Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations? Deux

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I found this clip from Nylander interesting. This was right after he signed his deal.

Note what Nylander says at @2:25

with 40 minutes left Nylander told his agent "lets call them".

This tells me that Dubas put his final offer, one that works for the team, on the table for Nylander to take it or leave it.

I think Dubas knows the parameters he has to work with. He showed flexibility on the terms, but he signed Nylander and Matthews at reasonable cap hits.

5 years is a long time to worry about it. Cap will go up. Players will be traded. After signing Mitch and hopefully Kapanen and Johnsson we are good for a few years to come. The only problem would be if players didnt live up to their contracts (ahem Zaitsev). But otherwise there is lots of time to manage the cap from then on.

Dubas is doing fine.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
The AAV is fine for both of them if they had extra term on the contract. There is just no disputing that. It's like Dubas knows he's not going to around in 5 or 6 years so he screw it, it won't be my problem then, let the next GM take care of my mess.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The AAV is fine for both of them if they had extra term on the contract. There is just no disputing that. It's like Dubas knows he's not going to around in 5 or 6 years so he screw it, it won't be my problem then, let the next GM take care of my mess.
true architects build things to last the test of time, junior's doing the exact opposite.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Another angle we havent really considered, what if 5 years is injury insurance? If Matthews shoulder keeps giving him problems, he may be half the player he is now in year 5. Wouldnt be the first time a player is broken down by injuries and the team is on the hook for the rest of the contract; M. Richards, R. DiPietro, etc.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Another angle we havent really considered, what if 5 years is injury insurance? If Matthews shoulder keeps giving him problems, he may be half the player he is now in year 5. Wouldnt be the first time a player is broken down by injuries and the team is on the hook for the rest of the contract; M. Richards, R. DiPietro, etc.
Ok that's fine, lower his AAV to market value. 11 to 12% seems fair, more then Stamkos got... $9.5-$10m/5. Either way Dubas f***ed up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
his salary would be off the cap if he's hurt, but his shoulder's are somewhat concerning.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think Dubas knows the parameters he has to work with. He showed flexibility on the terms, but he signed Nylander and Matthews at reasonable cap hits.

5 years is a long time to worry about it. Cap will go up. Players will be traded. After signing Mitch and hopefully Kapanen and Johnsson we are good for a few years to come. The only problem would be if players didnt live up to their contracts (ahem Zaitsev). But otherwise there is lots of time to manage the cap from then on.

Dubas is doing fine.

If you keep saying Dubas is doing well maybe you will eventually believe it.

Overpaying RFAs isn't a proven recipe for team building.

Matthews better bring his game to another level in the playoffs. And Nylander needs to be moved for a better D. He showed he's not a guy you build a team around. For many reasons.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Not like this at all lol

More like he has a salary range for all of them to fit into and he's giving up term to get them to fit into the range.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
I don't worry about it.
He said he would keep the big 3.
He is 2/3 of the way there.
It is not my money.
I am happy that the management group knows what they are doing and pretty sure the Leafs will be an awesome team for a long time.
I do think all this contract stuff is a distraction to a few players and the sooner it is on a steady path the better.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't worry about it.
It is not my money.
I am happy that the management group knows what they are doing and pretty sure the Leafs will be an awesome team for a long time.
I do think all this contract stuff is a distraction to a few players and the sooner it is on a steady path the better.

And to this board. Worst case is they have a terminal cap issue that they can't work around so they trade someone. I have more faith in Dubas as a trader than a signer so that could still be a win for the club. Nothing to stress over, although I will join the dog pile on Dubas for the Marner deal when it happens:laugh:

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I found this clip from Nylander interesting. This was right after he signed his deal.

Note what Nylander says at @2:25

with 40 minutes left Nylander told his agent "lets call them".

This tells me that Dubas put his final offer, one that works for the team, on the table for Nylander to take it or leave it.

Dubas is doing fine.

So the Nylander camp holds firm and Dubas gives one last offer in the final hours and you spin that as "take it or leave it"?

Try we blinked. Period. Can't believe how we can't just accept that Nylander's camp got it all, pretty much the rest of the league sees it clear as day.

Anyways, when we have to trade people it will all become evident this isn't going to work long term. The math doesn't work, and that's reality in a hard cap world.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
So the Nylander camp holds firm and Dubas gives one last offer in the final hours and you spin that as "take it or leave it"?

Try we blinked. Period. Can't believe how we can't just accept that Nylander's camp got it all, pretty much the rest of the league sees it clear as day.

Anyways, when we have to trade people it will all become evident this isn't going to work long term. The math doesn't work, and that's reality in a hard cap world.
Put your Ouiga board away...To try and convince others you know what is going to happen is ridiculous. Even when a team wins the Cup,they have to restructure their players...It's a moving target ,the salary cap is always an unknown,player comparisons are always debatable .i think Kyle has done a wicked job so far.
I put the question to you...When was the last time the Leafs were looking this bloody good?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

how long did you expect Dubas to hold out for? would you have been happier if Nylander wasn't on the team this year?

but yes, it's completely expected and reasonable that the team will move out depth pieces to keep the core together. that's not a problem

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don't worry about it.
It is not my money.

You give that contract to Matthews for 8 years not 5. It's a rip off, after 5 years he would want 15 mil. GL with this Dumbass as GM. Oh and the one last thing if this keeps happening Leafs sure will be an awesome team like it has been for over 50 years now.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Really wish we signed everyone last summer but Dubas wasn’t very smart and said we are in no rush. Fast forward to now and the players he was in no rush to sign are all playing great and are going to make a ton more then what we could have signed them for. Probably could have got Marner for 9x6-8 years and Matthews 11x6-8 years.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Really wish we signed everyone last summer but Dubas wasn’t very smart and said we are in no rush. Fast forward to now and the players he was in no rush to sign are all playing great and are going to make a ton more then what we could have signed them for. Probably could have got Marner for 9x6-8 years and Matthews 11x6-8 years.

Sure, whatever you say. It’s nice to such knowledgeable insiders on this site

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I think Dubas & Co have a better understanding and more information on salary cap growth over a long term timeframe than ANYONE else arguing about it here.

All of us are arguing from the outside with less facts than they have.

Gambling, expansion, new US television deal plus regular organic growth all have long term effects on revenue but it seems like most people think of the cap number as static. It's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad