Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With the emergence of Reilly, the maturing of Lilly. We will not need Dougherty.

As has been said... Rielly hasn't emerged as a legit first pairing yet... and Lilly? Seriously folks, Lilly has some high end potential, but it's merely potential....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When Doughty signed his extension in LA, he held out until half-way through the pre-season. He's already said he doesn't give a crap where he plays, and has shown in the past a willingness to go hard after a good contract.

In an interview on TSN the other day he claimed he wants to win Cups and if LA is not heading in the right direction he is willing to move on to a team that is.

Leafs certainly appear to be heading that way, and his addition to a strong offense could be the final piece and glue that holds it all together.

Its pretty much a pipe dream to think LA has any interest in dealing Doughty, one of the best Dmen in the NHL to begin a full draft rebuild process now, but may face a different situation in 2 years when his contract expires.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I wouldn't trade any of the young core for Doughty (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Liljegren).

1st rounders + prospects sure. Otherwise, wait until free agency. No rush.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In an interview on TSN the other day he claimed he wants to win Cups and if LA is not heading in the right direction he is willing to move on to a team that is.

Leafs certainly appear to be heading that way, and his addition to a strong offense could be the final piece and glue that holds it all together.

Its pretty much a pipe dream to think LA has any interest in dealing Doughty, one of the best Dmen in the NHL to begin a full draft rebuild process now, but may face a different situation in 2 years when his contract expires.

The 2019 UFA defense crop has some heavy hitters. (If not re-signed). In 2 years, the final piece to our puzzle could be available to us. We just need to keep showing what we've been showing on our way.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Wouldn't we say that, given what is public and the length of his contract/ his age, the best comparable we have would be..

On July 3, Pronger was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for forward Joffrey Lupul, defensive prospect Ladislav Å*mÃ*d, Anaheim's 2007 first-round draft pick (traded to the Phoenix Coyotes, picked Nick Ross), a conditional first-round draft pick (dependent on the Ducks reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in the next 3 years, which they did, becoming forward Jordan Eberle),[16] and Anaheim's 2008 second-round draft pick (later traded to the New York Islanders).

So

Young roster player
Liljgren
1st 2018
Conditional 1st based on playoffs or him re-signing
2nd round pick

Lupul at the time IIRC had a breakout year. He wasn't seen as a star, maybe like JVR?

A package like this is more in line with returns for stars in the past. It also allows the Leafs to add to the roster without taking away the "big three" although it does gut the team of depth. This would be a "win now" trade.

I don't see any of the big three being involved in a hypothetical deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I read Doughtys press comments to be more about putting pressure on his own management than any desire to leave.

He seems like a guy who'd be just fine staying where he is.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
No trading kids for anything yet. They're just getting started.

Get Doughty as a UFA if you want, but they can't have Nylander or Marner. They'll be so much fun to watch guys... guys... seriously you guys, get excited.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I read Doughtys press comments to be more about putting pressure on his own management than any desire to leave.

We will see. Maybe a player like Muzzin becomes available to us in order to acquire some offense they lack.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

No question, if LA moves in the right direction Doughty will like to sign his 8 year extension to stay with the Kings, much like many star players do.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There is always the chance that Doughty is the most overrated dman in the league. There isn't much in his numbers to say he is.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Also did anyone read his comments? He doesn't want to come here. No sense making this deal to have him walk in 2 years.

There has been speculation on social media of him someday playing for his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs.

Not so fast, said Doughty, who admitted to being swamped by Toronto fans during a recent trip to a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game.

"The entire crowd knows I'm there, and all of the sudden it becomes an autograph session with people standing up and down the rows," said Doughty, who was born in London, Ontario. "I couldn't walk anywhere in Canada this year without having to talk about becoming a Leaf. It's just so far-fetched. I don't even know what to say."

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
To my knowledge we never have nor have we ever been close, although Carlyle did win a Norris after we traded him for Burrows (ouch) ;)

Well, we were close in the sense we traded the pick that turned into Scott Niedermayer

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Sept 11

"I want to win Cups. I don't give a (expletive) where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that's the bottom line."

http://www.tsn.ca/doughty-on-next-contract-i-want-to-win-cups-1.852849

Sept 12

"My one comment, 'I don't care where I play. I just want to win [Stanley] Cups.' That is true. I just want to win Cups," said Doughty, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season. "When I said that, it didn't mean I didn't want to do it in L.A. The bottom line is all I care about is Cups. I don't want to win a Cup anywhere else but L.A. That's the bottom line."

https://www.nhl.com/news/drew-doughty-wants-to-stay-in-la-win-with-kings/c-291023564

That's some serious back-peddling and damage control there, folks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isn't OEL avail after this season? He's kinda good eh?

Actually OLE, Karlsson and Doughty contracts all expire at the same time .. Summer 2019 (in 2 years from now).

Could be a good free agent market for Dmen.

Of course non are likely to make it to that point, but still ... :)

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Crazy tempting, but still pass, I just think its too early to even consider making a trade involving either of those guys.

member 262271

Not people but individuals who's history of being totally wrong about players. Marner will have a great season this yaer and will challenge for the teams scoring title....no more second unit PP time for him.

I firmly believe this as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad