Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The topic of this thread is literally bewildering.

If McDavid was Russian and paced 150 points this year, while Canadian Kucherov paced for ZERO points this year... yes, the narrative would still be McDavid is the best player in the world.

What a joke of a thread.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
McDavid is a tier above, imagine him on TB
I will try
He will have to play with 2 sub PPG players (Point and Palat) instead of one of the best league CF recent HART and Art winner Draisaitl (who scored almost equal to Palat and Point combined). And he will have to play without scoring leader among defenders Barrie

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Sure, among some people.
Unlike the NBA or MLB, there’s still a noticeable contingent of NHL media and fans still stuck in the Cold War.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
The Narrative around McDavid would be "He's not a leader" instead of "He needs more help"
Dem Dude you re so right, Narrative about him just "He needs more help" - it is in everyones head - just read it here, When Ovie loss - everyone just talked about his leadership since he came there. Nobody talked that Sid had Geno help at SC Runs etc Ovie was all alone there

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Imagine where the Oilers would have been if McDavid didn't play in the regular season. :laugh:

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Kuch reminds me of Forsberg, a hardnosed winner that plays his best when it matters the most. And yes it would be a different narrative.

Reactions: David McChoker

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Kucherov has won one cup. On a stacked team. Point. Stamkos. Vasi. Hedman. Cernak. McDonough. Maroon is a force physically. Tyler Johnson would probably be the third best player on Edmonton.

McDavid has Draisaitl and....maybe Nurse?

It's not black and white. You have to keep in mind several variables with this discussion.
Hopkins

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Joe Thornton the good old Canadian boy says hello as does Marcel Dionne.

I don’t agree with the idea that every superstar in a 30-32 team league has to win a SC but the idea remains prevalent just look at the criticism (misplaced IMO) that Connor is getting with his playoff resume right now.

Ovi wasn’t treated any differently.

This. Remember what Torts retorted when asked what his opinion on what Thornton had said was?

People take the Ovie thing way too personally. Not to mention the fact that the Caps were President's Trophy winners at the time.
Ovechkin's goal domination has never been in question and I for one can't wait for him to make 800.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
2 good players
Just good players?
Barrie Best offensive defender in NHL
Drai - Best CF in league not named McJesus
McJesus himself - also not just good player
In reality Edmonton have best offensive group at that line
Kucherov have Palat and Point in his line who both scored less than McJesus linemate Drai alone
Hedman good defender who was not better than Barrie offensively
What are you talking about if Tampa just havent any point per game player when they play without Kucherov

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Just good players?
Kucherov have Palat and Point in his line who both scored less than McJesus linemate Drai alone
What are you talking about if Tampa just havent any point per game player when they play without Kucherov

Do you think Edmonton makes the playoffs if McDavid is absent the whole season?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Just good players?
I'm agreeing with you my dude

Reactions: geoo9

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They probably would tbh drai would have just won his second hart

Idk why their coach separated their best line from the year before just to make McDavid happy

Last edited:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
They probably would tbh drai would have just won his second hart

Idk why their coach separated their best line from the year before just to make McDavid happy

Color me skeptical. Being the only superstar on a top-heavy team is a tall order.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
They would have received free 14 million for which they would have strengthened the team and it is obvious that they would have maked to the PO- LTIR rule made for such situations and Tampa used it too

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
our media used to be terribly biased, i think it is good, now. crosby and mcdick have flown free of criticism likely because of how much they sell the game, rather than nationality.
The media used to be terribly biased. It still is but it used to too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Do I think Patrick Kane is a terrible player because his team can't make the playoffs now because its less talented than it used to be? Yes teams and rosters you play with matter a lot....switch anyone in Eichel's position over his career and that player doesn't have an opportunity to sniff the playoffs. Keep in mind a team with Mackinnon finished with a sub 50 point season in a 82 game season not too long ago.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The topic of this thread is literally bewildering.

If McDavid was Russian and paced 150 points this year, while Canadian Kucherov paced for ZERO points this year... yes, the narrative would still be McDavid is the best player in the world.

What a joke of a thread.
Also, just go to a live NHL game where McDavid is playing. He's unreal. I personally haven't seen any hockey player like that since Bure.

Kuch is a great player, but yeah he is a Russian playing on a team in Florida. Similar to Stamkos seems to be battling injuries, so not in constant discussion and highlight reels year-over-year. I personally can't recall 1 Kuch highlight all-time except the no-shot goal. I just know he gets a chit ton of points.
tbh I found Kaprizov pretty interesting this year. Also Russian, but playing in a more passionate/traditional hockey market and making some innovative and exciting plays.
I could honestly care less about a players birthplace unless it's international hockey. see: Bure is one of my GOAT faves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad