Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Since it has hit the radio waves, and Doughty has come out and said he won't re-sign with the Kings I think it would be interesting to see where Leaf fans stand on trading for one of the premier D-men in the game, that also shoots right.

For 2 years of Doughty it pretty clearly costs one of Nylander or Marner. So that leads to my question which would you trade? Neither is also an option for those that would rather not make the trade.

As much as it pains me, I would trade Marner. I just feel that Nylander will be the stronger, more consistent player and will have more game impact. Having the opportunity to not only patch the the biggest hole on the Leafs but to patch it with Titanium, it would be an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Last edited:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Doughty doesn't want to go to Toronto anyway, hard pass, let him toil in obscurity.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If the trade was contingent on him signing an extension, then yes, I would trade either one of the two as a centerpiece.

If the likelihood of him signing an extension is less that ~20%, then the answer changes to neither.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Doughty team last year missed the playoffs. Why do so many people think he will lead the Leafs to the Cup?
Add his cap, will send the performance bonuses a year later might affect the signing of the players in the future.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If the trade was contingent on him signing an extension, then yes, I would trade either one of the two as a centerpiece.

If the likelihood of him signing an extension is less that ~20%, then the answer changes to neither.

Bit of a tangent here ... I agree in theory that for a resigned Doughty I would trade either of those two as a centerpiece but the problem is fitting in his salary. This is the problem with the Marleau signing - we have no more cap flexibility to speak of. Would rather not have overpaid for a 38 year old winger and saved out bullets in case something better came along.

Last edited:

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Doughty team last year missed the playoffs. Why do so many people think he will lead the Leafs to the Cup?
Add his cap, will send the performance bonuses a year later might affect the signing of the players in the future.

The Kings have a lot of problems, primarily being that they can't score goals. They're one of the best at preventing shots.

I think Marner will be a great player, but as much as it would sting, we have lots of other players that can score. We don't have much in the way of elite defensemen. Especially one that would plug the biggest hole on the roster.

Also, I think if they traded him, it is extremely likely he will re-sign. It is extremely rare that premier players leave contending teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This makes no sense. By this logic you wouldn't have had much interest in McDavid a year ago because his team had missed the playoffs. Doughty is fantastic player, the fact that his team sucked last season doesn't change that.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

He's a top ten defenseman in the NHL. He is also entering his age 28 season. He's a core piece, and you make room in your budget for him.

Bit of a tangent here ... I agree in theory that for a resigned Doughty I would trade either of those two as a centerpiece but the problem is fitting in his salary. This is the problem with the Marleau signing - we have no more cap flexibility to speak of. Would have rather not have overpaid for a 38 year old winger and saved out bullets in case something better came along.

I imagine an extension would look similar to Brent Burns' (~$8MM cap hit). You then build around him, Matthews, whichever of Nylander\Marner you don't trade, and then those premium secondary pieces (Rielly, Kadri, Andersen, Zaitsev).

To initially fit him, you include salary on the way out (i.e. a JVR), and don't re-sign Jake Gardiner when he's up. Its more than do-able.

The Marleau contract runs off in three years. Wouldn't really effect this.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I really like Doughty, would like to see him on the Leafs...but trading one of our young studs? No thanks, let's stay on course.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, I would move Nylander if it's known Doughty will re-sign here.
Has he actually said he "won't re-sign with the Kings" ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, I would move Nylander if it's known Doughty will re-sign here.
Has he actually said he "won't re-sign with the Kings" ?

“My first love will always be L.A.,” he said. “It’s one of the best organizations in all of sports, not just hockey. It’s unbelievable. They treat us first-class, and it’s a good place to play. Living in Los Angeles, you can’t beat it. I’d love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn’t going in the right direction ... I want to win Cups. I don’t give a s*** where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that’s the bottom line.”

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
how about Gardiner, JVR/Bozak plus a mid tier young winger?

If LA trades Doughty, they are going into a rebuild and looking for young players, top prospects and high draft picks. This isn't a package that fills such a need.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
how about Gardiner, JVR/Bozak plus a mid tier young winger?

Does nothing.

If we trade for Doughty, it'll cost us Marner or Nylander to begin with.

I don't do the trade. I'd love to have Doughty here, but we can't make deals that only benefit us short-term. And any time a player is about to hit UFA, especially a high-value add such as this, there'll be so many suitors that the chance for any team to get him is pretty slim.

We shouldn't take chances with our core.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
If LA trades Doughty, they are going into a rebuild and looking for young players, top prospects and high draft picks. This isn't a package that fills such a need.

Not sure if rebuild for them is an option ATM with some of those big long term contracts they have.

A good package of leafs players for doughty I think could potentially make both teams better

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
A year from now as a rental I don't see him commanding an offer like that. I'd offer Liljegren, 2 1sts + though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's a top ten defenseman in the NHL. He is also entering his age 28 season. He's a core piece, and you make room in your budget for him.

I imagine an extension would look similar to Brent Burns' (~$8MM cap hit). You then build around him, Matthews, whichever of Nylander\Marner you don't trade, and then those premium secondary pieces (Rielly, Kadri, Andersen, Zaitsev).

To initially fit him, you include salary on the way out (i.e. a JVR), and don't re-sign Jake Gardiner when he's up. Its more than do-able.

The Marleau contract runs off in three years. Wouldn't really effect this.

I suppose anything's "do-able", it would much, much easier to do if we weren't stuck with Marleau though. And losing Gardiner because we're paying Marleau would be terrible.

Doughty, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev with Liljegren and Dermott on the way is potentially dominant. Without Gardiner still good but not as good.

This discussion is probably a waste of time as if a resigned Doughty was on the market, I'm sure LA could do much better than Marner and a 1st round pick.

I'd bet a ton that whoever signs Doughty will be paying him more than 8m per season, perhaps much more.

Anyhow, I'll stop derailing this thread with talk about Marleau.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
I suppose anything's "do-able", it would much, much easier to do if we weren't stuck with Marleau though. And losing Gardiner because we're paying Marleau would be terrible.

Doughty, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev with Liljegren and Dermott on the way is potentially dominant. Without Gardiner still good but not as good.

This discussion is probably a waste of time as if a resigned Doughty was on the market, I'm sure LA could do much better than Marner and a 1st round pick.

I'd bet a ton that whoever signs Doughty will be paying him more than 8m per season, perhaps much more.

Anyhow, I'll stop derailing this thread with talk about Marleau.

I would see a potential package as Marner, 1st, Carrick for Doughty and some other add in of debatable value.

I know it's a risk, but players like Doughty don't become available often, and it's obviously questionable on whether he would even be available now, but in a hypothetical I think that's a basis for a package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad