 seconds later. That new opportunity will pay him more than he is making in Phoenix, and that would relieve the Coyotes of their salary obligations. If Tip or DM are not in this together, it is an easy out for everyone. Tip will have a new gig and the Coyotes won't be paying him to sit on the beach.

I think Tip/DM/Ownership are on the same page, but I could be wrong. I didn't think they would trade Yandle, so who knows.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If DM does not think Tip is the right guy or that they are on the same page when it copmes to philosophy or playing young guys, DM can just tell ownership and they can let him go. Tip will get another opportunity 10 seconds later. That new opportunity will pay him more than he is making in Phoenix, and that would relieve the Coyotes of their salary obligations. If Tip or DM are not in this together, it is an easy out for everyone. Tip will have a new gig and the Coyotes won't be paying him to sit on the beach.

I think Tip/DM/Ownership are on the same page, but I could be wrong. I didn't think they would trade Yandle, so who knows.

My fear is that plan involves bringing in more scrap heap vets Tippett will play over the young guys. If you give him the option, we know who he'll play. Maloney has to mandate some spots for the more talented youth. I don't mean 4th line, 5 minutes per night spots either. If Domi and Duclair don't get legitimate shots to play meaningful minutes, I can see them both pulling a Turris and I can't say I'd blame them.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I hope Tippet stays
and eases rookies into the line-up
and if they need to refine their game, then off to the "A" with them to work on their game.
No need to overwhelm them.
If they are good enough they will stay.
Teenagers shouldn't be entitled!!!

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I hope Tippet stays
and eases rookies into the line-up
and if they need to refine their game, then off to the "A" with them to work on their game.
No need to overwhelm them.
If they are good enough they will stay.
Teenagers shouldn't be entitled!!!

neither should washed up geezers.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Do you mean the 800k we paid Moss for one year? Do you mean the partying, personal, drug problems Ribs had, and Ribs deciding to check out? Neither has anything to do with coaching. Tips system is suppose to help but he is just Tip. He would have to be Houdini to get more out of our 1/3 all washed up/, 1/3 NHL, and 1/3 AHL club this year.

Maloney was aware of character concerns with Ribeiro, but Tippet told him not to worry and that Ribeiro was a good guy.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We will never know the full truth of the Riberio situation.

GMDM bought him out even though Riberio was entering rehab.

Given his success in Nashville, was that the smartest decision?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad