Do you guys not get sick of the kids first theme at SBP?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Thing is, I, and many of the people you hear saying this, am inbetween. We are the first generation of born and raised Sens fans. The team got here when I was 6.

It made sense when the Sens knew they wouldnt win over the older crowd...they werent going to be Sens fans either way. But their core fanbase isnt children anymore, its 18-30 year olds.

Theirs a fine line to walk, but I do think the sens are a little too kiddy. They have metro family nights, use those to do it.

This.

I'm now 24 and have been a Sens fan all my life. I am close to entering the workforce and being able to attend more games than I usually do just being a student. There are a lot of people I know in this position and I personally hate the music and entertainment compared to what it used to be.

When I was younger there were mixes of all genres of music, funny video clips about players or relevant clips from movies etc. It was entertainment. Now it's just bad. I always see people in other GDT's commenting on how bad the SBP music is.

Back in the day there was a goal montage that they played that featured a short clip of Fred and Barney from the Flintstones dancing together. My Dad always thought that was the most hilarious thing, and he laughed at it everytime.

It's the little things, you know?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Allthough i suppose at times it can be annoying to cater to the young crowd, i myself find hoardes of opposing fans coming into our building, laughing in our face and talking there trash with no real consequence the most annoying thing related to the Sens so i will happily put up with the "teen dance" if it fortifies Sens army with a strong loyal following in the future! I am pumped to see this team and building become one over the next 5-10 years

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I saw my first non-ottawa NHL game last month here in Calgary. It was quite the eye opener.

HankHillC3H8

Oct 30, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd rather have a European soccer match atmosphere... No music, no gimmicks, no announcers, just play.

European soccer matches have announcers. You just hear them alot less because they only announce goals scorers and the amount of stoppage time etc.

When I'm at SBP for a game I ignore the **** that's not geared for me. But I still hear some good music now and again (needs more Metal). I remember when Alfie scored in the last game in Montreal they played 2 min of Blackened by Metallica. :yo: (starts at 0:09)

Also an excuse to post Alfie's goal again :nod:

Goat Boy

Jun 8, 2011
This.

I'm now 24 and have been a Sens fan all my life. I am close to entering the workforce and being able to attend more games than I usually do just being a student. There are a lot of people I know in this position and I personally hate the music and entertainment compared to what it used to be.

When I was younger there were mixes of all genres of music, funny video clips about players or relevant clips from movies etc. It was entertainment. Now it's just bad. I always see people in other GDT's commenting on how bad the SBP music is.

Back in the day there was a goal montage that they played that featured a short clip of Fred and Barney from the Flintstones dancing together. My Dad always thought that was the most hilarious thing, and he laughed at it everytime.

It's the little things, you know?

I know exactly what you mean. When I was a kid, one of the first games I attended went to overtime. As soon as regulation ended, a minute long clip popped up on the big screen showing cuts from movies and TV shows with people saying things like "Give me five more minutes", "Just five minutes, that's all I'm asking", etc. It was brilliant. Still the best in-game entertainment thing I've seen, and that was probably 15 years ago.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
ITT: People complaining about being able to go to an Ottawa Senators hockey game live instead of having to scramble to watch illegal online streams.

:p:

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
European soccer matches have announcers. You just hear them alot less because they only announce goals scorers and the amount of stoppage time etc.

When I'm at SBP for a game I ignore the **** that's not geared for me. But I still hear some good music now and again (needs more Metal). I remember when Alfie scored in the last game in Montreal they played 2 min of Blackened by Metallica. :yo: (starts at 0:09)

Also an excuse to post Alfie's goal again :nod:

Keywords "in Montreal"

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
The SBP is truly a pretty lame venue in terms of feeling like you're in an exciting hockey atmosphere and more like a being at the mall or like the OP states, at a high school dance. I have been to Joe Louis in Detroit, as well as Wells Fargo in Philly and they are both geared towards a more mature, older hockey fanbase.

I made the mistake of going to a metro family night game and never again. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend and I were the only fans in their 20's in our section and the ones besides us. Every stoppage has some absolute filth of a song come on followed by a bunch of brain dead kids dancing around like zombies. It got repetitive and annoying fast.

Last edited:

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Caveat to games at Scotiabank Place:

Playoffs. Our crowd rocks your face during the Playoffs.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
whenever they show some goofy 11 year old kid with his shirt off dancing on the big screen for those "fan of the game" or "dance for your dinner" competitions, i always, always, always wish they'd show some absolute blond rocket in a tight top and lulus dancing instead.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
If you are worried about the atmosphere not being mature enough I think you might be the one lacking in maturity

You're going with this?

Anyone who finds someone/something else immature is only immature themselves? Good to know.

Some of us in the 16-30 age group don't have kids. So we're too mature for stuff directed for kids, but we're not mature enough to have kids ourselves. What about us? Are we just immature and should ramp up the maturity and pop babies out so we can enjoy our kids enjoying themselves?

Like what was your point even.

Nabokov20

Karlsson for Chuck
Sep 21, 2009
Ottawa
Welcome to Ottawa, I'll be your guide. Simple supply and demand. Cause and effect. Give the people what they want.

All kidding/puns aside, Ottawa is a family/Gov't town. It is what it is.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Whatever the gimmick and target, I just wish there was less of it. But with sponsors to be promoted and everything programmed that isn't going to happen.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Welcome to Ottawa, I'll be your guide. Simple supply and demand. Cause and effect. Give the people what they want.

All kidding/puns aside, Ottawa is a family/Gov't town. It is what it is.

This.

I'm not sure if you notice, but there are TONS of kids at Sens games (below 12).. They are the ones that need to be entertained...

My entertainment comes on the ice...

my only issue is the young dancers...

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Interesting point by Jason York on the Team a while back about the ice girls shoveling the ice. He said it's very nice, but they do a lousy job of scraping the ice. The Sens have a lot of strong guys with 3 foot wide blades leaning into it and do a scrape.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
This.

I'm not sure if you notice, but there are TONS of kids at Sens games (below 12).. They are the ones that need to be entertained...

My entertainment comes on the ice...

Agreed. Kids are excited to be shown on the Jumbotron, dancing to Taio Cruz or whatever. I'm an insanely immature adult but my attention span is not so short I need to be spoon-fed tailor-made entertainment between whistles. Let the kids enjoy their formative experiences, and hoot and holler to your heart's content.

The one change I would suggest is that when there is natural momentum and noise in the crowd (go Sens go or Alfie chant, or a huge cheer after a save) and a whistle blows, to let the moment live rather than instantly drowning it out with the latest will.i.am and Britney song.

I should also say, maybe some atmospheres are particularly intense (Montreal?) or unique (Nashville?) but I've been to NHL games in Toronto, Detroit, Boston, New York, and Washington, NBA games in Boston and New York, MLB games in Detroit and Chicago, and an NFL game in Cleveland. The atmosphere, song choice, crowd intensity, and in-game entertainment is basically identical regardless of sport or venue. It has no effect on whether the games and my enjoyment thereof. The spiders at the NFL game, on the other hand...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You're going with this?

Anyone who finds someone/something else immature is only immature themselves? Good to know.

Some of us in the 16-30 age group don't have kids. So we're too mature for stuff directed for kids, but we're not mature enough to have kids ourselves. What about us? Are we just immature and should ramp up the maturity and pop babies out so we can enjoy our kids enjoying themselves?

16 year olds are kids :P

I find teenagers generally more annoying then little children. Where is the thread complaining about them? RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It's the Senators goal to cater to these young fans in Ottawa hoping that they will become passionate Senators fans like us, so in 15 years the "typical Senators fan" isn't a 38 year old women that's only complaint is that Mike Fisher is no longer on the team.

lafite

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

That's because those matches are not plagued by TV time-outs, at least in the English Premiership games. Nothing much else to do but create some artificial enthusiasm during the time-outs here I guess.

Going way back, it was a hockey tradition to have an organist as the source of music during hockey games. During the world juniors a few years ago in Buffalo, they had an organist at one of the rinks they used who happened to be a very good musician. I thought it added a lot and I wish more teams would return to that.

Just a thought, but if you want to have an Ottawa identity, when they put up that stupid "let's make some noise!!!" thing, everybody should make animal noises. A bleating sheep noise would work fine.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
When I was a kid, I thought the Sens overdid the kid thing. So that says something right there.

I'm almost 25 so I grew up with the team as well. I've ALWAYS found SBP to be lame. It's pretty sad to see, and it is quite frustrating to be a fan of a team who seems to value 7 year old kids more than adults. It's the market, I get it, but it's still the pits. We've just never been a badass team. Our marketing team is partly responsible for this. Corny TV commercials for ticket packages, and what is this "Sens Army" stuff? It sounds stupid and embarrassing as a Sens fan. The team is trying to label us fans with a name, and it bugs the crap out of me.

Thank god for playoffs.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You're going with this?

My point is your going to watch a hockey game

Who cares about the other silly stuff that goes on?

Oh noes, you'd much rather complaint about things that aren't meant for you

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
My point is your going to watch a hockey game

Who cares about the other silly stuff that goes on?

Oh noes, you'd much rather complaint about things that aren't meant for you

I'd rather complain about your grammar.

I think you're being silly here. The thread topic asked for our opinion, and you're effectively shutting everyone down who actually has one.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I dont have a clue what some people are talking about...

I regularily hear the following at SBP:

-Linkin Park (Bleed it Out, Faint)
-Metallica (Enter Sandman)
-AC/DC (Thunderstruck, Back in Black)
-Black Keys (Howling for You)
-White Stripes (Seven Nation Army)
-Weezer (Say it Ain't So)
-Jimmy Eat World (The Middle)

Obviously they play a lot of whatever is popular ATM, but its hardly terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad