Do you think if Kucherov were Canadian and McDavid were Russian there'd be a different narrative?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think there would be a slight change in the narrative. If that were the case, the best player in the world would be Russian.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I think nationality plays a role, as well as franchise. McDavid has a LOT more stress to be the golden boy in Canada, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

Reactions: User9992

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Here's a question: how many people buy a ticket just to see Kucherov play hockey? How many come to see McDavid?

Not a knock on Kucherov, just saying. Marketability matters and McDavid is simply more exciting to watch (not to mention the fact that his PPG average is 4th best all time). Kucherov benefits from playing on a stacked team which is so good that I bet they could win the Cup this year without him. Kuch is a top 10 player in the league right now, but not sure where this obsession of trying to make him #1 comes from. Can't Tampa fans just be happy with the embarrassment of riches they have rather than try to force everyone else to acknowledge Kuch's greatness?
Thread starter isn't a Lightning fan, FYI.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
People can think whoever they want to think is the best player in the league. I know McDavid is the best player in the league and his nationality has nothing to do with it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This thread isn't about who is the best player. It's about bias. As a Toronto fan, I can confirm the bias. The Leafs fans made a huge deal about getting David Clarkson, who absolutely sucks at hockey. They love players from the GTA. I don't suppose there is anything wrong with that. But yeah, Kucherov isn't going to get that same kind of love.

Reactions: User9992 and itsJG

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Lol according to Oiler fans, Drasatil is the 2nd best player in the league and Nurse a Norris level defender. That isn't enough help for a generational player?
Can you please keep going down the Oil roster and tell me who else we have that will make us a cup contender? (hint: it's a very short list right now)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Kucherov is really good, no doubt about that. One of the best player in the league for sure. But, if McDavid was in the same position he would probably have more points than Kucherov has accumulated so far in this playoff. It wouldn't even be close.

Reactions: Future GOAT

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I always thought McDavid was Russian. It makes sense now, because that doesn't really sound like a Russian name.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I do think that if Kucherov were Canadian he would be a little more 'respected,' but I don't think he'd be considered better than McDavidov even still. Ovi being Russian doesn't be seen as a negative when talking about the best goal scorers of all time.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
No. Kucherov wasn't an impact NHLer as a wing until he was 21-years-old, and he wasn't among the very best in the league until he was 24. McDavid was a 1C at age 18 and arguably the best player in the league before he turned 21.

McDavid has twice as much hardware as Kuch while playing for a far inferior team.

McDavid was always a special talent; Kucherov is just another Hall of Famer with an impressive peak.

Reactions: Future GOAT

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
McdAvid has an absolute horrible team built around him.

other than Draisatl and Nurse they have Mike the 40 year old virgin Smith and Yamamoto ( yakupov clone )

they are not a well built team and one player does not make a team..

Please explain all the similarities between Yamamoto and Yakupov, aside from the first letter of their last names...

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
It would largely be the same among hardcore hockey fans.

I think if #97 were Russian he'd still be viewed by the majority as the best in the world. I do think there'd be an uptick in internet dildos claiming McDavid uses PEDs and a few Washington Post articles demanding he condemn Russian interference in the 2016 election. Right now there's a solid 20-25% of the American populace who actively hate Russians. That % might be higher or lower in Canada, can't say for sure.

I don't think much would change with Kucherov if he were Canadian. I could be wrong. Are Canadians are sensitive about the world's best hockey player being Canadian? That could change the calculus. Fun thought experiment anyhow!

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Yes, the narrative would be different. I still think of McDavid as the number 1 and Kucherov as the number 2 regardless of nationality. But if McDavid was Russian and Kucherov canadian, there would be a biased against McDavid debate on this, people would claim that John Kucheron is #1 despite Daviderov being the obvious better player. Which is nonsense. McDavid really is the best player, but if roles were reversed a lot of ppl would claim otherwise.

Reactions: User9992

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
No. I think it's just a case of people overrating the regular season and dismissing the playoffs. Because its only a team game in the playoffs... or something. The small sample size argument that apologists of certain players use is amusing to me as sample size is, in fact, an endogenous variable.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
No. I think it's just a case of people overrating the regular season and dismissing the playoffs. Because its only a team game in the playoffs... or something. The small sample size argument that apologists of certain players use is amusing to me as sample size is, in fact, an endogenous variable.
Hockey in the playoffs is much harder and you cant do same stuff relying on only own skills and have similar performing. It is about your skills to make complicated game based on you IQ, ability to improve teammates, vision, creativity, mindset. If you best in the world - Playoffs is right place to show us what kind of player you are. Kucherov got it perfectly - he didnt trying to make solo efforts - he made all about to win a game using deceiving, creativity, unexpected plays, and his IQ gives him edge over McDavid when more harder game in playoffs limited McDavids abilities

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
McdAvid has an absolute horrible team built around him.

other than Draisatl and Nurse they have Mike the 40 year old virgin Smith and Yamamoto ( yakupov clone )

they are not a well built team and one player does not make a team..

You don't watch the Oilers or you don't understand hockey. Pick one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->