Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Stanley what? At this point I'd settle for a team that is not an eyesore to watch.

The hope would be that with some sheltering that Roslovic and Texier could take a step, and then maybe you end up in a Blues type of situation where you win with two or three strong centers rather than an elite center.

Though if you have a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

Roslo and Tex 2nd and 3rd centers. Use Foligno,Savard,Nash, maybe Domi for getting picks and/or prospect. Make small rivers and then get a lake. Use these picks/prospects and capspace for star 1C. Example pay for those players at TDL is combined 2x 1st 1x 2nd 1x 5th rounders. Rest of the season give young guns lots of TOI and see what happens. Maybe too opmistic but i like dreaming

Reactions: DJA

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
OT but They're pumping Jesses stats with McJesus to have better trade value for him :sarcasm:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Trade Watch List 2021 — The Fourth Period

upload_2021-3-1_13-25-37.png

upload_2021-3-1_13-26-3.png

Also, apparently the entire Nashville Predators roster is on the block.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with you on other parts, but Ryan O'Reilly is definitely Elite and won both Selke and Conn Smythe that year.

Right, but people clearly didn't think of him as that before the trade. He was moved for a pile of dung.

Imagine the Blues having said "we shouldn't acquire ROR, he's not elite and you can't win a cup if your top center isn't elite".

Reactions: Viqsi

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
IDK if a trade doesn't happens this year, but I think Jarmo has to make a move for a C. There is not a No. 1 center within this group currently and there nothing on the upcoming UFA market, so if they want to upgrade at C, it has to be via trade.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Right, but people clearly didn't think of him as that before the trade. He was moved for a pile of dung.

Imagine the Blues having said "we shouldn't acquire ROR, he's not elite and you can't win a cup if your top center isn't elite".

But would they have won if ROR didn't become a Selke worthy center? Your whole argument had basis of there not being an elite center in the team, yet ROR winning both Selke and Conn Smythe definitely played a part in them winning and not the other way around. I don't get what they thought of him beforehand has anything to do with it. What does it matter if he was or was not elite before going there, he was elite when they won.

Are you saying we should get a couple average centers and hope one of them pans out like the cinderella story of ROR so we can win the cup? I'm trying to understand your point.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But would they have won if ROR didn't become a Selke worthy center? Your whole argument had basis of there not being an elite center in the team, yet ROR winning both Selke and Conn Smythe definitely played a part in them winning and not the other way around. I don't get what they thought of him beforehand has anything to do with it. What does it matter if he was or was not elite before going there, he was elite when they won.

Are you saying we should get a couple average centers and hope one of them pans out like the cinderella story of ROR so we can win the cup? I'm trying to understand your point.

I'm saying get someone good that you think might even be able to do better. Do we think RNH has a chance to become even better? Then sign him. You definitely hope for a Cinderella story, of course. I don't think tearing down and looking for high draft picks is a very good model, not unless you had far less talent than the Jackets do. From where we are, we should hope for a Blues-like approach. A 70 pt center and a 60 pt center would be good enough to win, assuming you get great performances elsewhere in the lineup. It's not all hopeless. Roslovic and Texier have a lot of talent.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm saying get someone good that you think might even be able to do better. Do we think RNH has a chance to become even better? Then sign him. You definitely hope for a Cinderella story, of course. I don't think tearing down and looking for high draft picks is a very good model, not unless you had far less talent than the Jackets do. From where we are, we should hope for a Blues-like approach. A 70 pt center and a 60 pt center would be good enough to win, assuming you get great performances elsewhere in the lineup. It's not all hopeless. Roslovic and Texier have a lot of talent.
RNH is exactly who I've got my eye on. Love to have him here.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I think the ROR scenario being presented is a little off. He was a pretty good center in Buffalo and put up 60, 55, and 61 points his three seasons there on some pretty bad teams. He wasn't some scrub that St. Louis picked up who turned into a beast during their cup season. He might not have been elite but he was already pretty darn good. The other part, and this is a key that I often forget and have to look up, is the return Buffalo got that everyone laughs at. Buffalo was due to cut him a $7.5m check at the end of the day he was traded. That's not chump change for most teams and Buffalo's GM at the time said the return would have been better if Buffalo would have paid the bonus and waited for a better deal.

As for Jarmo, I think there might be some small deals between now and the deadline but I wouldn't expect anything big going out or coming in until the off-season, if at all. I took a quick glance at CapFriendly and only saw a dozen teams with enough deadline cap space to acquire Foligno or Savard at the deadline and most of those teams are the likes of Ottawa/Detroit/LA who won't be buyers. Boston, Florida, and Carolina are the only teams I see that might be buyers and actually have enough cap space to add players in a picks/prospects deal that Jarmo probably wants. Everyone else would need to send equivalent cap hits back to Jarmo to acquire Savard or Foligno or free up cap space elsewhere which might be hard this year.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I'd love to have him too, even though I don't think he'd be a big scorer in Columbus. Unfortunately I'd bet he doesn't hit the market.

I think you're probably right. Most of what I'm seeing says Edmonton and RNH are only about a million apart which isn't much given how much time they have to negotiate between now and the UFA frenzy.

The UFA centers class this summer looks like a whole bunch of man that guy is old and who the heck is that so I don't know what Jarmo can do to fill that roster void. This looks like one of the weakest UFA classes in years right now for centers.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
What about Eric Staal? I still think he could play top line minutes.

Shame Domi has zero value but I think Sam Bennet would be a good pick up.

As for offseason signings I think Jarmo should sign Danualt and Armia.

Arturi Lehkonen is Exactly the type of winger to complemenr Laine's sluggish forchecking, pair them up with a playmaking center and you have a great makeshift line until Barkov signs.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
As for Jarmo, I think there might be some small deals between now and the deadline but I wouldn't expect anything big going out or coming in until the off-season, if at all. I took a quick glance at CapFriendly and only saw a dozen teams with enough deadline cap space to acquire Foligno or Savard at the deadline and most of those teams are the likes of Ottawa/Detroit/LA who won't be buyers. Boston, Florida, and Carolina are the only teams I see that might be buyers and actually have enough cap space to add players in a picks/prospects deal that Jarmo probably wants. Everyone else would need to send equivalent cap hits back to Jarmo to acquire Savard or Foligno or free up cap space elsewhere which might be hard this year.
We can pay a part of salary because contracts of Foligno and Savard will end after this season.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
We can pay a part of salary because contracts of Foligno and Savard will end after this season.

That's assuming that the FO is interested in retaining part of their salaries which at this point I'm not sure is real thing.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
I'd take a shot with Dylan Strome, according to the hawks fans he'd be almost free so why not. Near ppg center 2 years ago and ok numbers last year.

Supposedly injury prone (can see that from games played) and very soft. But as long as he can pass the puck to Laine efficiently enough like he did to McDavid in juniors I think it'd be an upgrade to what we have... Think we have enough grinders anyway.

Just spitballing though I haven't followed him at all, just quick thoughts after perusing their boards and his stats.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Eichel out of reach?

Nope. I don't think so. I think we can compete with both NYR and LA for him (the two biggest rumored places).

Compete doesn't mean win, but I think we could do it (1st + Werenski + Texier)

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
I think there are two options:

1: Get the Eichel or some other playmaker center soon as possible

2: Trade Laine

Laine is not gonna stay if he can't play with some talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad