Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations? Deux

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Management has been embarassing around the trio signings to begin with, from Shanahan begging players to the media to take discounts, to getting fleeced by the Matthews camp, and the lil ol' Nylander saga.

Matthews didnt deserve more than Tavares(even on his "discount") and leaves a lot to be desired in his play the last 2 years, even with his goal totals. Coming from a guy who would have paid him 13m at the beginning of the year when he looked like he had "it" back.

I know it's the early stages of what looks like a massive salary hike for the entirety of NHL players, but it's pretty rough and for as little talking as our front office does, it feels like sometimes they talk too much.
I had a good laugh when Shanahan was asking players to play ball/nice with the cap like he and others did in Detroit... completely "misremembering" that the Detroit years happened pre NHL Salary Cap lol.

Add in Dubas who likes to hear himself talk, and acts like he's the smartest guy in the room... how could this not work for years to come ?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Aho has 62 points in 55 games and Mitch has 66 in 54. Aho is the Canes #1C. Marner should slot closer to Aho than Matthews. I would wait until Aho signs before I sign Marner. If Marner then insists on Matthews money I tell his agent to go about the league and bring me back your best offersheet. I let him walk if compensation is 4 #1s and match otherwise.
I get it but why would Dubas play hardball now when he hasn't before?

Reactions: socko

RLF

May 5, 2014
I'm just trying to figure out what would actually be good value for some. Personally I think Tavares is overpaid, maybe not today for some, but in 2-3 years when he slows down big time (not the greatest skater to begin with) that deal is going to look horrendous. Matthews I would have put at around $10.034/10.534 million AAV, but the second Tavares got $11 million AAV, I knew Matthews wouldn't except less. Marner probably could have been had for $9 million, and now I doubt he get under $10 million... Why should Marner be the only one who "sacrifices" ?

Tavares was all UFA years. You will pay more for that.

Considering when contracts were signed, will be signed. I will be off for some, but I think majority could handle the below. Just my take on things.

I would think Willy (considering he was also missing part of the season) 6X$6.25-$6.5
Matthews 5X$10 or 8X$12
Marner 7/8X$9-$9.5(for instance)

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I'm just trying to figure out what would actually be good value for some. Personally I think Tavares is overpaid, maybe not today for some, but in 2-3 years when he slows down big time (not the greatest skater to begin with) that deal is going to look horrendous. Matthews I would have put at around $10.034/10.534 million AAV, but the second Tavares got $11 million AAV, I knew Matthews wouldn't except less. Marner probably could have been had for $9 million, and now I doubt he get under $10 million... Why should Marner be the only one who "sacrifices" ?
Tavares at 11 is fine with me. It's a UFA price and he's earned it. Im sure he'll be fine in his later stages too, it's not like he's relied on speed anyways.
Nylander I would be fine with 7 million but for 8 years. 6 years should have been $5.5m-6m imo
Matthews id be fine with 12.5 million for 8 years, it's still a slight overpayment but it's much better then his current contract.
Marner, who knows. Im not expecting a win for Dubas. I just hope there's enough scraps for Kap and AJ for a long contract.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner is the last guy who is going to sacrifice. Trust me on that one. If Leafs continue to decide to play hardball with him and not give him the extra mil give away he will sit. Maybe someone will offer sheet maybe not. Either way he sits.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
naw , Dumbass actually believed he talked JT into coming here and thought he could talk the kids into taking discounts to balance out making JT the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL

he came up with his "we vs me" media campaign while low balling the kids behind the scene , it back fired and he's made himself the biggest joke in the league with only his fan club left to defend his moves
Sure looks like it's gonna be Me-lander, Me-tthews, and Me-rner ( alt I-Mitch) doesn't it? The three amegos.

Reactions: ToneDog and Al14

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Tavares was all UFA years. You will pay more for that.

Considering when contracts were signed, will be signed. I will be off for some, but I think majority could handle the below. Just my take on things.

I would think Willy (considering he was also missing part of the season) 6X$6.25-$6.5
Matthews 5X$10 or 8X$12
Marner 7/8X$9-$9.5(for instance)
All one has to do is look at Chicago with Toews and Kane, and Anaheim with Getzlaf and Perry. Paying $10+ million for players in there late 20's doesn't work out long term for the team. Odds are that by year 3 or 4, the Tavares deal will end up the same. The "Prime" range in the NHL now is 25- 30, after that it goes downhill. Heck even Crosby is starting to slow down - the NHL is a young man's game.

RLF

May 5, 2014
All one has to do is look at Chicago with Toews and Kane, and Anaheim with Getzlaf and Perry. Paying $10+ million for players in there late 20's doesn't work out long term for the team. Odds are that by year 3 or 4, the Tavares deal will end up the same. The "Prime" range in the NHL now is 25- 30, after that it goes downhill. Heck even Crosby is starting to slow down - the NHL is a young man's game.

Yes, it is trending younger, Tavares just turned 28. 60pts in 55 games -22nd overall

Kane age 30-81pts in 55games.2nd overall
Toews 30-56 in 56. 28th overall
Crosby 31-62 in 52. 18th overall
Malkin 32-55 in 50. 32 overall
Ovetchkin 33-61 in 54-19 overall

I'm not too worried about Tavares.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Yes, it is trending younger, Tavares just turned 28. 60pts in 55 games -22nd overall

Kane age 30-81pts in 55games.2nd overall
Toews 30-56 in 56. 28th overall
Crosby 31-62 in 52. 18th overall
Malkin 32-55 in 50. 32 overall
Ovetchkin 33-61 in 54-19 overall

I'm not too worried about Tavares.
LOL, using Kane was a bad example. As for the rest though... the younger guys are taking over for them.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sure looks like it's gonna be Me-lander, Me-tthews, and Me-rner ( alt I-Mitch) doesn't it? The three amegos.
Don't forget Me-avaras who mgmt desperately tried to spin as a sub comparable deal to try to get the kids to take discounts , too bad the kids didn't believe him being the 2nd highest cap hit player in the league was a sweet heart deal for the team .

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
.5 too high for Willy, 1-1.4 to high for Matthews.
1.5-1.9 total overpayment, on two top liners (one who is top 5ish by position)

Looking through the lineup is see a lot of places where 1.5-1.9 million was spent less efficiently.

Like I said. By no means a win, and that sucks. But also nowhere near the market re-defining hugely anomalous loss people are spouting
And now Marner will get 1- 1.5 mil extra which equals 3- 3.5 million = Johnsson or Kappy.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Don't forget Me-avaras who mgmt desperately tried to spin as a sub comparable deal to try to get the kids to take discounts , too bad the kids didn't believe him being the 2nd highest cap hit player in the league was a sweet heart deal for the team .
LOL, yet another hilarious thing during the Shanahan and Dubas era, not only did they spin, but a lot of media and fans bought that Tavares took a "discount" - $31.8 million in less than 14 months isn't much of a discount.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Matthews and Nylander could make Dubas look good if they decided to show up and play, but alas they're too busy day dreaming about the expensive cars they might be able to buy with their new found millions.

Reactions: Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fact- Wives Matter.
There could not be more of a truism then that one. And all of us know it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably still single. Guys generally don't want to be sleeping in a guest bedroom or worse yet the coach. And they don't want to hear every day it is freakin cold here in Toronto. I couldn't even imagine Stammers wife and mom here for more than a weekend. F*ck they were chewing him up at the fathers day game at ACC and that was before they were even married. I hope we have heated seats in the limo ride to Niagara. And where da hell do we pick up this damn limo anyways. Text Stammer. Why da hell has he not got back to you. You have not trained him yet. OMG it was ridiculous. This was in 1st period alone.

Reactions: dsred

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Marner is the last guy who is going to sacrifice. Trust me on that one. If Leafs continue to decide to play hardball with him and not give him the extra mil give away he will sit. Maybe someone will offer sheet maybe not. Either way he sits.
Oh I agree. But what does "the extra mil" bring the expected AAV to? 10? 11? 12?

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Me-vares fits better in your scenario. I just don't agree he's overpaid.

Reactions: hotpaws

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
LOL, yet another hilarious thing during the Shanahan and Dubas era, not only did they spin, but a lot of media and fans bought that Tavares took a "discount" - $31.8 million in less than 14 months isn't much of a discount.
You know what though Rags....can I call you Rags? I couldn't care less what these players make. I only care what happens with the cap.

No cap, no problem with any of this. I'm all in. MLSE has the money. Buy me a team. I think 99% of fans would feel the same.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews and Nylander could make Dubas look good if they decided to show up and play, but alas they're too busy day dreaming about the expensive cars they might be able to buy with their new found millions.
Exactly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad