Do you still want to trade Vanek/Miller?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not that high on Yakupov. I see him as a scoring only, no defense winger that would get shut down in the playoffs. That's even if he doesn't reject forechecking and become a whiner before bolting to the KHL.

So even if Miller for Yakupov is a great deal value wise (a steal, right?), I still don't think it's worth it to trade any asset, even a pending UFA, for a player that really isn't in the mold of a Cup contributor.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I'm not that high on Yakupov. I see him as a scoring only, no defense winger that would get shut down in the playoffs. That's even if he doesn't reject forechecking and become a whiner before bolting to the KHL.

So even if Miller for Yakupov is a great deal value wise (a steal, right?), I still don't think it's worth it to trade any asset, even a pending UFA, for a player that really isn't in the mold of a Cup contributor.

Did you say scoring?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I have very little interest in Yakupov.... but if you can get him for Miller you do it.

The you trade Yakupov to some moron like Holmgren or Sather who will give you crazy awesome assets for him :nod:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yakupov would be our Kane, we need a Toews. The mistake would be getting Yakupov and building around him. You give me Yakupov and Reinhart, our Kane and Toews.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Staple had his first in season fanchat today. He was asked about Miller and Vanek.
Staple says Snow won't give up anything decent for impending ufa Miller. He goes on to say if Miller ends up an isle, it will be after signing as a ufa next summer.

The Vanek comment was interesting. Staple speculated whether Grabner could convince Vanek to sign with the Isles, sell him on the Isles at the Olympics. Staple speculated that Moulson could be part of the Vanek trade , but imo that part makes no sense. Moulson is an impending ufa, lookingor a big payday. I expect the Sabres to demand young talent fot Vanek.

Is there any truth , behind the Vanek will sign with Wild rumors?

I know he went to school in Minn. , is married to a Minn girl and works out in the offseason in Minn.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...hur-staple-at-12-30-p-m-on-thursday-1.6252031

Staple is a moron... he floated Miller for Hemsky ... i nearly lost a nut laughing so hard.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Nevermind... different Staple ...this was David Staple from Edmonton.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why would anyone know who is on Millers no-trade list....?

Pominville confirmed that his list wasn't given until 2 days before he was traded .... Why would it be any different?

Karate Johnson*

The list is given when it is asked for I believe. I was under the impression that it was given at the beginning of the season.

I also don't believe it is something that, once it is submitted, can change.

Like Miller couldn't give a list of 8 teams, then swap one out at the last minute. That would make it an unlimited no trade.

So in short, Millers list is likely been submitted to the Sabres, an can't change on his end. The team could ask him to reconsider a team ad he could waive.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Why would anyone know who is on Millers no-trade list....?

Pominville confirmed that his list wasn't given until 2 days before he was traded .... Why would it be any different?

The list is given when it is asked for I believe. I was under the impression that it was given at the beginning of the season.

That's laid out in each contract. Some are provided upon request, some have to be provided each summer before the season.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If LeBrun says one was given this summer, then I'll take him at his word. That Miller provided a list this offseason shouldn't be that surprising.

Karate Johnson*

That's laid out in each contract. Some are provided upon request, some have to be provided each summer before the season.

Right.

But is there any doubt that Miller hasn't been asked to submit if that is how his contract is worded?

Karate Johnson*

You can try though. A flashy elite scorer and a great all around center with leadership.

Its Breire and Drury like also. Its a good combo.

It was a joke, haha.

I completely agree that Chicago is the exact team to try to build like, more so than Pit or Boston.

I also believe that is exactly what we are attempting to do.

Pit is more top heavy and it's unrealistic to say "draft the best player of the last 20 years"

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I doubt Miller would change his no-trade list for Edmonton. Nobody wants to move to that city in the middle of the year just for ***** and giggles. He'd rather stay if only because it's less hassle.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Good lord there are some ****** teams out there. IMO Vanek/Miller are most certainly going to keep us from our shot at the #1.

Edmonton, Philly, Jersey: all dog ****. We need to fail better.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Sorry but this is crazy thinking. Yakupov is worth much more than Miller, even if we trade him immediately or in 2 years, we'll come out way ahead.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sorry but this is crazy thinking. Yakupov is worth much more than Miller, even if we trade him immediately or in 2 years, we'll come out way ahead.

Well I was also going to say, "of course you could flip Yakupov for something better down the road", but obviously Regier isn't going to get Yakupov for Miller straight up anyway. The premise is fantasy, but the point stays the same - I don't want Buffalo to trade for a player that ultimately isn't a player worth keeping for a Cup run.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well I was also going to say, "of course you could flip Yakupov for something better down the road", but obviously Regier isn't going to get Yakupov for Miller straight up anyway. The premise is fantasy, but the point stays the same - I don't want Buffalo to trade for a player that ultimately isn't a player worth keeping for a Cup run.

I don't know that it's that easy to say who's worth keeping for a cup run. Kid has played half a season, essentially. Patrick Kane, taken in isolation (small and easy to rub off the puck, dangler), isn't a playoff player, until you surround him with the right cast that lets his skill set thrive, and then he's an essential piece. Ilya Kovalchuk spent a decade being a one dimensional guy with the Thrashers until he was put into a system in Jersey that demanded he be a complete player. It's hard to predict what kind of skill is going to be essential on a cup winner - all you know for sure is you need a lot of it.

Yakupov's level of talent isn't so commonplace that you can wait and try to find a better version. I think you go after that level of talent whenever it becomes available. I doubt we see a more talented young guy than Yakupov dealt in the next couple years.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Good lord there are some ****** teams out there. IMO Vanek/Miller are most certainly going to keep us from our shot at the #1.

Edmonton, Philly, Jersey: all dog ****. We need to fail better.

Don't give a **** about Jersey, they don't even have a 1st :laugh:

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
Yakupov would be our Kane, we need a Toews. The mistake would be getting Yakupov and building around him. You give me Yakupov and Reinhart, our Kane and Toews.

I'm not sure Yakupov will be near as good as Kane.. I don't like adding Yakupov to this team and don't like the Oilers as a trading partner.

I'm hoping the Islanders stay in contention, imagine if they inquired about Vanek and Ehrhoff. They liked Ehrhoff before, and have the cap space to keep Vanek especially with the move coming.

I sure hope the hockey gods land us Conner McDavid. We should load up on picks for the kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->