Do you guys not get sick of the kids first theme at SBP?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I dont have a clue what some people are talking about...

I regularily hear the following at SBP:

-Linkin Park (Bleed it Out, Faint)
-Metallica (Enter Sandman)
-AC/DC (Thunderstruck, Back in Black)
-Black Keys (Howling for You)
-White Stripes (Seven Nation Army)
-Weezer (Say it Ain't So)
-Jimmy Eat World (The Middle)

Obviously they play a lot of whatever is popular ATM, but its hardly terrible.

It's not just the music we are talking about. It is the entire atmosphere.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That's because those matches are not plagued by TV time-outs, at least in the English Premiership games. Nothing much else to do but create some artificial enthusiasm during the time-outs here I guess.

Going way back, it was a hockey tradition to have an organist as the source of music during hockey games. During the world juniors a few years ago in Buffalo, they had an organist at one of the rinks they used who happened to be a very good musician. I thought it added a lot and I wish more teams would return to that.

Just a thought, but if you want to have an Ottawa identity, when they put up that stupid "let's make some noise!!!" thing, everybody should make animal noises. A bleating sheep noise would work fine.
Agreed on all counts with this post. Hate that "let's make noise" thing.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I'm 14 years old and I mostly agree with the OP. The music makes me cringe sometimes but that's because I despise most of the current "popular" music. There's always a lot of young kids at the games, so I guess we're stuck with whatever's gonna please them.

There's too many distractions during the game, for example the cheerleaders piss me off a lot. The last two games I went to, we sat at the end of the aisle, by the stairs so the cheerleaders were always nearby. Seriously, I came to watch hockey, not have girls wave their arms in my face. Sparty is a bit annoying too, he comes and bangs his drum during the play, trying to get our attention and wanting us to make noise. Like **** off dude, I'm trying to watch the game. Do that prior to the faceoff, not after.

I also think the noise-meter thing is stupid but I don't think that's only at SBP. I'll cheer and clap if we score or someone makes a big play (hard hit, save, clear on PK, etc.) but why should I start making a ton of noise when nothing is happening?

Complaining is fun. :nod:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's not just the music we are talking about. It is the entire atmosphere.

Maybe Im in the minority, i go to hockey games to watch hockey. The rest of the presentation doesn't matter one bit to me. Im not crazy about the music, or the intermission shows but who cares, that's not why I go.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm 14 years old and I mostly agree with the OP. The music makes me cringe sometimes but that's because I despise most of the current "popular" music. There's always a lot of young kids at the games, so I guess we're stuck with whatever's gonna please them.

There's too many distractions during the game, for example the cheerleaders piss me off a lot. The last two games I went to, we sat at the end of the aisle, by the stairs so the cheerleaders were always nearby. Seriously, I came to watch hockey, not have girls wave their arms in my face. Sparty is a bit annoying too, he comes and bangs his drum during the play, trying to get our attention and wanting us to make noise. Like **** off dude, I'm trying to watch the game. Do that prior to the faceoff, not after.

I also think the noise-meter thing is stupid but I don't think that's only at SBP. I'll cheer and clap if we score or someone makes a big play (hard hit, save, clear on PK, etc.) but why should I start making a ton of noise when nothing is happening?

Complaining is fun. :nod:

But they are just the right age for you! ;)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd rather complain about your grammar.

I think you're being silly here. The thread topic asked for our opinion, and you're effectively shutting everyone down who actually has one.

My opinion is that if you want to complain about the atmosphere at SBP then you are acting like a child

Who gives a flying **** about the in-game entertainement? Children, that's who.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
16 year olds are kids :P

I find teenagers generally more annoying then little children. Where is the thread complaining about them? RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Yeah,i agree 16 year olds are kids...But i think back to when i was first driving. The entertainment for that age is similar to college. You like to drink, party, etc. You like mature subject matter. I'm not saying let's make the place a strip club, but for the most part 16-30 year olds have a lot in common(from the TV shoes they watch, the music they listen to, and the things they do)

There's more things that i have in common with when i was 16(i'm turning 24 this year) than things i don't have in common. I'm basically the same person,but more mature and more respectful. I realize not everyone wants to know about me in public. But i still like the same music i did when i was 16. I still like to drink like when i was 16. I still like to flirt with girls(albeit older ones) like when i was 16. etc.

ANYWAYS, that's not the point. The point is, the people that know the most about the team. The people that follow stats, make sure to watch every game,etc, for the most part are 16-30 year olds. And they have a lot of similarities. Maybe they should put more focus on them? People that grew up in the 80s and early 90s. They're starting to have jobs, or finish school, and are starting to go to more and more games. I'm at the age where i buy a dozen tickets and go with a bunch of a friends, have a beer or 3, and start chants. Maybe they should cater to that crowd a bit more?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My point is your going to watch a hockey game

Who cares about the other silly stuff that goes on?

Oh noes, you'd much rather complaint about things that aren't meant for you

And i enjoy the senators, especially when they win. But why can't they improve all the extra stuff? Anyone who's been to multiple arenas for multiple sporting events have noticed ottawa lacks. What's wrong with improving it?

Yes, we'd all rather improve the team instead, but they aren't the same people working on these things. We can have both.

If it was murray working the music and such, then yeah, i would agree with you. I would say "murray, who gives a **** about the music, worry about the on ice product!" but since it's different people working on each thing, can't i have both products being improved?

You say "who cares about that other stuff"...well, why do the senators put money into all that silly stuff? Obviously the senators care. So why can't i give my opinion in a thread on how to improve something the senators care enough to fund.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I agree about the underage cheerleaders.

It is kinda creepy. Either get adult cheerleaders or don't have them at all.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I agree about the underage cheerleaders.

It is kinda creepy. Either get adult cheerleaders or don't have them at all.

This. I'd rather scrap the cheerleaders altogether, and bring back the ice girls. Some of the teams in the states have very nice looking ice girls :nod:

That^, The music, and the commercial/intermission videos can have more of adult sense of humour. Not crazy expletives and foul language obviously, but just jokes that "if you're old enough to get, you get, and if not, then that's fine too".

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And i enjoy the senators, especially when they win. But why can't they improve all the extra stuff? Anyone who's been to multiple arenas for multiple sporting events have noticed ottawa lacks. What's wrong with improving it?

Yes, we'd all rather improve the team instead, but they aren't the same people working on these things. We can have both.

If it was murray working the music and such, then yeah, i would agree with you. I would say "murray, who gives a **** about the music, worry about the on ice product!" but since it's different people working on each thing, can't i have both products being improved?

You say "who cares about that other stuff"...well, why do the senators put money into all that silly stuff? Obviously the senators care. So why can't i give my opinion in a thread on how to improve something the senators care enough to fund.

You can give your opinion on anything you want

Just don't play the victim when others (or in this case, me) tell you what they think of your opinion though

I agree that the atmosphere is very kid centric at SBP

I just don't give a damn about it and my opinion on the matter is that I can't believe something like in-game entertainement matters to some of you: even if it was "better" it still wouldn't matter.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Maybe Im in the minority, i go to hockey games to watch hockey. The rest of the presentation doesn't matter one bit to me. Im not crazy about the music, or the intermission shows but who cares, that's not why I go.

I cant stand this argument.

Should we also ditch booze? I mean, hockey is all that matters.

I dont think we need seats...all that matters is hockey.

Why are there bathrooms at SBP? Im just there to watch hockey.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Just don't play the victim when others (or in this case, me) tell you what they think of your opinion though

I just don't give a damn about it and my opinion on the matter is that I can't believe something like in-game entertainement matters to some of you: even if it was "better" it still wouldn't matter.

what "they" think of my opinion? They don't know what my opinion is, so how do you know what they're opinion is on my opinion?

Well clearly the senators agree with me, and not you, that they DO care about in-game entertainment, or they wouldn't have any.

The fact they spend time and money to put together in-game shows they do care. And if we can improve it, it is better.

Improvement on something small scale is still improvement.

The fact you say "even if it was better, it still wouldn't make a difference" is pure BS. Everything make a small difference. Every improvement adds up.

If you asked me if id rather go to a game like is, or a game where it's the same team, same price, but there's better food,better entertainment, better beer prices, etc, i will have a better time...even if its only by 5%. All these little things can add to your experience.

A restaurant's setting can improve your experience. Who cares if you're sitting beside a trash can, and eat with plastic cutlery, on an crappy uncomfortable chair, and there are rats running around. The food is good, and that's what you pay for right? And it's silly for the fans of the food to ask for better chairs, and a cleaner athmosphere, because it's all about the food, and no one cares about improvements elsewhere? right.

At the very least, read the bold. ^^^^

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

I find it amusing that its generally the people with this attitude that complain our fanbase isnt loud enough, or doesnt show during rival games.

You know who is loud and makes a difference at rival games? 18-30 year old males. Bring them into the rink. They are also generally bad with their money, so why the Sens wouldnt want them there is beyond me.

Part of me wonders how different the atmosphere at Sens games would be if the rink wasnt out in Kanata. I bet they would appeal to a totally different crowd.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
what "they" think of my opinion? They don't know what my opinion is, so how do you know what they're opinion is on my opinion?

Well clearly the senators agree with me, and not you, that they DO care about in-game entertainment, or they wouldn't have any.

The fact they spend time and money to put together in-game shows they do care. And if we can improve it, it is better.

Improvement on something small scale is still improvement.

The fact you say "even if it was better, it still wouldn't make a difference" is pure BS. Everything make a small difference. Every improvement adds up.

If you asked me if id rather go to a game like is, or a game where it's the same team, same price, but there's better food,better entertainment, better beer prices, etc, i will have a better time...even if its only by 5%. All these little things can add to your experience.

A restaurant's setting can improve your experience. Who cares if you're sitting beside a trash can, and eat with plastic cutlery, on an crappy uncomfortable chair, and there are rats running around. The food is good, and that's what you pay for right? And it's silly for the fans of the food to ask for better chairs, and a cleaner athmosphere, because it's all about the food, and no one cares about improvements elsewhere? right.

At the very least, read the bold. ^^^^

Sorry I thought you were the thread starter.

I'd say that comparing the atmosphere in a restaurant to a hockey arena is being a bit disingenuous: one is meant to be intimate the other is meant to get 20,000 people to watch a hockey game.

Now I'm not saying atmosphere doesn't matter, I'm saying that I feel it doesn't matter enough to warrant complaining about it.

I could just be taking out some frustration to be quite frank: people on this board rail about so much stuff at the arena: people leave early, the entertainement sucks, the food is bad, parking is bad etc.....
I've never had a bad experience going to SBP (never seen more than a couple of peope leave early either) and I find people on here complain about the silliest of things and I will admit, now that I think about it, it seems to get to me more than it should.

I find it amusing that its generally the people with this attitude that complain our fanbase isnt loud enough, or doesnt show during rival games.

You know who is loud and makes a difference at rival games? 18-30 year old males. Bring them into the rink. They are also generally bad with their money, so why the Sens wouldnt want them there is beyond me.

Part of me wonders how different the atmosphere at Sens games would be if the rink wasnt out in Kanata. I bet they would appeal to a totally different crowd.

I don't complain about the fanbase not being loud

I don't care about our fanbase

Every game I've been to has been plenty loud

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Ive been a STH since 2005. My family has had ST since day 1. I go to almost every game...and if you think only a few people leave early you are nuts. There is a mass exodus every game, even when tied (like last night)

I do agree that people criticize how loud the crowd is way too much, though I think it could be greatly improved with a better atmosphere. I mean, look at how many people would whine and ***** that people complained about our scoreboard. If you go look at those threads you got the same arguments "it doesnt matter at all, you are there to watch hockey". Now everyone LOVES the scoreboard. Id bet you money there isnt a single person who would take back the old one because "all that matters is the hockey"

Last edited:

biffs

Jan 9, 2008
www.failrun.com
www.failrun.com
This year its especially worse because they are giving away a ticket for a kid for every adult ticket you buy for almost every game.

The games are 'selling out', but its going to be a rough year for the sens when they are getting 19,000 people but only 15,000 tix are paid for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad