Do You Have Confidence in Pierre Dorion as a General Manager?

Do You Have Confidence in Pierre Dorion as a General Manager?

• Total voters

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Given what we have seen from Pierre Dorion thus far, and the fact that he will be our GM for the forseeable future and will be leading a rebuild, I thought it would be worthwhile to create a poll to see what the confidence level is in him as a General Manager.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If he was allowed to make decisions and not have to bend at Melnyk's every whim?

Maybe, I think he could be good.

Right now? Hell no, he is Melnyk's puppet.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
I'm fine with PD as long as he has the right support and org structure in place.

This SH$% show isn't on him.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
If he was allowed to make decisions and not have to bend at Melnyk's every whim?

Maybe, I think he could be good.

Right now? Hell no, he is Melnyk's puppet.

There's so much more to being a GM tho.

He's a PR disaster who can't read people, communicate effectively, and has zero professional etiquette.

Melnyk or not, this man is nowhere qualified to be General Manager of an NHL team. He could absolutely be somewhere behind the scenes like he was with Murray, but as the guy, he's a complete disaster.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
The guy is delusional, and delusional people do not make good managers in any industry.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He's a PR disaster who can't read people, communicate effectively, and has zero professional etiquette.

Melnyk or not, this man is nowhere qualified to be General Manager of an NHL team. He could absolutely be somewhere behind the scenes like he was with Murray, but as the guy, he's a complete disaster.

Agreed.

I'm just saying we've never actually seen him be the GM. Melnyk has been the GM since Bryan passed...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Not if you have a president. Like I said in the other thread. Dorion needs someone like Shanahan as president. Shanahan is the face of the front office in Toronto. Not Dubas. Dubas can focus on the nuts and bolts of GMing. Alfie should have been that guy for us. But Melnyk chased him away.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Not if you have a president. Like I said in the other thread. Dorion needs someone like Shanahan as president. Shanahan is the face of the front office in Toronto. Not Dubas. Dubas can focus on the nuts and bolts of GMing. Alfie should have been that guy for us. But Melnyk chased him away.

Dubas has all of the qualities you look for in a professional. Sure, Shanny is the President, but you see more of Dubas in the media than Shanny.

I don't care who is above Pierre Dorion, he's going to be a bad GM. That doesn't mean he's not a great talent evaluator or a really nice guy. He's just simply not enough of a leader to be a GM.

Reactions: bert and Karl Prime

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Eugene Melnyk will NEVER pay someone to be above his General Manager, thus having to pay someone more than the salary he is already paying his GM.

Melnyk is the President, CEO, COO, and whatever else he wants to be, he definitely isn't paying anyone else to work in the front office.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Eugene Melnyk will NEVER pay someone to be above his General Manager, thus having to pay someone more than the salary he is already paying his GM.

Melnyk is the President, CEO, COO, and whatever else he wants to be, he definitely isn't paying anyone else to work in the front office.

No shit.

Just another reason Melnyk needs to go.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think in a normal situation, he'd probably do ok. Under the current constraints, I think he's over his head.

Think of him as a 3rd pair Dman playing on the top pair; of course he looks terrible, but you put him in a situation that asks less of him and maybe he can progress.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
He will not work in Hockey again when he is finally fired ...No respect around the league..Puppet

Reactions: bert

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
PROS:

Got some good pieces from players who didn't want to be here. Drafted well. Belleville is doing ok. Prospects are coming along. Fired the coach. Some good trades. Effective in print in relaying his thoughts.

CONS:

Panicked with the Hoffman trade. Too "off hands" with the coach. Allows stupid coaching decisions to be prolonged. Some bad trades. Talks poorly when in public and makes mistakes when every word is under the microscope.

IMPROVEMENTS:

Needs more backbone. Hopefully the firing today does that. He has done everything else but fire someone, so hopefully that helps build character. Staying away from the media is not the answer. Has to be more transparent but also be firm in his beliefs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad