Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Summary of Marner's first year:

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, make a nifty pass, repeat...

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, get hit into the boards face first, hurt your back and play like a shadow of yourself...

Eventually the pros will figure out your tendencies and shut you down...the kid needs to learn a different trick...or pick and choose who he does it against, some of those defencemen are bad men...they like to hurt people.......

Marner is a genius as far as his hockey IQ is concerned. I'm sure he'll be able to adjust as he sees plays unfold before they happen; he'll always be one step ahead of his opponents. His stamina is a question mark though.

Yes he wore down from having to carry two passengers all season.

:laugh: touche, touche

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gonna be weird for you when we finish ahead of all those teams this year.

and hey this past season the top team in the league had John Carlson as their #1dman, and the cup winner had Brian Doumolin.

:laugh::laugh: :thumbu::thumbu: :laugh::laugh:

Better get ready Mess, this is quite likely to happen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Though guys like Lidstrom are more the exception rather then the rule.

If we were to make a list of the top D men in the NHL today, few would be in their mid 30s or older.

Maybe, but I looked at exceptional D men... those who have won the Norris trophy... exceptional players, typically have exceptionally long careers... in all positions.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Has nothing to do with age. Doughty will be a UFA after 2 years. After that, chances are that he'll be going elsewhere. We get Nylander for another year, and can give him a 8 year deal. We get Marner another two years, and can then offer him a 8 year deal.

I wouldn't trade for Doughty, unless a contract extension had been agreed to... as in no trade until July 2018.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Neither + Matthews. I would trade any combination of anything else to get Doughty though.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I rather we keep everyone and make a run at the list of D's that hit UFA in 2, 3 years. Doughty/Karlssson/Piets are the ultimate (Doughty has already expressed interest indirectly if your reading between the lines, can't see Piets ever leaving).

But there are good consolation prizes as well: Faulk, Carlsson in the upcoming UFA class to name a few.

Obviously, this is projecting way down the line and all of the above may never hit UFA.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yes, I would move Nylander if it's known Doughty will re-sign here.
Has he actually said he "won't re-sign with the Kings" ?

no he did not

"I'd love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn't going in the right direction â€Â¦," Doughty, who won the Stanley Cup with the Kings in 2012 and 2014, told The Hockey News. "I want to win Cups. I don't give a [darn] where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that's the bottom line."

is what he said in the interview

He tried to clarify those comments on Tuesday.

"My one comment, 'I don't care where I play. I just want to win [Stanley] Cups.' That is true. I just want to win Cups. When I said that, it didn't mean I didn't want to do it in L.A. The bottom line is all I care about is Cups," said Doughty, who can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season. "I don't want to win a Cup anywhere else but L.A. That's the bottom line."

which I figure was after a pretty stern talking to from both his agent and management!

https://www.nhl.com/news/drew-doughty-wants-to-stay-in-la-win-with-kings/c-291023564

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As far as Doughty saying he "would never sign in Toronto," this truly is the stuff of urban legend...he said no such thing

Mar 26, 2010
Neither, but if you have to pick.... Marner.

Nylander is better.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Doughty team last year missed the playoffs. Why do so many people think he will lead the Leafs to the Cup?
Add his cap, will send the performance bonuses a year later might affect the signing of the players in the future.

Tend to agree.

Doughty probably does not have it anymore. He's not the same.

He still is good, but not dominant like when the LA Kings were winning big.

Doughty is not as good as what Pronger was like. If he was another Pronger, the Leafs should make an offer. Otherwise, he looks like he's in decline as a player.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You wait until Doughty hits UFA, and see what you can do.

We have smart people managing our salary cap / competitive window.

They can find a way to fit his cap in.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, get hit into the boards face first, hurt your back and play like a shadow of yourself...

Eventually the pros will figure out your tendencies and shut you down...the kid needs to learn a different trick...or pick and choose who he does it against, some of those defencemen are bad men...they like to hurt people.......

LOL wrong....you serious post just to get people mad or you watched the same clip all year long as Marner did not do the same move all year long....but then again your history of assessing players is horrible.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
When Doughty signed his extension in LA, he held out until half-way through the pre-season. He's already said he doesn't give a crap where he plays, and has shown in the past a willingness to go hard after a good contract.

If we trade for him, I think he's a relatively big flight-risk. And even if he stays, he's going to get PAID. He will likely be getting a ~10-11M caphit I'd imagine. These are reasons to not trade any of our big three.

I'd be willing to do something like Gardiner + Kapanen + ???, but not Nylander/Marner/Matthews.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I missed the part where you said about Marner because of the wall of text but I knew who you were talking about right away. Looked up, confirmed.

This is going to be a huge year for Marner, very telling. Hope he does well and adds a bit more dynamic to his skating and eliminates some of the overly high risk elements to his passing game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When Doughty signed his extension in LA, he held out until half-way through the pre-season. He's already said he doesn't give a crap where he plays, and has shown in the past a willingness to go hard after a good contract.

If we trade for him, I think he's a relatively big flight-risk. And even if he stays, he's going to get PAID. He will likely be getting a ~10-11M caphit I'd imagine. These are reasons to not trade any of our big three.

I'd be willing to do something like Gardiner + Kapanen + ???, but not Nylander/Marner/Matthews.

Madness. Those are two extremely valuable assets. Giving them away for two years of Doughty is ... madness.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I missed the part where you said about Marner because of the wall of text but I knew who you were talking about right away. Looked up, confirmed.

This is going to be a huge year for Marner, very telling. Hope he does well and adds a bit more dynamic to his skating and eliminates some of the overly high risk elements to his passing game.

One year under his belt, he's a very cerebral player, I think he has a 70+ assist season in him down the road. guys liek him that see the ice like him are very unique.

As long as he eliminates the plays that he repeats over and over again he will be fine. His success lies in how deceptive he can be. I think a guy like Leivo or Marleau would be a perfect fit for him.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
With the emergence of Reilly, the maturing of Lilly. We will not need Dougherty.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
With the emergence of Reilly, the maturing of Lilly. We will not need Dougherty.

Rielly hasn't emerged as a legit #1 as of yet, and Liljegren is a wildcard. May become a #1, a second pairing guy, or just a journeyman.

Not saying we should trade for Doughty, but we definitely don't have a reason to be content with the blueline right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad