Do you still want to trade Vanek/Miller?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
2012-2013 Buffalo Sabres 14.1% - Ranked #16 in conference
2011-2012 Buffalo Sabres 17.1% - Ranked #9 in conference
2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres 19.4% - Ranked #4 in conference
2009-2010 Buffalo Sabres 17.6% - Ranked #9 in conference

Do you mean in the league? There's no such thing as 16th in the conference.

Unless you're using the new conferences?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

mikedifr

Jul 5, 2004
NJ
I agree it's a calculated risk. I'm betting on the cap going up to 90-100 million 5 years from now.

I just think Vanek is worth it. I think the rebuild needs a Vanek type player. A first liner who can help show the younger players the way. I also believe Vanek can help us win a cup when the younger players are ready a few years from now.

Even though Chicago has all those young studs, they have a Hossa for those two Cups as well....and Sharp in between.....Cant win with all 23/24 year olds, need guys in their late 20s and veterans like Vanek as well

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I'd like to see Vanek signed.

Miller is more difficult, it really does depend on how much you believe in Hackett. I don't believe Enroth can carry the load of 60 games. You'd need a two headed goalie monster. Miller when he is on is great, but he hasn't been his best for 3 years.

TragicallySabres

Sep 23, 2011
South Buffalo
I appreciate the sentiment/argument, but that view doesn't maximize the probability to obtain either of the commodities the player seeks: 1) Cup, 2) $. (or reverse them - order is not important, not meant to be prioritized)

Moreover, a Buffalo-centric re-signing view assumes that compromise in both Cup-contention and salary is optimized in BUF and no other on-the-come NHL team.

If the player (Miller here, but insert any other NHL'er) wants a Cup, he'll sign lower on a team with greater probability than BUF to win asap. [Historically: Think Borque with COL, Hasek with DET, (now a hopeful Iginla with BOS), etc.]

In short, I guess I think that Cup vs. $ compromise decision dilemna to sign in BUF is still a couple off-seasons away for any NHL'er (current Sabre or not). Although I think we'd agree I'd gladly be proven wrong. :)

Iginla is my favorite player of all time. I can't help but cringe a little as a Sabres fan that I have to hope Boston can win one for him. Either way, he deserves one more than any other player I can think of, and if we aren't contending for a while still, so be it. GO IGGY! :yo:

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
If they want to be here then I sign them. But the contracts need to be reasonable. Vanek is the type of player who I believe would benefit by aging on a young team and no longer needing to be 'the guy'. I think Miller can still play, but he must want to be here. If not, then trade.

But, if the season is going poorly and the Sabres and in the cellar then trading both makes the most sense.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
‏@TSN1050Radio

Bob McKenzie tells TSN Drive that the Sabres are in no rush to deal Vanek but teams like the Oilers could be hot on Ryan Miller.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
‏@TSN1050Radio

Bob McKenzie tells TSN Drive that the Sabres are in no rush to deal Vanek but teams like the Oilers could be hot on Ryan Miller.

Edmonton's first plus what? I doubt it's one of their "big guns" like Schultz, Yak, RNH, Eberle, Hall. I doubt we'd be interested in Klefbom or Nurse. Maybe a guy like Zharkov and another pick?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Edmonton's first plus what? I doubt it's one of their "big guns" like Schultz, Yak, RNH, Eberle, Hall. I doubt we'd be interested in Klefbom or Nurse. Maybe a guy like Zharkov and another pick?

‏@SabresProspects
Oilers being interested in Miller is probably worst kept secret in hockey. Best kept is whether or not EDM is on "the list"!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I stand by my belief that Ryan Miller will get more than people expect. Its a big time move for any team.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I would take Edmonton's first straight up. Like, no questions asked. If we're hanging onto Miller hoping they up their offer off that point, they'll just as likely end up fixing their problem some other way.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Oilers fans agreed to in the main board to Lander, 1st and a goalie contract so I would pick Bachman and send him to the Amerks.

I would do that

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I say keep Miller after his recency... But again, small sample to work with.

Trouble is he's not going to give you that choice.

Move him while his value is high. After another couple months behind this defense, he won't look so rosy.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Oilers fans agreed to in the main board to Lander, 1st and a goalie contract so I would pick Bachman and send him to the Amerks.

I would do that

I just pray Darcy's not holding out for the big haul. This deal also looks very acceptable to me. The first is the only part of it I care about, but still.

An Oilers first round pick is pretty likely to be top 15.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
If they want to be here then I sign them. But the contracts need to be reasonable. Vanek is the type of player who I believe would benefit by aging on a young team and no longer needing to be 'the guy'. I think Miller can still play, but he must want to be here. If not, then trade.

But, if the season is going poorly and the Sabres and in the cellar then trading both makes the most sense.

There is not a chance I would trade them, unless both asked to and have packed it in. Really, just think what this team would be like without them. Fans forget how close this city was of losing this franchise when it was this bad in the past.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
There is not a chance I would trade them, unless both asked to and have packed it in. Really, just think what this team would be like without them. Fans forget how close this city was of losing this franchise when it was this bad in the past.

Well completely different circumstances as they didn't have an owner then and were bankrupt being run by the league. Pegula isn't going to move the franchise. Moving Vanek and Miller would harken back to the mid 80s glory days when we were fortunate enough to select Turgeon instead of Shanaban, Sakic etc from his draft year.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Well completely different circumstances as they didn't have an owner then and were bankrupt being run by the league. Pegula isn't going to move the franchise. Moving Vanek and Miller would harken back to the mid 80s glory days when we were fortunate enough to select Turgeon instead of Shanaban, Sakic etc from his draft year.

If the fans walk away from the rink for years, this owner will get concerned. Its all about fans in the stands and I feel this fan base is a fair weather one. Not saying it will happen, but just say'n!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the fans walk away from the rink for years, this owner will get concerned. Its all about fans in the stands and I feel this fan base is a fair weather one. Not saying it will happen, but just say'n!

The fan base has been pretty solid since BTG bought the club out of bankruptcy. Although, there are signs that the patience is wearing thin.

I think that has as much to do as the formerly really cheap season ticket prices rising up like the rest of the league as the downturn in the quality of the on ice product.

And like most cities, the bandwagon will be jumping if the team is in the playoffs in 2 or 3 years.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

+? Edmontons first is likely a top 5 pick. Darcy takes that first and doesn't think twice.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Re-sign both. The Sabres will be a ****ing joke offensively once Vanek is gone unless future Captain star Hodgson can replace the 35 goals/68 points Vanek brings :lol:

And re-sign Miller. Enroth is not built to be a 60 game starter and Hackett sucks and isn't that young.

In order to get them to stay you need to open the wallet (Here Pegula this is what your ticket price increase can cover since obviously you would rather do that then go "drill another hole")

Miller - 5 years/27.5
Vanek - 6 years/48

Can't wait to hear the people who want Vanek gone so we can watch the Hodgsons, Ennis', blahfords, Snots and the other scrubs struggle to score 20 goals a season each without a legit elite goal scorer taking the top defensive assignments.

Ps . Vanek >>>>> anyone in the Sabres system. Keep dreaming that Armia or Grigorenko even come close to Vaneks level. Only Buffalo would trade/not do everything they can to keep arguably the 2nd best goal scorer in team history here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad