Do you still want to trade Vanek/Miller?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Can't wait to hear the people who want Vanek gone so we can watch the Hodgsons, Ennis', blahfords, Snots and the other scrubs struggle to score 20 goals a season each without a legit elite goal scorer taking the top defensive assignments.

Ps . Vanek >>>>> anyone in the Sabres system. Keep dreaming that Armia or Grigorenko even come close to Vaneks level. Only Buffalo would trade/not do everything they can to keep arguably the 2nd best goal scorer in team history here.

2nd best goal scorer in Sabres history is ludicrous. I guess you've forgotten about Perreault, Martin, Gare, Andreychuk, and Mogilny? I consider Vanek to be on a par with Miro Satan, and far behind the Hawerchuks and LaFontaines that didn't have the same longevity but scored far more goals in their careers.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think Layne believes you can't replace Vanek now or in the near future so why let him go. He seems to think teams just don't do that sort of thing and still be a decent team. Fact is, many teams do this. Every season. Please correct my mistake if I'm wrong.

News flash ..... This team is not trying to win now. They're not trying to make the playoffs now. They're not trying to win a cup now. This team is rebuilding now. This team is developing now, this team will continue to be poor to fair now and in the next year or two.

Yes, there will be less goals if Vanek goes. There will potentially be less wins if Vanek goes.

Um.... That's the whole point.

No need to keep Vanek. None.

Layne, you still haven't reached it. You haven't accepted this plan, this course, this rebuild and the pain that will go along with it. You're not alone. There are a few on HF in the same boat. Not many, but some. From what I hear, a lot of them listen and or call WGR often. It seems you're stuck between anger and bargaining.

Acceptance..... < Try getting there.

The same goes for Miller. No need this season or next to keep him. Let them both go to another true contender and try winning a cup. Good luck to both of them.

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Re-sign both. The Sabres will be a ****ing joke offensively once Vanek is gone unless future Captain star Hodgson can replace the 35 goals/68 points Vanek brings :lol:

And re-sign Miller. Enroth is not built to be a 60 game starter and Hackett sucks and isn't that young.

In order to get them to stay you need to open the wallet (Here Pegula this is what your ticket price increase can cover since obviously you would rather do that then go "drill another hole")

Miller - 5 years/27.5
Vanek - 6 years/48

Can't wait to hear the people who want Vanek gone so we can watch the Hodgsons, Ennis', blahfords, Snots and the other scrubs struggle to score 20 goals a season each without a legit elite goal scorer taking the top defensive assignments.

Ps . Vanek >>>>> anyone in the Sabres system. Keep dreaming that Armia or Grigorenko even come close to Vaneks level. Only Buffalo would trade/not do everything they can to keep arguably the 2nd best goal scorer in team history here.

Stafford > Vanek AineC.

YOLO

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Re-sign both. The Sabres will be a ****ing joke offensively once Vanek is gone unless future Captain star Hodgson can replace the 35 goals/68 points Vanek brings :lol:

And re-sign Miller. Enroth is not built to be a 60 game starter and Hackett sucks and isn't that young.

In order to get them to stay you need to open the wallet (Here Pegula this is what your ticket price increase can cover since obviously you would rather do that then go "drill another hole")

Miller - 5 years/27.5
Vanek - 6 years/48

This is really obviously not about money.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Vanek and Miller will both be traded this year. I'll miss both, but we're keeping neither should FA come.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006

Guy is such a hack. He's been copy and pasting the same article for the past 4 years. The level of unprofessionalism, pettiness, laziness and overall poor journalism that passes as acceptable at TBN is astonishing. Oh, and I enjoyed this gem:

"Regier has an affinity for players taken high in the draft for reasons that aren’t entirely clear."

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
Vanek and Miller will both be traded this year. I'll miss both, but we're keeping neither should FA come.

I really don't like to agree with this sentiment, but I think you're right. It's become somewhat obvious that this team doesn't even have a strong base at the moment to entice either of these guys to stay. Indeed the future may be bright, but it won't be until Miller and Vanek are well out of their primes, so there's just no reason for them to stay. The key here is if they do make trades for futures, will Darcy (or whomever replaces him) do well with those futures? That's the part that makes me uneasy.

barnell

butter knife hockey
Mar 28, 2010
Rochester, NY
Exciting if Yakupov is in play.

A young player was a healthy scratch once because of lazy play means that he is going to be traded?

If that was the case, 90% of any entry draft would be traded within their first 2 years.

Yakupov is not in play. He never was. Though if Edmonton was going to be THAT dumb I would laugh all the way to the bank.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I agree with Layne that nobody on the roster or the farm look capable of matching Vanek points, I also agree that Hackett doesn't look that great either. Throw Ott on the block too, re-signing them just means a lesser return in 2 or 3 years when Darcy does trade them and this team is more than 2 years away.

I would prefer the Sabres sign them, but if they aren't willing then better to trade them.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I agree with Layne that nobody on the roster or the farm look capable of matching Vanek points, I also agree that Hackett doesn't look that great either. Throw Ott on the block too, re-signing them just means a lesser return in 2 or 3 years when Darcy does trade them and this team is more than 2 years away.

I would prefer the Sabres sign them, but if they aren't willing then better to trade them.

I see what you're saying regarding the farm, I really do. However, it's way too early to make such statements, IMO. Hackett was highly regarded coming from Minnesota's system, and has played all of a few games here. There's just no sense in comparing today's Hackett with what he may become in a few years. People were saying similar things about Miller with his first few starts here. Additionally, there may not be a prospect that can score as much as Vanek, but I'm alright with that. Essentially, if they're doing this rebuild properly, they're building a TEAM. I love having Vanek's offensive ability here, but if they're building a strong, balanced team for the future, I can live without him being here. They'll be terrible for the next few years to be sure, but they would only be marginally better today with him in the lineup and hopefully a lot better down the road with what he brings back.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Layne...

Vanek is not sticking around, its really quite obvious no?

I think it's obvious to him. But he's preserving his objections so that when they don't re-sign him and do trade him, he can complain about it and act like it was Buffalo's decision not to retain him--notwithstanding the numerous public statements from management/ownership that they want both Vanek and Miller to return.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A young player was a healthy scratch once because of lazy play means that he is going to be traded?

If that was the case, 90% of any entry draft would be traded within their first 2 years.

Yakupov is not in play. He never was. Though if Edmonton was going to be THAT dumb I would laugh all the way to the bank.

99% of the time, I'd agree with everything you just said. But I have a weird feeling that Edmonton is going to do something very stupid this year. Leading up to the draft, MacTavish was telling anyone who'd listen that he was an impatient person and would listen to deals for his 1st rounder (#7 overall)--which was offered to Vancouver for Schneider, mind you--to help the current roster, and he'd at least listen on deals for his other youngsters, sparking speculation that Eberle may be moved.

Do I think they'll trade Yakupov this season? Nah, not this season. (Though I wouldn't be shocked to see them do it in the offseason or next season if the status quo continues.) But I think MacTavish is going to do something that is going to shock everyone. I just hope we're the beneficiary of that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
99% of the time, I'd agree with everything you just said. But I have a weird feeling that Edmonton is going to do something very stupid this year. Leading up to the draft, MacTavish was telling anyone who'd listen that he was an impatient person and would listen to deals for his 1st rounder (#7 overall)--which was offered to Vancouver for Schneider, mind you--to help the current roster, and he'd at least listen on deals for his other youngsters, sparking speculation that Eberle may be moved.

Do I think they'll trade Yakupov this season? Nah, not this season. (Though I wouldn't be shocked to see them do it in the offseason or next season if the status quo continues.) But I think MacTavish is going to do something that is going to shock everyone. I just hope we're the beneficiary of that.

Edmonton needs to move either Eberle or Yakupov if they want to try and be a more balanced team.

With Yakupov 2nd contract will make Edmonton very top heavy on forwards that it will hurt them in goal or defense.

Miller alone wouldnt get Yakupov, but a signed Miller+ something else would get Yakupov.

I dont see a Miller+ Vanek for Yakupov trade.

Outside of big 4 forwards, Edmonton doesnt have anything Buffalo wants or needs.

Karate Johnson*

Miller - 5 years/27.5
Vanek - 6 years/48

Lets role play, I'll start the scenario:

Regier: here is a 7 year contract for $50 million.

Vaneks agent: no thanks, this isn't really about money and we can get a similar deal from a team that is going to contend, like Minnesota, and I also want to move back home

Ok, Layne, balls in your court.... SIGN THE SECOND BEST SCORER EVER!

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Edmonton needs to move either Eberle or Yakupov if they want to try and be a more balanced team.

With Yakupov 2nd contract will make Edmonton very top heavy on forwards that it will hurt them in goal or defense.

Miller alone wouldnt get Yakupov, but a signed Miller+ something else would get Yakupov.

I dont see a Miller+ Vanek for Yakupov trade.

Outside of big 4 forwards, Edmonton doesnt have anything Buffalo wants or needs.

Sure they do. Klefbom is going to be very good. Who cares if he's a defenseman? Not all of our defensemen are going to pan out as we're assuming. Marc-Olivier Roy is an intriguing prospect, as is Slepyshev. More importantly, their picks are what we should be after; I think they'll be picking in the top-10, even with Miller. It takes awhile to wash away the stench of perennial losing.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
FYI. I wonder whether a) this is true; and b) if true, how iron clad these arrangements are. Regehr waived his a couple years ago to come to Buffalo, albeit under different circumstances.

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 5m
Note with trade talk, #Sabres Ryan Miller does have a limited no trade clause and #Oilers are one of the teams on his no trade list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad