Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
And he managed to break Bozak's team record for Takeaways.

I've seen 3 good takeaways since November.

I hope Matthews can take the heat better than Nylander.

How do we pay McDavid money ... to a guy that's not McDavid.

Something is wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Who is Matthews comparable at $11.6 million x 5 years?

That's a better contract than McDavid got due to the term .... even when considering cap growth

Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews plus a few others all signed for between 11-17% of a team’s cap-space on 5-6 year deals post ELC. Matthews is right in the middle of those guys (as he should be).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Why would Dubas come out and say Marner will be a Leaf for a long time? Why share this? Doesn’t this back him into a corner? Does he know something we don’t?

*shrug*

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I've seen 3 good takeaways since November.

I hope Matthews can take the heat better than Nylander.

How do we pay McDavid money ... to a fit that's not McDavid.

Something is wrong

You do realize McDavid has never beaten Matthew's current point/60 pace he's on this season right?

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Tavares’ deal was under market value
Nylander’s deal was market value
Matthews’ deal was market value

While he hasn’t shown that he can convince players to take discounts (Tavares did that for himself) he hasn’t overpaid any players either. So for now I don’t really feel either way but Marner’s contract is ether going to make or break his negotiation legacy

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nylander's holdout added AAV to Matthews. Matthews would have negotiated before the season.

You know Marner fleeces the team this summer.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Matthews 11.6 makes Willy's 6.9 look like peanuts.

At the end of the day I would rather not nickle and dime over star players. Drive a harder bargain with the role player guys that should be taking discounts to play with skilled players that inflate their stats.

Reactions: Menzinger

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I trust Dubas' cap management/plan a lot more. I expect some serious cap shedding to take place this summer (Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown..etc).

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Only thing I can hope is that Dubas knows something that’s about to drastically change about the make up of deals that we all don’t know.

Maybe something happening in the next CBA?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why would Dubas come out and say Marner will be a Leaf for a long time? Why share this? Doesn’t this back him into a corner? Does he know something we don’t?

*shrug*

Lebrun talked about that.

He says it's a clear message to other teams in regards to potential offer sheets.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews plus a few others all signed for between 11-17% of a team’s cap-space on 5-6 year deals post ELC. Matthews is right in the middle of those guys (as he should be).

Matthews isn't Crosby / Malkin.

Kane & Teows didn't sign those deals (they signed big THIRD deals after 3 cups).

Reactions: Al14

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

*shrug*

It does not back him into a corner. It just means that based on his knowledge of the cap and the negotiations he is fairly confident it will happen. And he probably wants to comfort fans that are a bit jittery in this town.

And if it doesn't work out it's no big deal. He doesn't have to sacrifice anything just to save face. He's not actually committed to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad