Salary Cap: Do you trust Kyle Dubas with salary negotiations? Deux

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Me-vares fits better in your scenario. I just don't agree he's overpaid.
i like your version better , lol

The contract was what was needed to get him to come here as a ufa , ufa's in general get paid more than there worth due to the ability to shop themselves to the entire league .

So while i don't have much of a problem with what he's getting paid i find it ridiculous the team tried to sell a ufa deal as a discount to rfa's in order to get them to take sub market deals since i believe there's a huge difference between not taking the highest offer out of 31 teams and taking less than your comparable's .

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There could not be more of a truism then that one. And all of us know it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably still single. Guys generally don't want to be sleeping in a guest bedroom or worse yet the coach. And they don't want to hear every day it is freakin cold here in Toronto. I couldn't even imagine Stammers wife and mom here for more than a weekend. F*ck they were chewing him up at the fathers day game at ACC and that was before they were even married. I hope we have heated seats in the limo ride to Niagara. And where da hell do we pick up this damn limo anyways. Text Stammer. Why da hell has he not got back to you. You have not trained him yet. OMG it was ridiculous. This was in 1st period alone.
Don't get me wrong, I've never been a fan of "happy wife, happy life". I hate when guys say that. But between mature adults your wife's feelings are definitely a big consideration.

Doesn't sound like the people in your example were mature adults.

Choose wisely my friends.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
There could not be more of a truism then that one. And all of us know it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably still single. Guys generally don't want to be sleeping in a guest bedroom or worse yet the coach. And they don't want to hear every day it is freakin cold here in Toronto. I couldn't even imagine Stammers wife and mom here for more than a weekend. F*ck they were chewing him up at the fathers day game at ACC and that was before they were even married. I hope we have heated seats in the limo ride to Niagara. And where da hell do we pick up this damn limo anyways. Text Stammer. Why da hell has he not got back to you. You have not trained him yet. OMG it was ridiculous. This was in 1st period alone.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as my wife's pretty chill.

Reactions: Al14 and dsred

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Don't forget Me-avaras who mgmt desperately tried to spin as a sub comparable deal to try to get the kids to take discounts , too bad the kids didn't believe him being the 2nd highest cap hit player in the league was a sweet heart deal for the team .

Tavares could have gone to the team of his choice. Leafs did not hold his rights and they had nothing invested in him. You are comparing apples and oranges.

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
I don't worry about it.
He said he would keep the big 3.
He is 2/3 of the way there.
It is not my money.
I am happy that the management group knows what they are doing and pretty sure the Leafs will be an awesome team for a long time.
I do think all this contract stuff is a distraction to a few players and the sooner it is on a steady path the better.
I hope the hell you are not calling this team awesome. Right now they are playing crap hockey. Matthews is floating around like its figure skating nylander has 2 goals in Christ knows how many games. What is it 18.6 million a year and we have a team that is reliant on just a goaltender. Because the other one is certainly not nhl caliber.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
You know what though Rags....can I call you Rags? I couldn't care less what these players make. I only care what happens with the cap.

No cap, no problem with any of this. I'm all in. MLSE has the money. Buy me a team. I think 99% of fans would feel the same.
I agree. TBH, for the most part I don't really care what anyone makes, but in cap related sports I do think you have to be smart with your "money". Kind of getting tired of having lockouts and such just to save GM's and owners from themselves.

Reactions: dsred

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Aho has 62 points in 55 games and Mitch has 66 in 54. Aho is the Canes #1C. Marner should slot closer to Aho than Matthews. I would wait until Aho signs before I sign Marner. If Marner then insists on Matthews money I tell his agent to go about the league and bring me back your best offersheet. I let him walk if compensation is 4 #1s and match otherwise.
Pts/60 EV
Marner 3.4
Aho 2.8
Matthews 3.3

PTs/60 PP
Marner 6.0
Aho 6.1
Matthews 7.0

PK TOI
Marner 60.5
Aho 58.2
Matthews 1.3

Aho is clearly getting significantly more PP time.
I don't think it is obvious that Marner is that close to Aho given his PP p/60 are at a career low given the anemic PP of the leafs this year. Aho is seeing huge increases in his PP performance this year.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Wow. Well said. Dubas isn't delivering the vision.

Dubas has to wait til Aho signs to show Marner what other teams are doing.

I'm not sure why we think our team is going to do so well over the next 5 years when our best LW is Johnsson and we have one right shot D named Zaitsev.
You don't need to wait for Aho to sign to realize that paying Marner 10+ for 5 years is an overpay. The internal comparables are the flies in the ointment.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Nylander is living up to his 7 mill over the last 10 games.
Too early to tell. He has played well...yes. I will even concede the recency bias. However, 7 points in 10 games is a 57 point season. It isn't good enough. He needs to maintain a high level of play for a sustained period that is paid off by pucks in the net.

RLF

May 5, 2014
LOL, using Kane was a bad example. As for the rest though... the younger guys are taking over for them.

By me, or by you?lol

Point was, yes there are younger guys "taking over" point total wise, but those "older" guys are still at the top of the league on point per game and are 2-5 years older than JT. JT has a more complete game than many of the younger who are putting up points. Plus, the intangible of being a Leaf fan his whole life and wanting badly to win a cup here. I doubt we will ever have to worry about his dedication. I would be more worried about us giving $7-$8 mil to a non-elite type player at 27 than the $11 for JT at 27.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mine too. Gonna be 35 years this year.
You guys are lucky man. Well great picks for both of you. I got a good one too from 25 years ago in States when i played there. But she can get downright nasty and caddy with her girlfriends. Maybe American girls a little different.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Pay your top stars their $. What you don't do is overpay supporting guys like Marleau and Zaitsev. Thanks Lou.
So much fuss about Nylander's deal when it's a good one. Meanwhile, no one cares about the corpse of Marleau making 6.3 million per.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You guys are lucky man. Well great picks for both of you. I got a good one too from 25 years ago in States when i played there. But she can get downright nasty and caddy with her girlfriends. Maybe American girls a little different.
My wife's American. Brought up mostly in Canada though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->