Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I thought about it, to be honest, but didn't want to get into a long drawn semantics argument about where we rank Rielly. I'd agree with you, but then, top 20, top 30... the argument is about the same.

You're right. That was pointless nitpicking on my part, my apologies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Though how much longer is Doughty a top 10 D man?

Anyway one wants to frame this is trading away the long term stability for a short term gamble.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Though how much longer is Doughty a top 10 D man?

Anyway one ones to frame this is trading away the long term stability for a short term gamble.

That was my thought when the Flames signed Giordano.

Would you want Giordano if he was 4 years younger and signed unto he was 37?

Perhaps the Flames thought having a top 15 defender in his 30's was worth it?

Can you believe Brian Campbell was still top 20 in voting as a 36 year old? I guess that's what skating can do for you.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Any Leaf fan that would not trade Marner or Nylander 1 for 1 for Doughty is thinking with their heart and not their brain. I was thinking the same way early this morning until I thought about it further.

That's maybe true in a vacuum. 2 years of Doughty versus 8-9 years of Nylander/Marner is not.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Doughty puts this team as a Cup favourite. Willie is too valuable. Marner is a superstar in this league, but Doughty helps us even more. Got to give quality to get quality.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Drew Doughty won the Norris in 2015-16.

1 year removed from Best Dman award in the league.

Sure, he's a great player, there's no argument there.

Now in two years, and he's a UFA (and assuming he wants to play for Toronto, even though he's expressed to the media that he doesn't like high pressure markets like Toronto) and he gets signed to an 8 year deal at 10-12 million, it's questionable if he'd be worth that type of money over the duration of
That deal.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Yes, I'd trader Marner for a signed Doughty. Why Marner over Nylander? He wore down over the course of the season. I'm not suggesting he'll continue to wear down year-after-year but we've only got 1 year of information to go off of.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yes, I'd trader Marner for a signed Doughty. Why Marner over Nylander? He wore down over the course of the season. I'm not suggesting he'll continue to wear down year-after-year but we've only got 1 year of information to go off of.

I agree, a signed Doughty for Marner, straight up, I would do.

Marner is a pretty nifty forward, however, he is on the small side, and, is likely prone to wearing down as the season extends into the playoffs.

We need a rock solid #1 D. Doughty addresses that need.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
New Jersey GM Lou and Detroit coach Babcock rode stud Dmen Scott Niedermayer and Nik Lidstrom to multiple Stanley Cups each.

One would have to think/hope that Lou would move mountains if he could to obtain Drew Doughty if he became available in trade.

Doughty is one of the best Dmen in the game today and a stud #1Dman is Leafs greatest need and desire to fuel success.

Anyone/everyone not named Matthews would have to on the table and fair game in the discussion.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I agree, a signed Doughty for Marner, straight up, I would do.

Marner is a pretty nifty forward, however, he is on the small side, and, is likely prone to wearing down as the season extends into the playoffs.

We need a rock solid #1 D. Doughty addresses that need.

Summary of Marner's first year:

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, make a nifty pass, repeat...

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, get hit into the boards face first, hurt your back and play like a shadow of yourself...

Eventually the pros will figure out your tendencies and shut you down...the kid needs to learn a different trick...or pick and choose who he does it against, some of those defencemen are bad men...they like to hurt people.......

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
New Jersey GM Lou and Detroit coach Babcock rode stud Dmen Scott Niedermayer and Nik Lidstrom to multiple Stanley Cups each.

One would have to think/hope that Lou would move mountains if he could to obtain Drew Doughty if he became available in trade.

Doughty is one of the best Dmen in the game today and a stud #1Dman is Leafs greatest need and desire to fuel success.

Anyone/everyone not named Matthews would have to on the table and fair game in the discussion.

Since I almost never agree with you, I may as well say when I do agree and that time is now.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Summary of Marner's first year:

Button hook at the blue line towards the boards, get hit into the boards face first, hurt your back and play like a shadow of yourself...

Eventually the pros will figure out your tendencies and shut you down...the kid needs to learn a different trick...or pick and choose who he does it against, some of those defencemen are bad men...they like to hurt people.......

You are right but give him some time. It took Lanny McDonald two seasons to blossom and he was drafted as a 20 year old. Mitch will also get stronger and be more difficult to push off the puck.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yes he wore down from having to carry two passengers all season.

member 262271

Maybe if it was 1997? This would be a distinct non-leafy move.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's maybe true in a vacuum. 2 years of Doughty versus 8-9 years of Nylander/Marner is not.

How old was Chara, when he stopped being a top 10 D... or is he still?

How old was Lidstrom, when he stopped being a top 10 D?

Niedermayer?

I'd suggest, Doughty should be good until he is 36-37...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Niedermayer?

Though guys like Lidstrom are more the exception rather then the rule.

If we were to make a list of the top D men in the NHL today, few would be in their mid 30s or older.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Niedermayer?

Has nothing to do with age. Doughty will be a UFA after 2 years. After that, chances are that he'll be going elsewhere. We get Nylander for another year, and can give him a 8 year deal. We get Marner another two years, and can then offer him a 8 year deal.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Larsson cost the Oilers Hall and Jones cost Columbus RyJo and Doughty is much better. (please don't respond with Marner and Nylander are better than Hall and RyJo) We would be lucky to get him 1 for 1 for Marner or Nylander.

Doughty solidifies our D and instantly makes us a serious contender.

larsson-Hall and jones-Ryno were one up swaps for similar aged players with similar contracts. (whether both were fair deals is another question).

If we were talking about trading marner or nylander for other elite rookie ELC 19/20yr olds, then those would be useful comparables.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There is no "different" discussion. There is the discussion I was having when you jumped in and attacked me without having read the previous posts which is why you thought I was talking about trading for two years of Doughty which I have zero interest in.

I don't remember those situations very well as far as contract status etc. so it's hard for me to comment. I will say that Pronger and Blake, that's going back a fair bit so ... let's stick to today, if a player like Doughty was available (or let's just say a top 10 Dman was available), what do you think the cost would be? I don't think a grab bag of lesser assets would get it done unless the player is a rental. I said earlier, a resigned Doughty is a massive asset and I'm skeptical that Marner and a 1st round pick gets it done. Maybe it does who knows, I would say that it's the absolute minimum that a prime Doughty would cost though. Would you think that's a fair statement?

There might be some team dumb enough to give up a franchise rookie for a soon to be UFA dman, but I hope it ain't us.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Battle for the Atlantic.

TB has Hedman, Montreal has Weber and Ottawa has Karsson as their #1Dmen, and that is why those teams battle for the Division and home ice as the representatives of the Eastern conference as Cup contenders. They all have a Norris candidate Dman to lead them.

Boston had Chara when they were strongest but age has now leveled that playing surface of his #1D impact. Florida has Ekblad but injuries have hindered his rise to elite #1 status.

Doughty is exactly what the Leafs would need to get serious in the arms race by having their own #1Dman to take on those challengers.

Gonna be weird for you when we finish ahead of all those teams this year.

and hey this past season the top team in the league had John Carlson as their #1dman, and the cup winner had Brian Doumolin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad