Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I suppose anything's "do-able", it would much, much easier to do if we weren't stuck with Marleau though. And losing Gardiner because we're paying Marleau would be terrible.

Doughty, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev with Liljegren and Dermott on the way is potentially dominant. Without Gardiner still good but not as good.

This discussion is probably a waste of time as if a resigned Doughty was on the market, I'm sure LA could do much better than Marner and a 1st round pick.

I'd bet a ton that whoever signs Doughty will be paying him more than 8m per season, perhaps much more.

Anyhow, I'll stop derailing this thread with talk about Marleau.

:laugh: You just wrote a post that was a Marleau sandwich. It's essentially like saying "don't think of elephants" and expecting someone to not think of elephants.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Aging elite asset probably best year are behind, with a big cap hit for an up and coming potential 1st line star with a low cap hit.

As much as Doughty would address some glaring gaps today, IMO long term its not the best move for the Leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
“My first love will always be L.A.,†he said. “It’s one of the best organizations in all of sports, not just hockey. It’s unbelievable. They treat us first-class, and it’s a good place to play. Living in Los Angeles, you can’t beat it. I’d love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn’t going in the right direction ... I want to win Cups. I don’t give a s*** where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that’s the bottom line.â€Â

Thanks, I had seen that one where he says "I'd love to re-sign in L.A." that's why I thought it odd the OP says "he won't re-sign in L.A.".

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seems like a big need filled and a great idea at the moment...but...

I might rather go the free agent route instead of trade. The risk is we might not land him, but maybe we can also make other moves instead of dealing Nylander or Marner, as moves will still have to be made to accommodate Doughty's cap. What we think of Liljegren is also a factor. Tricky to put eggs in a future basket, but it's a promising looking future. A right side D of Doughty-Zaitsev-Liljegren would be something, but could we do that capwise and maintain/improve other areas as needed?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
:laugh: You just wrote a post that was a Marleau sandwich. It's essentially like saying "don't think of elephants" and expecting someone to not think of elephants.

??

I said what I had to say about Marleau and then said I'm done with the subject as I don't want to derail the discussion. I also addressed a few of your points that have nothing to do with Marleau.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
??

I said what I had to say about Marleau and then said I'm done with the subject as I don't want to derail the discussion. I also addressed a few of your points that have nothing to do with Marleau.

I'm not saying you did it on purpose, I just found it funny.

I'm not criticizing at all; I too dislike(d) and criticize(d) the Marleau contract, and feel that it hinders flexibility going forward. And its completely relevant to this hypothetical conversation.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Great talent with a lot of miles on that body. When Dmen crash, they go quickly.

Some Dmen play at a high level for a very long time so I see no reason why Doughty won't do so. If our management team felt like Doughty had many good years left, I would trust their judgement. By the same token, if they felt that he was likely to start declining soon, I would trust that as well. Theoretically though, Weber is still a top 10 Dman at age 32, why can't Doughty be an all-star at age 35? I think it's very possible that he will be elite for many years to come and as I think our best chance at a cup is roughly the next 10 years or so, I trade Marner for Doughty easily. Our chances at a cup go down a bit for the end of that 10 year period but on the other hand, they go up quite a bit for the beginning of that 10 year period. Adding Doughty basically makes us a contender today. JMHO.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As a UFA, there is no question you make an offer. A trade... that is a tough one to swallow, and we likely wouldn't want to give up the assets that would absolutely be required to make it happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not saying you did it on purpose, I just found it funny.

I'm not criticizing at all; I too dislike(d) and criticize(d) the Marleau contract, and feel that it hinders flexibility going forward. And its completely relevant to this hypothetical conversation.

:thumbu::thumbu:

Doughty is so awesome. I'm a huge fan of both Marner and Nylander and there are very few players in the league that I'd even consider trading them for. Doughty is right near the top of that list though. He's exactly what we need and if a resigned Doughty was available, we'd be fools not to inquire about him. Unfortunately, the cost would probably be prohibitive though, I just don't see Marner/Nylander and a 1st getting it done.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Really? I always thought they peaked late.

What happens after the peak? Has he already peaked? No player in Doughty's birth year has played more hockey that him, he plays a lot of tough physical minutes every night, he plays a hard game, he has a history of concussions and "upper body" injuries.

He may be 28, but that is 28 with many many tough and long miles on that body.

I would love him on our team, if we didn't have to give up one of the big three and if caps were not an issue.

Same with Marleau I love having him on our team but the cap hit and the fact he has so many miles on his body is a red flag to me. Maybe Marleau is just one of those rubber men who don't get hurt but I still feel he is over due for a big injury.

Signing big stars like Doughty is not as easy as just backing up the Brinks truck, there are so many implications when you sign a star of that caliber.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd only sign him as a ufa. He's not even loyal to the team that drafted him and got him 2 cups. Why would we gut our team in the hopes that he'd be loyal to us?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What happens after the peak? Has he already peaked? No player in Doughty's birth year has played more hockey that him, he plays a lot of tough physical minutes every night, he plays a hard game, he has a history of concussions and "upper body" injuries.

I would love him on our team, if we didn't have to give up one of the big three and if caps were not an issue.

Same with Marleau I love having him on our team but the cap hit and the fact he has so many miles on his body is a red flag to me. Maybe Marleau is just one of those rubber men who don't get hurt but I still feel he is over due for a big injury.

Signing big stars like Doughty is not as easy as just backing up the Brinks truck, there are so many implications when you sign a star of that caliber.

The fact that Marleau is still good despite being almost 11 years older than Doughty suggests that Doughty may have many good years left.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He hasn't missed a game in three years... and only four games missed the year before that....

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Some Dmen play at a high level for a very long time so I see no reason why Doughty won't do so. If our management team felt like Doughty had many good years left, I would trust their judgement. By the same token, if they felt that he was likely to start declining soon, I would trust that as well. Theoretically though, Weber is still a top 10 Dman at age 32, why can't Doughty be an all-star at age 35? I think it's very possible that he will be elite for many years to come and as I think our best chance at a cup is roughly the next 10 years or so, I trade Marner for Doughty easily. Our chances at a cup go down a bit for the end of that 10 year period but on the other hand, they go up quite a bit for the beginning of that 10 year period. Adding Doughty basically makes us a contender today. JMHO.

That is fair , I agree.

I'm not a fan of trading young stars or picks for established players, but what you said is fair.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The fact that Marleau is still good despite being almost 11 years older than Doughty suggests that Doughty may have many good years left.

No it really doesn't. That's like saying mackinnon stagnating after his rookie year suggests matthews may do the same. It is nonsensical

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'd only sign him as a ufa. He's not even loyal to the team that drafted him and got him 2 cups. Why would we gut our team in the hopes that he'd be loyal to us?

Trading one of Marner/Nylander is hardly "gutting our team". And as far as loyalty goes, if Doughty wins 2 cups for us and then signs elsewhere, I think I can live with the lack of loyalty. :sarcasm:

This talk of loyalty doesn't make much sense to me. It's a business, these are professionals we're talking about. If you sign a player to a contract, you should have right to expect that they play their best while you're paying them. You do not have the right to expect that they will never play elsewhere just like the players have no right to expect that the team will always be willing to resign them. This of the term "free agency" and think of what the word "free" means. Do you see how that works?

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
So we have a problem fitting Doughty's contract in right now, but everyone wants to add him as a FA in two years (without moving one of the young stars). How do we figure without moving one of their salaries we fit him in as a FA, but making a deal now won't work?

When aquiring Drew "Norris Trophy winning, 28 yr old top 5 dman in the game" Doughty, you make the cap f***in work. We are talking elite dman in the game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad